The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-15-2019, 03:24 PM

I posted earlier in the other Schatten thread that on my next days off, if I can get time I will try the passive Schatten HFN with the Anthem preamp. It shouldn't take too long to desolder from the endpin jack to a 2.5mm connector for the Anthem preamp. That should be a good indication if it will work fine with similar onboard preamp products that people might have kicking around. I think it will be fine. Even if it works good I won't be keeping it that way as I'm enjoying the passive benefits at the moment. I do like to experiment with these kind of things though so I know for myself. Petty1818 if I were you and wanted to convert to active by keeping your current pickup I would be trying something like this for a cheap experiment and also convenient if you don't have access to a soldering iron:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SEWS...AbTest=ae803_5
Old 01-15-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I posted earlier in the other Schatten thread that on my next days off, if I can get time I will try the passive Schatten HFN with the Anthem preamp. It shouldn't take too long to desolder from the endpin jack to a 2.5mm connector for the Anthem preamp. That should be a good indication if it will work fine with similar onboard preamp products that people might have kicking around. I think it will be fine. Even if it works good I won't be keeping it that way as I'm enjoying the passive benefits at the moment. I do like to experiment with these kind of things though so I know for myself. Petty1818 if I were you and wanted to convert to active by keeping your current pickup I would be trying something like this for a cheap experiment and also convenient if you don't have access to a soldering iron:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SEWS...AbTest=ae803_5
I will probably stay passive for now and once I get to try the active version in my friend's guitar, I will make a decision on what to do. The HFN is so simple to install that I don't mind doing it again if the active proves to be better as a plug and play. I am interested to see how much more volume the active provides and how good the tone control is as well.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I will probably stay passive for now and once I get to try the active version in my friend's guitar, I will make a decision on what to do. The HFN is so simple to install that I don't mind doing it again if the active proves to be better as a plug and play. I am interested to see how much more volume the active provides and how good the tone control is as well.
Sounds good please keep us posted!
Old 01-16-2019, 12:24 PM

Default A very biased K&K vs Schatten comparison

I made an audio comparison of a K&K pure mini with a Schatten HFN pickup (both passive). This is not meant to prove anything, which is better etc., it was just out of simple curiosity, how these two would sound next to each other.

They are installed in different guitars (Gibson Hummingbird and Gibson J15), both have Martin coated strings but the ones with the HFN are new, hence noticeably brighter.

Both were recorded through exactly the same setup and settings: a Fishman Platinum Stage into an audio interface. The only addition in the post processing is some reverb (the same amount and type), to make pickups sound a bit more like we hear them played through a PA or an amp.

The volume coming out from each one was almost identical, quite impressive for passive pickups.

There are three clips per pickup: flat-picking, some percussive playing and strumming. The first one is K&K followed by Schatten:

Old 01-16-2019, 12:56 PM

Thanks for sharing those audio clips. To me it was a no brainer. The Schatten was clearer, better balanced and more airy than the k&k.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:07 PM

Thanks for taking to time to record those clips. I think both pickups sound pretty great. I'd like a little more low end from the HFN clips but a putty install might get there without having to EQ? At any rate it's a lot easier to turn up the bass than it is to surgically sculpt mids. HFN sounds more mic-like.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:32 PM

The Schatten blows the K&K away in those clips! That's enough to convince me.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-16-2019, 04:35 PM

Who’s got the best price on the passive pickup?

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-16-2019, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the comparison. The second set of samples definitely seems to catch a little more air, but that may be because of the first sample set's stronger bass. In any event, if the HFN rejects feedback as well as the Pure Mini, there isn't much reason to be gluing an SBT to a bridgeplate, unless one needs the ultra feedback rejection of the Ultra Tonic.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Who’s got the best price on the passive pickup?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schatten-HF...A2Pt:rk:7:pf:0

This dealer, Blue Star Music, is pretty good on pricing. Its certainly cheaper than the Schatten website. Apparently Schatten doesn't want to be too competitive with their dealers.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schatten-HF...A2Pt:rk:7:pf:0

This dealer, Blue Star Music, is pretty good on pricing. Its certainly cheaper than the Schatten website. Apparently Schatten doesn't want to be too competitive with their dealers.
Yep, that's what they told me. I always find a dealer. The dealers all seem to be comparable in pricing so I feel any would be a good fit.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:05 PM

Just a note wherever you buy it from make sure it's the newer version with the ABS base and not the old rosewood base.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Just a note wherever you buy it from make sure it's the newer version with the ABS base and not the old rosewood base.
Good point. Just to add though, I ordered mine back in September and I received the new ABS model. I think they have been using that for a little longer than we might think, they just didn't advertise it much. Still, Schatten isn't hugely popular so I could see dealers having older stock. It would be interesting to compare the two though. I mean all of the reviews come from the older Rosewood model so it must have sounded just as good. I sometimes wonder if this change was just more of a need for a more affordable/consistent product.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:54 PM

Oh and I just listened to the sound demo using my Sennheiser headphones. The K&K does sound nice but the HFN has more clarity, is more mic like and just sounds better.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Oh and I just listened to the sound demo using my Sennheiser headphones. The K&K does sound nice but the HFN has more clarity, is more mic like and just sounds better.
Yeah I think everyone will agree on that. I have nothing but respect for the k&k but it's pretty old now and the design never changed. Other makers of SBT's have based their designs on the k&k and made some tweaks to it to make it better. For lovers of SBT's there's just so many better options out there right now but the Schatten tops the list for me with the easy install/removal, superb clarity and mic like characteristics. I never even realized they existed until a couple months ago and I'm sure glad I bought one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification