The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2019, 09:33 AM

Default Ovation Elite-style guitars vs Standard Soundhole ones.

Describe their tones and let's compare them. In my case, the Elite-style are really balanced between lows, mids and highs, more than many other guitars I've played, with the possible exception of my 414CE. What do you think?
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 05-29-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

This was a long time ago for me, but I found the standard soundhole guitars louder with a broader tone and a little more bass. I found the multi-soundhole guitars to be a little quieter, more subdued. Not a dramatic difference, just a small one.

I remember one knowledgeable shop guy telling me that the elites were really made to be played plugged in which would kinda explain the difference I heard. To some degree, one could make the plugged-in argument about all Ovations because they weren't the loudest acoustics and yet their electronics led the industry for a while. But what this guy meant was that his description applied even more to the elite styles.

I imagine others will feel differently, but that's what I remember from decades ago. Mine was a very enjoyable guitar to play.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:18 AM

The Elite epaulette design and bracing were derived from the carbon topped Adamas which have much thinner and more responsive tops than wooden guitars. After several years of success with the Adamas (priced equivalent to a D45 at the time) Ovation figured that they would design a more affordable wood topped guitars, and it seems people liked it. When I got my Adamas it took me a while to get used to the sound coming from a "different place" than the center soundhole, but everyone else who listens to it comments on the immense power and sustain of the guitar. I haven't played an Elite and don't know how it compares to the Adamas, but I my center-soundhole Legend guitar is also great. I play all of them acoustically and have never plugged them in. But I think if they have a shallow bowl, or are the overseas "Celebrity" brand they are likely better plugged in.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
In my case, the Elite-style are really balanced between lows, mids and highs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I found the standard soundhole guitars louder with a broader tone and a little more bass....
With the obvious caveat that individual guitars can vary considerably, the above quotes sum up my overall experiences in two lines or less. They are different, but that doesn't mean I can't like'em both just fine.

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion