The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-06-2020, 06:27 PM

Default New Mandolin Day

1 Eastman MD304.jpg

So, after much thought and research, I bought an Eastman MD304..

I got this one from The Mandolin Store, and after explaining my complete lack of knowledge and skill about mandolins, I believe Dennis Vance set this one up to make it as easy for me (as a novice) to play as possible...

I know the value of a good setup on my guitars, and can tell a world of difference between the playability of this mandolin and the ones I've picked up and tried in stores along the way...

I also can't say enough good things about the service and help I received from TMS...

Watching my beginner lessons online, and looking forward to learning a new instrument...

* Sorry about the rotated pic, I've never had that happen before. Tried adjusting the original, but same-o here...oh well, it's a pretty little thing...

Last edited by Denny B; 04-13-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:03 AM

Congratulations! I've done business with TMS before (NFI) and have had nothing but wonderful experiences. Can't say enough good things about such a classy operation. Hope to go there in person someday!
Old 04-07-2020, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

It seems that when it comes to budget mandolins, Eastman have cornered the market and with good reason!

Like heir guitars they just get better.

Watch Mandolin Orange ! Andrew Marlin is playing high dollar Gibsons now but made a lot of fine music on his Eastman!
Old 04-08-2020, 11:26 PM

Congratulations. And I agree that Dennis at TMS is top notch. Very responsive. Honest. And loves mandolins. Have fun with your new addiction.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
Congratulations! I've done business with TMS before (NFI) and have had nothing but wonderful experiences. Can't say enough good things about such a classy operation. Hope to go there in person someday!
They just moved to Tennesee...not far from Nashville.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:49 AM

The Eastmans are nice, looks like you got a keeper. Did you get it from the new store, or before the move? They (Mandolin Store) will be sorely missed in Arizona. They will do well in the Nashville area, but I could drop in from time to time in the Phoenix area.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

It's a beauty, thanks for sharing the picture with us. TMS is a great source and good people. I bought both of my mandolins from Dennis and have nothing but appreciation for what he and his staff are doing. I may make a pilgrimage to see them in person now that they've relocated a bit closer to my part of the world.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:42 AM

Congrats! Absolutely love the look of your new Eastman. What on-line lesson are you taking?

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 04-09-2020, 01:59 PM

Thanks for all the positive comments folks, I appreciate it...

To answer a few questions, I ordered this one the first day TMS was open in their new location...a little story there...I called a couple of days later to ask for a tracking # and found that my order somehow hadn't been shipped...Dennis apologized a number of times, sent it out that afternoon, overnighted at his expense, and threw me in a T shirt...I can't remember when I've talked with someone who seemed so sincerely interested in making a customer happy.

As for lessons, I've been using MandoLessons online...all free (donations accepted) no advertisements interrupting you, and it seems to take you from beginner to advanced stuff as you're ready...a fellow named Baron Collins-Hill runs it, and it seems to be the mandolin equivalent of the Justinguitar site...I'm enjoying it right now...I'm also hanging out at the mandolincafe site for tips and encouragement.

I think I found a nice, quality mandolin at a very reasonable price...the setup helps immensely, but I'm glad I have some time in playing guitar because the mando strings are tough on the fingertips on a whole 'nother level...
Old 04-10-2020, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Thanks for all the positive comments folks, I appreciate it...

To answer a few questions, I ordered this one the first day TMS was open in their new location...a little story there...I called a couple of days later to ask for a tracking # and found that my order somehow hadn't been shipped...Dennis apologized a number of times, sent it out that afternoon, overnighted at his expense, and threw me in a T shirt...I can't remember when I've talked with someone who seemed so sincerely interested in making a customer happy.

As for lessons, I've been using MandoLessons online...all free (donations accepted) no advertisements interrupting you, and it seems to take you from beginner to advanced stuff as you're ready...a fellow named Baron Collins-Hill runs it, and it seems to be the mandolin equivalent of the Justinguitar site...I'm enjoying it right now...I'm also hanging out at the mandolincafe site for tips and encouragement.

I think I found a nice, quality mandolin at a very reasonable price...the setup helps immensely, but I'm glad I have some time in playing guitar because the mando strings are tough on the fingertips on a whole 'nother level...
I'm about 6 months ahead of you on my mandolin journey as I got an Eastman MD-505 from Dennis, found Baron's lessons online as well. You're doing all the right things, have fun!

Rob

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-21-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:43 AM
Charter Member

I have that same mandolin, bought from the same place. excellent setup. i was also new at it, and still am a hack. i love this Eastman and i do gig with it...

congrats!
Old 04-10-2020, 06:16 AM

Very cool.

My younger brother is a huge bluegrass fan and has expressed interest in the past in learning to play mandolin, so I've been sending links to him over time for various mandolin entry points, one of which is The Mandolin Store.

I keep hoping he takes the bait one day.
Fender Baja Telecaster
Old 04-21-2020, 10:58 AM

Cant say enough good things about
Dennis and TMS.Years ago when
i was shopping for a high end mandolin
He was so helpful in answering questio s. Real quick getting back to me..
He had several Gibson ferns i was looking at.. We just never made a deal
I ended up with an Ellis A5. Direct from
Tom Ellis.. Great builder in the austin
area.. Very happy with it.
Enjoy your eastman..Now that they are
in tn i may have to stop in and visit..
Old 04-22-2020, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

I bought my first mandolin from TMS, and had the pleasure of visiting the store. I had told them before that I was just wanting to play my way up the food chain to see how much I would need to save for my next upgrade. That was fine with them. Said I was already a customer.

One thing I'll mention, you need to play more on your fingertips than with guitar. Your guitar callouses will only cover one mandolin string if you are playing correctly. No pain, no gain.

Mandolessons,com is a great start.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-23-2020, 04:10 AM

Congratulations on your cool new Eastman mandolin; I’ve played several examples of that exact same model in music stores and always liked them. As it happens, my favorite archtop mandolins are those oval hole models. Mandolins with f holes project better in group settings, especially in bluegrass bands, but I prefer the sweeter bass and midrange response and greater sustain that the oval soundhole provides.

One thing that I tell my own beginning mandolin students is that getting the action as low as you can is a good idea when you’re just starting out, but once you get better and start to play with other people you’re going to want to raise the action slightly at the bridge. Basically, you need a little bit of string resistance to be able to get a clear tone. Particularly when you’re trying to be heard in a group setting.

There won’t be any need to raise the string height at the nut: that’s one area that almost always needs to be corrected in new mandolins, especially inexpensive ones. But if done correctly the first time it won’t need to be repeated.

One thing you can expect with a solid wood mandolin, though, especially one with an arched top, is that the action height and the intonation can and often will change with the seasons. Once you really start playing on a serious level you’ll be able to spot the need for this when it becomes necessary.

Since 2003 I’ve been using wood-bodied National resonator mandolins as my primary performance mandolins - I consulted with National as they developed what’s now called the National RM-1.

Resonator mandolins are a whole other ball game, and there’s no need for me to go into their differences here. But for the many years when I was using archtop mandolins as my performance instruments, I would typically get the action set and intonation corrected twice a year: when the snow was on the ground to stay, and when it was gone to stay.

If you live someplace where there’s more even, consistent year-round climate, you might find that to be unnecessary. But be aware going in that:

1.) As you progress as a player you might find it beneficial to raise the action a bit at the bridge;

and

2.) the action and intonation can change on you unexpectedly, and both might periodically need to be dialed back in.

Hope that makes sense. Enjoy your cool new mandolin.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments