The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-04-2019, 01:16 PM

I agree with those who suggest a full hollow body electric. Lots of great, affordable options: Gretsch, Epiphone, Godin, Ibanez, etc.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:52 AM

Yes, I was interested in an Epiphone 335 style recently, but when I saw one in real life, it seemed huge. Great for when standing up, but probably not so much for sitting/reclining usage. I'd be tempted by an Epi SG, maybe with P90s, the great and much lamented John Martyn did ok with his for a long time.
Ten years this month since John departed for the Great Gig in the Sky. He lived just a few miles up the road from where I am, and used to do a summertime outdoor gig in the garden at the back of pub in Kilkenny, magical stuff.
(Can one hijack one's own thread?).
Old 01-05-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin View Post
Yes, I was interested in an Epiphone 335 style recently, but when I saw one in real life, it seemed huge. Great for when standing up, but probably not so much for sitting/reclining usage. I'd be tempted by an Epi SG, maybe with P90s, the great and much lamented John Martyn did ok with his for a long time.
Ten years this month since John departed for the Great Gig in the Sky. He lived just a few miles up the road from where I am, and used to do a summertime outdoor gig in the garden at the back of pub in Kilkenny, magical stuff.
(Can one hijack one's own thread?).
John Martyn was one player I thought of myself when I talked about how playing "electric" or playing "acoustic" while playing the other type of guitar in actuality a state of mind.

In regards to smaller body that retains some acoustic resonance, and P90 sound, I have an Epi 339 Pro P90 version. Not as much body resonance as even a 335 style, but the P90s in them sound great. One caveat, they are not hum-cancelling in the middle position. I'd be a bit afraid of gigging with mine without a backup myself, but maybe things are better now than they were in the 80s in that regard.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-07-2019, 08:07 PM

I'm working on this one at present:

I've also had a 2" by 14" by 30" piece of mahogany I've been carrying around for 30 years and one of my buddies gave me a brand new Seymour Duncan '59 and I just couldn't see not using it.

I gave up playing electric a few years ago and gave away my two custom Teles but I see this as an opportunity to go in a whole other direction. I have the mahogany portion of the body done and I'm ready to start on the spruce top plate.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
John Martyn was one player I thought of myself when I talked about how playing "electric" or playing "acoustic" while playing the other type of guitar in actuality a state of mind.

In regards to smaller body that retains some acoustic resonance, and P90 sound, I have an Epi 339 Pro P90 version. Not as much body resonance as even a 335 style, but the P90s in them sound great. One caveat, they are not hum-cancelling in the middle position. I'd be a bit afraid of gigging with mine without a backup myself, but maybe things are better now than they were in the 80s in that regard.
Is one of the pickups wired incorrectly? They should hum-cancel in the middle position.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Is one of the pickups wired incorrectly? They should hum-cancel in the middle position.
Hum-cancelling with two single coils is a two-factor thing (RWRP). The first Reverse Wound (typically accomplished via wiring vice-versa) and the second Reverse Polarity (magnetic polarity) which is not a switch-the-leads thing, but has to do with the North and South pole polarity of the magnets.

I'm not sure why Epiphone chose not to have RWRP on the 339 Pro P90 model. Many older multiple-pickup single-coil guitars were not RWRP, and there are some who feel that non-RWRP sounds better somehow despite the noise issue.

If one wanted to make the set RWRP it can be done by combining the rewiring of the leads with disassembly of one of the pickups and flipping the magnets polarity.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-08-2019, 02:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I'm more of an acoustic singer/songwriter person, (for my sins), I also have a strat and another single coil type. My electric playing seems to just be noodling, fun enough I suppose, but I wonder if there is an electric that feel good with open chords or is generally more acousticy? Epi sg with humbuckers maybe? Epi dot maybe? Magnetic p/u for an acoustic? Funds are, of course, very limited. 🎶🎸😎.
Hi Ciaran,
For me, making my electrics 'feel like my acoustics' was predicated on very basic stuff: A large V neck, large fret wire, a wide nut, and preferably, a slightly wider than normal string spacing at the bridge....and, oh yeah: Heavy strings.

I got most of those things with my Warmoth body & neck build.

It's not easy finding a tailpiece for a Strat or a Tele that is more than 2.125. I did find a Schaller Hard Tail that goes 2.250 and put it on a Strat build.

In any case that is my 'take' on what's required to make my electric guitars feel comfortable in my hands.

I could never get used to that thin-string thing.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 01-08-2019, 03:04 PM

Telecasters with a slightly wider neck and 11s or 12s work great for an acoustic feel.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:20 PM

Funny thing, I just about always play my acoustics with a capo on the second fret, often partial capo with the bottom E free. I'm enjoying playing the Strat with a capo, don't tell anyone. (I've seen Ry Cooder do that in occasion.)
Old 01-10-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Funny thing, I just about always play my acoustics with a capo on the second fret, often partial capo with the bottom E free. I'm enjoying playing the Strat with a capo, don't tell anyone. (I've seen Ry Cooder do that in occasion.)
I capoed my two Telecasters often.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:36 PM

to answer the OP's question but going in a different direction look at a Guild S4CE, I've got one and can tell you that it's a meant to be a plugged in electric guitar. These are very resonant and the plugged in sound is greatly improved with an added sound board transducer like PUTW behind the bridge. Mine is a last year of Westerly RI production.

the neck is long with a strat/tele length scale
the body is a hollowed out solid glued up chunk of mahogany
top is a high grade spruce

I think these are sleepers,

I am going to post this Craigslist ad just cause is has good pictures of one - not connected to or endorsing this sale.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg...790557870.html

the seller is tooting - no it's not rare and if you are patient you can acquire one at lower cost

Last edited by Dadzmad; 01-10-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-10-2019, 08:57 PM

Electric that feels like an acoustic?
When I brought my Gretsch Country Gentleman home, my son tried and said, "Oh, that's just what you wanted, an electric that feels like an acoustic."
So, that was my son's opinion. It doesn't strum that well, but I have always enjoyed playing it. I would certainly take a few minutes and try a Gretsch. I like their professional series guitars. Before I got the Gentleman I had an Anniversary. Also a viable option.
The Godin suggestions are good as well and at a better price point.
My problem with many electrics, including a Gibson ES-330, is I'll grab that D chord and take the G-string sharp. Not a problem with the Gretsch.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars