The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-07-2020, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Move file from DAW to Zoom and record on Zoom?

Just making sure I have not missed something obvious.

It’s easy to record on the Zoom (h4N ex) and move the tracks to the computer for mixing.

Equally easy to use the Zoom as the interface to the computer and record directly to the DAW.

What I wanted to do was move the a scratch track from the DAW to the Zoom and use the Zoom in a quiet spot to record other tracks without having to move the computer. Having a) tried it, b) read the manual, and c) looked on line, it appears that is not something that one can do with the Zoom.

Just wanted to make sure I have not missed something obvious here. Thanks.

And while I am at it, thanks again to those who have responded to my previous questions. With your assistance I am now working reasonably effectively with the following set up:

Oktava MK-012 condenser mics or Shure dynamic mics
PreSonus AudioBox iTwo
USB to macbook pro
PreSonus StudioOne 4
Old 04-07-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjk View Post
Just making sure I have not missed something obvious.

It’s easy to record on the Zoom (h4N ex) and move the tracks to the computer for mixing.

Equally easy to use the Zoom as the interface to the computer and record directly to the DAW.

What I wanted to do was move the a scratch track from the DAW to the Zoom and use the Zoom in a quiet spot to record other tracks without having to move the computer. Having a) tried it, b) read the manual, and c) looked on line, it appears that is not something that one can do with the Zoom.

Just wanted to make sure I have not missed something obvious here. Thanks.

And while I am at it, thanks again to those who have responded to my previous questions. With your assistance I am now working reasonably effectively with the following set up:

Oktava MK-012 condenser mics or Shure dynamic mics
PreSonus AudioBox iTwo
USB to macbook pro
PreSonus StudioOne 4
You can do that with the Zoom R series recorders and I would be reasonably sure you could do it with the H series, too.

First, if you anticipate doing further recording later you should copy and paste your files from the H to your computer, leaving the original tracks in place so you don't have this problem in the future.

Second, your tracks folder would have to be un-altered so you can put the tracks back where they originated from.

Third, if you're attempting to use a scratch track that you recorded using your DAW then the file format (frequency / bit rate / extension) must match what the format is set for in the folder where you are attempting to move the track to. This is an easy one to overlook.

Your tracks are not located in your "DAW", but in a folder of your choosing on your computer. The DAW is the program that works on your files, not where the files reside.

Files that you want to transfer back to the portable recorder should not be altered in length, otherwise they won't align in the portable recorder. The portable recorder has a separate file that takes care of "housekeeping" functions and if you edit tracks somewhere else the portable recorder won't know what to do with the tracks.
Bottom line of all this is to plan out your tracking so everything is in place when you need to move tracks around.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Well of course it's possible - but only Karaoke mode

Just in case somebody else might want to do this:

This is a bit of a kludge, but it seems to work.

What you need to do is

1 set up a karaoke project

> open a new MTR project
> press track 1
> turn it into a Karaoke track (will make it track 1 AND track 2)

2 link the Zoom to your computer via USB/storage mode for file transfer

3 move the STEREO wav file to the project file. Leave USB Mode

4 click on Karaoke track and select the STEREO wav file for that paired track

5 record to track 3 while playing back and listening through headphones

This is all in the manual but it took me a while to decipher even after I discovered the Karaoke Mode requirement:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/14...o.html?page=87

I tried but could not get it to work in MTR mode by just selecting a source file into track 1 of the project, so either there is some magic in the Karaoke setup, or you need to have a stereo file on tracks 1 and 2 in the MTR project.

I also could not get it to recognize a .mp3 file but suspect that is operator error as Karaoke mode is there to let you download a song and play along.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD