The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Are nuts on commercial guitars glued (well)?

What are the chances that the nut is glued in on my Guild 12 string and how well is it probably glued? I want to swap the nut to try Doyle Dykes' 12 string nut layout, but I want to make sure I don't screw something up in the course of removing the original nut if it's stuck in there really good.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:51 PM

It will likely be glued.

Typically I find manufacturers just use two drops on the shelf, so a couple of side taps on the edge of the nut will release it.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-06-2019, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Just be careful there isn’t any finish holding the nut in place as well - carefully score all around it with a sharp blade, like a utility or exacto knife, then carefully tap it -
Old 01-12-2019, 02:41 PM

When you're tapping it loose, it's a good idea to set something like a small block of wood or mdf against the nut and tap on THAT, rather than hitting the nut directly.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:38 PM

It should be real easy. For extra measure I always tape all around the nut with painters tape first (including the fret board side), then gently and carefully go around the edges with an exacto knife or similar. Using a small block of wood very gently tap the nut and it should come loose right away. If, by chance that doesn't move it you can also gently tap the side of the nut with a screwdriver as well. Like someone else said most manufacturers only put a couple of dabs of glue on there as that's all that's needed. There's lots of videos on youtube you can use as well to aid you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair