The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-17-2019, 10:39 PM

Don’t waste my time with electrics anymore; but when I did, my favorites were hollow body Gibsons that felt more like acoustics, and had the bounce/liveliness and neck similar to acoustics. They also fit better
Old 01-18-2019, 12:16 AM

I had the same problem. Sold my G&L Tele style electric and bought an Epiphone 335 style electric.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

Much harder for an electric player to adjust to the bulk of an acoustic from what I’ve heard on electric forums, but we each have our own experience. I have a strat, a tele, and an Ibanez Scofield model that’s basically their version of an ES-335. I play them differently, supporting my hand on the bridge without my arm draped over anything. I also don’t move my arm nearly as much on the electric, not needing to generate the volume on my own, letting the amp do most of it. Even for real chunky rhythm playing, small quick strokes is all you need - that Pete Townsend windmill stuff was all for show! I almost never play my acoustic plugged in, so if I want volume, it’s up to me to make it...

I’d say just stick with it - you’ll almost certainly adapt and find what works for you. I learned to play both at roughly the same time, so I never got overwhelmingly used to one and not the other. I played a LOT more electric most of my life and may get back to that, but I could always pick up an acoustic and feel right at home on it. Although these days I can’t play a dread - I haven’t owned one in about 15 years and having gotten used to more 00 or 000 sized guitars and smaller, when I pick up a dread now, I feel like a furniture mover or something - can’t get my arm over them comfortably at all anymore. I wouldn’t even try a jumbo now.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

I think I had the advantage of ignorance. Not knowing there was supposed to be a problem, I just put down the dread, picked up the Strat, and went back again as dictated by the situation.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:44 AM

Get an Explorer, seriously. Its one of the most comfortable to play guitars in any position.
You can rest your forearm on the upper kink, so you can easily move your wrist to play.

And about a dozen electrics

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!
Old 01-19-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
With an acoustic guitar (large bout and thicker body) I have a place to rest my arm in that position but with an electric, there isn’t that mass for me to rest on.

Is this a thing that others have struggled with but over time you just get used to it?
There's always a bit of adjusting if I've only been playing electric or acoustic, but it becomes normal again. All my acoustics are Adamas and it was a bit of a challenge at first last month when I played for about an hour at an open mic using someone elses standard dreadnought.

At any rate, is there any reason you might be opposed to going the electric route with something like a Howard Roberts model or something like that, which has a larger, thicker body than a typical solid body electric?
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 01-19-2019, 05:02 AM

I own a Martin Dreadnought, Samick Royale semi, Fender Telecaster and a Fender Stratocaster and all of my playing these days is done sitting down.

I alternate some days between playing them on my right leg or my left leg (classical position) which might be more suitable for you. (Just a suggestion).
Old 01-19-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
...With an acoustic guitar (large bout and thicker body) I have a place to rest my arm in that position but with an electric, there isn’t that mass for me to rest on...
If you're an experienced guitarist, playing shouldn't be causing you undue fatigue/pain or forcing your body into unnatural positions - I've got a near-mint Epiphone Ultra 339 that'll be going in trade in the not-too-distant future for just that reason (in this case neck thickness/contour that causes major left-hand issues if I play for extended periods)...

If you feel you need the extra body width/depth, fine - get rid of the Tele and pick up something better-suited to your physical needs...

Since Frank already suggested the Godin Kingpin/CW II and Korean-made Gretsch Electromatic 5400/5600-Series (thanks, Frank ) I won't elaborate any further, except to say that I own examples of both and IME they're not only right up your alley, but you're not going to find a better combination of tone, playability, and QC in the under-$1K bracket - and again speaking from experience, if they're not available in your area I ordered both of mine sight unseen/unplayed and I wouldn't hesitate to do so again...
Old 01-19-2019, 05:44 PM

Depending on how old you are, give it 10 years, you'll get used to it!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-05-2019, 08:07 AM

Try a Fender (or Squire) Jazzmaster. These guitars were designed to be comfortable sitting down and they really are. A Squire Affinity Jazzmaster is about $200 and they are really nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars