The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-30-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest 728 View Post
In the end, who got put in or left out really doesn't detract from what IS in the film: very honest interviews, great footage, and wonderful music. Ringo Starr is priceless, and Tom Petty's interview is one of the last he gave before he passed away. And I somehow had forgotten how beautiful Michelle Phillips was.

Also, during the previews, they showed the trailer for "Remember My Name," the upcoming David Crosby biopic, which also looks quite good.
Interesting, that trailer insured I'd never watch it. I'm supposed to feel sorry for this self-absorbed clown? Long past time we stopped celebrating some of the worst examples of a historically self-absorbed generation.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

I was looking forward to seeing Echoes in the Canyon and enjoyed it for what it was. I'm sure that Jakob Dylan has a place in the music scene, but thought that showcasing he and his contemporaries took away from a tale about a music scene that they were not part of. I agree with others that a film about Laurel Canyon without Joni Mitchell is an egregious omission.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-30-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:51 PM

Default Enjoyed it

I saw it on NETFLIX last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially the Rickenbacker stuff. That sound just rings nicely in my ears.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Having read allot of different biographies and historical accounts in different areas including numerous books on Laurel Canyon and the birth of folk rock etc. I am always disappointed of the film makers renditions. A film makers take on a subject is like reading one biography of a person. Or one historians book on a subject or time period. They all suffer from their own limited knowledge of the subject being covered along with their own personal bias. Add to that in the case of a film makers is the added weight of the footage available and footage that doesn't cost to much along with the commercial aspect that is needed to pay the bills. In this case I suspect the usage of more up to date commercial artist help the commercial aspect but little to do with defining the historical aspect. They are often ment to be entertaining and not all that historically factual.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-30-2019, 06:37 PM

My opinion only. It could have, and should have, been so much more than it was. Less a documentary of Jakob Dylan's concert and album project and much more on the history and more from the people who are still alive and were there in the day.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

I watched it a couple of weeks ago, prior to realizing it was going to begin streaming. Like some of the others, I thought it was good, but not great, mostly b/c it seemed limited in the historical depths and long on the Jakob Dylan performance and cover album. Not something I'd bother to repeat.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

I just finished watching it. Glad I waited and didn’t go to the theatre to see it. But it was enjoyable. Better than a lot of stuff I see on TV.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Tangential I know, but there is a movie from 2003 called "Laurel Canyon", where Frances McDormand plays an aging producer living in the Canyon. Great cast, decent movie, but maybe of interest to some here.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/laurel_canyon
Old 10-31-2019, 10:08 PM

Just viewed it on Netflix, and wow, was there way too much of Jakob Dylan. Hard to imagine anyone could act more disinterested than that guy. Wow.
scott
Old 11-01-2019, 04:40 AM

I didn't care for it. Too much of Jakob Dylan. Note to Jakob, don't interview people with your arms crossed over your chest. It communicates you don't want to hear what they have to say.

I don't like his voice either, and there was way too much of it. I was looking forward to this film, and i enjoy films of this nature very much, and watch them all. This one I give zero stars to. Just my opinion.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Interesting, that trailer insured I'd never watch it. I'm supposed to feel sorry for this self-absorbed clown? Long past time we stopped celebrating some of the worst examples of a historically self-absorbed generation.
I couldn’t resist getting sidetracked by your commentary.
Being myself a “child of the sixties”, there is a lot of truth in what you said.
I always try to remember that not everyone from then was or is like that although it seems pervasive. Although I haven’t seen the movie yet and probably will, I will try to keep things in the musical context. I find myself being resolute in staying away from the other stuff to be healthier and less frustrating.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-01-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I was looking forward to seeing Echoes in the Canyon and enjoyed it for what it was. I'm sure that Jakob Dylan has a place in the music scene, but thought that showcasing he and his contemporaries took away from a tale about a music scene that they were not part of. I agree with others that a film about Laurel Canyon without Joni Mitchell is an egregious omission.
RP -

I have to agree 100%. The LA music scene was so much larger than this film, but then, I have garnered this over many years of listening, and digesting many articles, and many books. Everybody knew everybody, and if they didn't, they eventually crossed paths.

And, as you have said, the documentary was enjoyable and I enjoyed it for what it was.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I couldn’t resist getting sidetracked by your commentary.
Being myself a “child of the sixties”, there is a lot of truth in what you said.
While it is true that Cosby himself speaks to how selfish and difficult he was, but beyond that ?
As a child coming of age in the 60's also, I would have to say "na not really"., Sweeping negative generalizations are no more objectively accurate for observing behavior on the basis of generation, than they are for race. And arbitrarily adding the word "historically" does not change that.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-01-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
While it is true that Cosby himself speaks to how selfish and difficult he was, but beyond that ?
As a child coming of age in the 60's also, I would have to say "na not really"., Sweeping negative generalizations are no more objectively accurate for observing behavior on the basis of generation, than they are for race. And arbitrarily adding the word "historically" does not change that.
Yeah, it's like some guy talking about how "historically self-absorbed" Millennials are. Or any other "generation".

Sure is fun to proudly proclaim how much better one is than those people though.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Unfortunately focusing on Crosby and or "his" generations purported lack of attributes , is a distraction from discussion on the movie itself.

So back to the OP, while agree J Dylan seems to be fairly lackluster as an interviewer . And the movie does appear to be as much promo for him and his cohorts playing the covers. That doesn't really bother me . The rest of movie I found interesting enough to have made it worthwhile

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic