The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-05-2020, 02:04 AM
Charter Member

Default redeye to lr baggs equalizer

wondered if i'm defeating the pure signal of the redeye if i'm running my pedal board from redeye>bodyrez>tuner>lr baggs equalizer. i realize just experiment and listen, but was wondering if anyone is doing anything similar and if it makes sense.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:00 AM

Default redeye to lr baggs equalizer

I don’t know what tuner you are using but I would put that first in the chain. Most of them are true bypass which means when you’re not tuning the signal is totally unaffected. Plus it’s a good way to mute the signal if changing guitars or unplugging between sets to save battery etc.

You could also experiment by putting the Body Rez before the Red-Eye. Think of the Body Rez as part of the guitar’s unique sound then it makes sense that the preamp (to build up the signal) and the eq (to process the signal further) comes after.

The purpose of the two models of Red-Eye I’ve looked at to answer your question is to balance the signal (DI) for connection to a mixer or mic input. In which case you could experiment with putting the Red-Eye last in the chain and in this case I would suggest tuner > BodyRez > Baggs eq > Red-Eye - or even have the Body Rez in the Red-Eye’s fx loop (this is what I do with my Tonebone Pz-Pre).
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

Last edited by pieterh; 04-05-2020 at 03:07 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

i use the polytune and it mutes the way i have it set up now. even when its third in the chain.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:55 AM

I have a Redeye, and I had an Align EQ. I had the EQ after my tuner, then into effects, then into the Redeye loop. I noticed a big difference (for the better) in tone when I removed the EQ completely. It seemed to rob tone. I just use the EQ on my amp now. Other people may find it differently.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:45 AM

Darin(designer/owner) at FireEye recommends running the RedEye first in the line to balance the signal then run tuners, eq's, etc., through the loop. If you use the effects loop route you can still get muting when you hit the tuner. This is beneficial because the tuner will mute both signals if you are running to an amp and the mixing board.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Hi all

The point of RedEye gear is you are not supposed to need an EQ (it's built with average preset EQ).

If you buy a simpler and more-capable/adjustable preamp to begin with (like a Grace Alix) you'll get better outcome without stacking three pieces of gear in the chain…all trying to do the same job.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-06-2020, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

That's true Larry and my chain was: redeye.bodyrez.polytuner. Have plenty of time on my hands so i'm just trying other stuff. my original setup works fine but was wondering.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi all

The point of RedEye gear is you are not supposed to need an EQ (it's built with average preset EQ).

If you buy a simpler and more-capable/adjustable preamp to begin with (like a Grace Alix) you'll get better outcome without stacking three pieces of gear in the chain…all trying to do the same job.

Hey Larry. Thanks for the information. It's just that for me, when I put the RedEye in between my guitar and Ultrasound amp, the sound doesn't appeal to me like it does when I put the Para DI between the guitar and amp. Still, I wasn't aware the RedEye had built in preset EQ.

I know in past posts you revealed you use Ultrasound amps. When you use the RedEye, how do you have the bass/treble/notch/shape controls set?
Old 04-07-2020, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mking View Post
Hey Larry. Thanks for the information. It's just that for me, when I put the RedEye in between my guitar and Ultrasound amp, the sound doesn't appeal to me like it does when I put the Para DI between the guitar and amp. Still, I wasn't aware the RedEye had built in preset EQ.

I know in past posts you revealed you use Ultrasound amps. When you use the RedEye, how do you have the bass/treble/notch/shape controls set?
Hi Mk

I don't own a RedEye and have only messed around with other's units. It's basically set out of the box to cut the mud on the bottom, pull down the mids and boost the treble.

The reason I don't own one is because I want more control than baked-in EQ provides.

My first point of concern is the tone for the PA not my stage monitor/amp/in-ears…so the preamps I've used all provide three tone ranges (BASS-mid-TREBLE), and then I ask the house tech on the board to experiment with where the low-cut should be (40Hz, 80Hz or 160Hz). I'm running guitar-->preamp-->split to PA/stage-amp. I set the preamp's tone controls for the house, which is mirrored to my amp, where I tweak it with the amp's tone controls as well. That way I don't affect the tone on the house beyond the preamp. I have to trust the house-tech to set it right in the room.

I don't have low-cut on my amps, so I pull the bass back a touch more on the amp, but it's isolated from the house and doesn't affect the house mix in any way.

Now that I've moved my acoustic rig to the ToneDexter, adjusting tone is a different process. It involves combining the two way tone on board, and the Character control, and which mic sampled the waveform I'm using. I set it by ear at each gig.

Once I get it set for a particular room, it doesn't change the next time I play there, so I make a note my settings in my phone.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-07-2020, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
i use the polytune and it mutes the way i have it set up now. even when its third in the chain.
Simply "muting" is not the reason for considering the order (position) in the signal path. Where as it being "true" bypass or "buffered" bypass might be.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-07-2020, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

think i'll just leave as is. seems to work fine.redeye>bodyrez>tuner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification