The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-14-2019, 05:14 PM

Default Chromebook opinions, recommendations?

I'm thinking about getting a Chromebook. I would be using it exclusively for web surfing, emailing, streaming videos and music. I would not be running a DAW on it, or installing any software (I assume it comes pre-loaded with everything I need for the above).

I already have a Windows 10 laptop that I am happy with, but I want something else to tote around the house and take on the road.

Thoughts?

Suggestions for a specific model? (Budget max = $350)

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2019, 05:20 PM

Some really like those. But, I have a Ultrabook that boots in under 20 seconds, is just over 2 pounds, and can run anything. So, I personally, have never seen the use in Chromebooks.

I do get the updating is done in the background and it'll probably be stable longer with less programs on it though.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 06-15-2019, 06:54 PM

I would mostly look at what has a business class warranty because tech stuff is so "you get what you pay for".
Old 06-16-2019, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

I am posting this from a refurb Samsung Chromebook a 500C. I got it from Amazon, I am sure for under $200. Never had any issues. It is the one I use for most for surfing. I also have Win10 laptop (wife) and Mac Air (me). I am a retired IT professional and have used and maintained many PC type products. The Chromebook is for me the best compromise of features and safety. I have used Linux on desktops and laptops and would also say it could be reasonably safe but it is more for real gearheads. I still use Win7 and Win10 on desktops but that is certainly more work for me. (backup, virus, etc.).

The main reason I use a Chromebook is safety. From Google:

"The operating system is Sandboxing. On a Chromebook, each web page and application runs in a restricted environment called a "sandbox."
If the Chromebook is directed to an infected page, it can't affect the other tabs or apps on the computer, or anything else on the machine. The threat is contained."

You will have to set up a Google id. That password is required so DO NOT forget it.

Lee
Old 06-16-2019, 09:13 AM

HP X2 is near top of the line in specs and is usu about 500, great choice. I love the small (10in) asus c101 flip, its 2in1 (fold into tablet) very small for great couch and on the go, its a bit older and slower but I've just bought a second one due to my breaking keys off.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:23 AM

We got all three of our kids a Samsung Chromebook for $99 each at a Walmart Black Friday deal last year. They've been running them hard for 6 months, watching lots of YouTube and Netflix in addition to the wear and tear of kids owning computers. They've held up well, and we use the google docs all of the time for their school projects.

Samsung 11.6 Inch Chromebook 3, Intel Celeron N3060, 4GB Memory, 16GB eMMC Storage
Old 06-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
We got all three of our kids a Samsung Chromebook for $99 each at a Walmart Black Friday deal last year. They've been running them hard for 6 months, watching lots of YouTube and Netflix in addition to the wear and tear of kids owning computers. They've held up well, and we use the google docs all of the time for their school projects.

Samsung 11.6 Inch Chromebook 3, Intel Celeron N3060, 4GB Memory, 16GB eMMC Storage
Thanks, that looks good.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Thanks, that looks good.
I know that brand is better in the school district but will point out the wisdom of kids. My kids and others can't wait to get home from school and use their school G Suite accounts on other devices because moderately priced Chromebooks have craptacular display quality compared to tablets at same price points.

Your G Suite, free Google, Office 365 and web browsing will work across different hardware platforms. You are stuck with crappy display and more to carry If you do your reading on a moderately priced Chromebook vs the right tablet.

In the enterprise and at home most everything Android or Chromebook I've bought and often have to buy becomes useless toxic waste before the dozens of $300 iPads we have. I'm preparing for my about once a year or 1.5 year electronics recycling I have to do. It's telling as heck to see a lack of anything Apple in the piles of stuff when we buy iPads by the dozens.

We have hundreds of first line workers who have to use web for schedules, payroll and all HR stuff. We have to make that available. They always go to higher quality display when that's an option. For training they can go to rooms with 6 late model but standard resolution Windows computers or use the training iPads. They always choose the iPads because the reading is so much easier.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I know that brand is better in the school district but will point out the wisdom of kids. My kids and others can't wait to get home from school and use their school G Suite accounts on other devices because moderately priced Chromebooks have craptacular display quality compared to tablets at same price points.

Your G Suite, free Google, Office 365 and web browsing will work across different hardware platforms. You are stuck with crappy display and more to carry If you do your reading on a moderately priced Chromebook vs the right tablet.

In the enterprise and at home most everything Android or Chromebook I've bought and often have to buy becomes useless toxic waste before the dozens of $300 iPads we have. I'm preparing for my about once a year or 1.5 year electronics recycling I have to do. It's telling as heck to see a lack of anything Apple in the piles of stuff when we buy iPads by the dozens.

We have hundreds of first line workers who have to use web for schedules, payroll and all HR stuff. We have to make that available. They always go to higher quality display when that's an option. For training they can go to rooms with 6 late model but standard resolution Windows computers or use the training iPads. They always choose the iPads because the reading is so much easier.
This is a really insightful post, and I like the term "craptacular".
Old 06-18-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post

I hadn't really considered a tablet, due to the lack of keyboard, but I just now looked at some, and was surprised at how good their displays are. I guess I need to look into external tablet keyboards.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
I hadn't really considered a tablet, due to the lack of keyboard, but I just now looked at some, and was surprised at how good their displays are. I guess I need to look into external tablet keyboards.
FYI, this might work on a budget. I just recycled an Apple bluetooth keyboard for the basic iPad I use often. I keep it near the kitchen table. I don't take it for air or light weight travel but have for a trip to the cabin.

An associate has a third party keyboard that works as a cover making his sort of in inelegant laptop. He did have a Chromebook but likes his iPad display much more.

I confess the latest generation Air model with Apple's keyboard and pencil are very nice but it is not happening when my next phone call is to a plumber and well driller.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic