The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Except it's not that simple to keep 7.5B people pinned down for a month or two.

Seems rather unreasonable to me to expect nobody to go get supplies or seek medical attention - which is moving - which risks exposure.
Every stay at home order I've seen has exceptions for food, medical care, and other necessities. The problem, and the reason this pandemic is as bad as it is and is going to get far worse, is that so many people think that in addition to actual physical necessities, they should be able to go out and do anything they want, whenever they want, wherever they want, just because they feel like it.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:42 AM

There have been quite a few who commented that the death rate in reality is likely to be lower as there is a lot of under reporting due to lack of testing. However no matter whatever the mortality rate really is, the absolute number of serious cases necessitating icu treatment to arrest decline into death and the actual numbers of those killed are the problems.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:45 AM

Old 04-03-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
There have been quite a few who commented that the death rate in reality is likely to be lower as there is a lot of under reporting due to lack of testing. However no matter whatever the mortality rate really is, the absolute number of serious cases necessitating icu treatment to arrest decline into death and the actual numbers of those killed are the problems.
Indeed, my thoughts exactly. No one on the front lines is treating statistics.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
..Seems rather unreasonable to me to expect nobody to go get supplies or seek medical attention - which is moving - which risks exposure.
First, you only have to worry about your contribution. Every individual first needs to worry about themselves and those around them. Not 7.5 billion people. It has been obvious for over a month that every country, state (California, Washington) that moves quickly to slow people movement has been successful in flattening their curve. As a nation we need to be on one national page. That obviously hasn't happened as many states still have no state-wide orders in place and the problems continue to spread and increase in numbers. Additionally, everyone has been allowed to get the necessities such as groceries, medicine and required items. When one MUST be out one needs to use PPE, maintain distance from others, avoid any personal contact and clean up when returning home. You, me and everyone else can only seek to control what we can control. If everyone adheres to the suggested - only go out when necessary - far fewer people are out and distancing is much easier to maintain.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Indeed, my thoughts exactly. No one on the front lines is treating statistics.
Exactly.

My wife is a doctor. Her hospital hasn’t been hit hard yet. But even best case scenarios are ugly. It’s coming. You don’t have to be a statistical genius to understand the general trend.

I’m heartbroken for people suffering. I’m heartbroken and completely outraged that our healthcare workers are being thrown into this without the tools they need.

New York is totally overwhelmed. But it’s not just New York. Plenty of places are still near the bottom of the front end of the curve. Some of those places are going to be worse because their mayors and governors refused to take earlier warnings seriously. The failure of leadership at every level to prepare for this is unforgivable - private and public.

America can’t even manufacture and distribute its own basic PPE right now. That is a failure of the most tragic proportion.

Stay home. Stay safe. Don’t inflict this pain on others by carelessly spreading it around. “Don’t tread on me.” is a 100% absolute fail of a slogan right now.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
Exactly.

My wife is a doctor. Her hospital hasn’t been hit hard yet. But even best case scenarios are ugly. It’s coming. You don’t have to be a statistical genius to understand the general trend.

I’m heartbroken for people suffering. I’m heartbroken and completely outraged that our healthcare workers are being thrown into this without the tools they need.

New York is totally overwhelmed. But it’s not just New York. Plenty of places are still near the bottom of the front end of the curve. Some of those places are going to be worse because their mayors and governors refused to take earlier warnings seriously. The failure of leadership at every level to prepare for this is unforgivable - private and public.

America can’t even manufacture and distribute its own basic PPE right now. That is a failure of the most tragic proportion.

Stay home. Stay safe. Don’t inflict this pain on others by carelessly spreading it around. “Don’t tread on me.” is a 100% absolute fail of a slogan right now.
And I love the change made to the website in the dark of (last) night. Top half of image before change shown in bottom half of image. Really???

Old 04-03-2020, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
And I love the change made to the website in the dark of (last) night. Top half of image before change shown in bottom half of image. Really???

I don’t like using forums or social networking as credible information. So I started checking. Most of the big news outlets are running this story.

If true, it’s criminal. Rather than trying to save lives, someone is trying to deflect blame. Pass the buck...

Here is the website: https://www.phe.gov/about/sns/Pages/default.aspx
Old 04-03-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don’t like using forums or social networking as credible information. So I started checking. Most of the big news outlets are running this story.

If true, it’s criminal. Rather than trying to save lives, someone is trying to deflect blame. Pass the buck...

Here is the website: https://www.phe.gov/about/sns/Pages/default.aspx
Well, just use a web page archive tool and you’ll see it’s true. Check out your linked page on March 30 here —

https://web.archive.org/web/20200330...s/default.aspx

Here is a link to the tool I used — for those interested in searching on their own without clicking link below, search for the

Internet Archive Wayback Machine and you will verify the “before/after” image of the Strategic National Stockpile Site that is shown in the screenshot above.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/https:...s/default.aspx

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 04-03-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Well, just use a web page archive tool and you’ll see it’s true. Check out your linked page on March 30 here —

https://web.archive.org/web/20200330...s/default.aspx

Here is a link to the tool I used
https://web.archive.org/web/*/https:...s/default.aspx
Thanks. It happened. Whoever would do that has no shame, no integrity. This is a crisis, and someone is busy playing garbage public relations games.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Wouldn't that mean the rate of death percentage is astronomically lower than we think ?
No. The key word is MODEL. It's not a tally of actual events.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks. It happened. Whoever would do that has no shame, no integrity. This is a crisis, and someone is busy playing garbage public relations games.
Seems like it’s all about the optics. Sure damages public trust and confidence.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-03-2020, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Just a friendly reminder to all that I would caution clicking on any links that anyone posts here. I'm not saying that anybody has any malicious intent but in these days of a rapidly changing situation where people are consuming info from many different sources it is best to be cautious.

Rob
Old 04-03-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post
Just a friendly reminder to all that I would caution clicking on any links that anyone posts here. I'm not saying that anybody has any malicious intent but in these days of a rapidly changing situation where people are consuming info from many different sources it is best to be cautious.

Rob
Here here. I don't click on anyone's links. If you want to post information, post the information. If you want to post information and cite where you got it, people can go there if they like. I don't question the veracity of anyone here but I don't go to unknown sites (even if you have a guitar for sale and say - go here for pictures) for obvious computer-virus protection.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
....America can’t even manufacture and distribute its own basic PPE right now. That is a failure of the most tragic proportion.
We actually can. All that has to happen is for the implementation of - the Defense Production Act of 1950. Then order every manufacturer that has the capability to produce ventilators, masks, gowns, gloves, face shields........... to immediately cease all other production and deliver no product to anyone, anywhere until the order is lifted. That hasn't happened. We've done that during all wars without the Act and it is easier since 1950. During Viet Nam - Singer, Colt, Simmonds Prec Products, PARSONS PRECISION PRODUCTS, and others produced magazines for M-16 rifles.

Additionally, any manufacturer (think items for military - handcuffs, helmets...) who has a U.S. government contract to provide specific items must provide that order, complete, prior to delivering anything to the general market/economy. For example, when the government orders 350,000 sets of handcuffs from Peerless Handcuff Co., Peerless can not ship to anyone until that order for 350,000 is fulfilled. We have the capability and technology that has not been pressed into service. That is just one of many unacceptable situations Americans are having to endure right now.

Last edited by Acousticado; 04-03-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic