The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-29-2020, 11:56 AM

Default Attempting to learn bluegrass/scales

Embarrassing as it is, I'm 29 years old, been playing since I was 12 but only ever had a few month stint in lessons, that was my only time learning scales. As a teenager all i mostly played was aggressive punk rock and hardcore, mostly just writing my own stuff throughout the years.
Started playing primarily acoustic around the time I became an adult, and have always just enjoyed chording my own songs, learning some other peoples songs, and in recent years finger picking, but again just my own stuff.
I know zero theory, and I know zero scales, and I can't read music but I can read tabs.

I have a book of scales, beginner type scales but it's fairly extensive I think. For the first time I've started learning, if nothing else it might be a help to my overall ability and knowledge.

I always thought bluegrass was annoying but in recent years I've grown to respect it. More recently I've watched videos of Billy Strings, Molly Tuttle etc and it has sort of sparked an interest in maybe learning some of this style of music, I'm getting tired of my limited ability and same simple songs I play.

I know it's not 'too late' to learn, but at the same time, I never disciplined myself to learn scales, theory, or anything so I feel a little discouraged as to how difficult this might be.

Nevertheless, I might give it a try. Besides learning basic scales well, where should a person start if they wanted to venture into the world of flat picking?
Old 03-29-2020, 12:05 PM

IMO, you should immerse yourself in the music you are interested in playing. Engage in deep listening of bluegrass music, from the standpoints of both appreciation and learning.

Don't take this the wrong way, but to me it sounds like this is a begrudging enterprise for you. You used to find bluegrass "annoying." Now, listening to Billy Strings, et al., has "sort of" sparked an interest in "maybe" learning the style. My opinion: play what you love.

That being said, if you do want to forge ahead, I would suggest extensive and deep listening, as well as finding fiddle tunes you like on Youtube, slowing them down, and replicating the notes. If you learn the melodies, the scales (which in bluegrass music, are basically simple major and minor scales) will sort of fall into place.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.loseth View Post
Embarrassing as it is, I'm 29 years old...
I know it's not 'too late' to learn...
Agreed, my friend. I celebrate my 64th next month. And I picked up a guitar for the first time one year ago.
I think time, time, time is on your side. Yes it is.
David
Old 03-29-2020, 12:16 PM

Yea man! I grew up playing rock and punk. It wasn't until I got a little older that I realized I really do like country. I picked up a tele and haven't looked back once. It's been a really fun ride! If bluegrass speaks to you, go for it!

There are a number of online courses that teach that stuff. My suggestion is to learn the scales over time, and at the same time, learn some of the songs that inspire you. Eventually you'll start to connect the dots and you will understand how that scale was used in that song. If you just focus on theory and scales, it's boring.

I'm not a bluegrass guy. Maybe some of the fine folks here can point you to some good online courses? That's where I'd start.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:21 PM

I’d learn scales and arpeggios. See/hear how the latter fits into the former. Improvising off arpeggios is an eye opener, for me. Sounds more musical to my ears. But bear this in mind: I’m usually full of it ;o)

Last edited by TomB'sox; 03-29-2020 at 02:34 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 03-29-2020, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

...there are a plethora of flatpicking vids available for free on YouTube...it’s a good place to start...but bear in mind....it’s a discipline that will require many hours to become even moderately proficient at....start with some simple fiddle tunes and work your way up...and get as many tips as you can regarding technique...it’s one genre where technique is really important...the scales are actually the easy part...
Old 03-29-2020, 12:23 PM

Countryguitaronline.com
musicwithryan.com
lessonswithmarcel.com

all have youtube content so you can see who fits best for your needs. I think the Marcel guy gives skype lessons as well.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:30 PM

I'm in a similar boat: I've been playing for 44 years and had about six lessons. When I learned how to play "Feelings", "Signed, Sealed and Delivered" (Frampton's version) and "Zipadeedoodah" (yeah, no chit....) I knew it wasn't for me. Plus, I've never been a good student. Ever. And I've always hated structured practice. As ADHD/mild OCD, it was just never in the cards for me.

BUT......I have a good ear. I learned scales by ear, and I've grown relatively proficient at guitar (after 44 years, one would hope!). However, to me, my Achilles Heel has always been an inability to smoothly transition between and within scales to put together a really smooth-sounding riff (Warren Haynes is a really good soloist who comes to mind when I think and talk about this specific shortcoming of mine) and I've always thought that lacking the theory behind scales was a large reason I never got good at leads. That, and an utter lack of a serious study/practice ethic. I get bored too easily, and play when I want to play. Oh, I can wing it and most non-guitarists who have heard me play seem to like saying "gosh, you're really good!" when in my mind, I know I'm not "really good". I'm just "decent" or "okay". Larry McCary was kind of enough to compliment me once in the early 90s at a friend;s house in downtown Saginaw when he was holding an informal jam session for anyone with an instrument or pair of spoons to bang together. Larry's career was just shy of starting, but he was a known local quantity (and a helluva nice guy). He didn't tell me I was great per se, but he at least noticed that in comparison to most of the other jamokes there who were all high and mighty on their skills ("hell yeah I can play!") I had a bit more to offer.

In any event, stick with it! Suck it ALL up! My nephew recently turned me on to Billy Strings, and I think he's an exceptional talent. I can watch his Youtube stuff for hours (and have!).

And if you want to get your wrists, hands and fingers really tired really fast? Find some @$$-kicking, 3-chord bluegrass songs played at breakneck speed and try keeping up with it. Your respect for not only the music genre itself but also the skill level required to play much of it proficiently will grow by leaps and bounds, trust me.

It's great stuff to practice to..............or so I'm told.
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 03-29-2020, 12:32 PM

Flat Picking Essentials Volumes 1-8. You can buy them individually, or all together on a thumb drive.

https://www.flatpick.com/category_s/2245.htm

Last edited by loco gringo; 03-29-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:33 PM

Hey, D.Loseth--Very good question. I've heard similar variations from several of my students. There really is no such thing as a "Bluegrass" scale, I don't think. My opinion, for what it's worth, is to start by learning 6th and 5th string root major scales. Then work on the 5 positions of the minor pentatonic scale. This should give you a lot to chew on. I teach the natural minor scales, too, because the natural minor scale sounds wonderful played over many type of progressions. Of course, there are an infinite number of scales, like major pentatonic, diminished, etc. But what has worked best for me over the years is to take fewer things and learn them more deeply rather than the opposite. Best, Jack
Old 03-29-2020, 12:39 PM

You’re super young from a physical standpoint. No arthritis, etc. So no excuses!

Bluegrass is such a well-defined style of music, with such a robust community worldwide, that even in a global pandemic you will be able to seek them out online. They will get you going.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:54 PM

I just set out on this same journey myself... so thanks for raising the topic!
It has been a little harder finding flatpicking content than typical guitar videos.

countryguitaronline.com is good for beginners. It will seem a little elementary if you've been playing a while.
Scott Nygaard's lessons on Peghead are great intermediate lessons.
Homespun is also a great resource for traditional music.
Oh and Banjo Ben Clark is a good one.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Flat Picking Essentials Volumes 1-8. You can them individually, or all together on a thumb drive.

https://www.flatpick.com/category_s/2245.htm
This website is great for bluegrass - Tim May and Brad Davis have excellent books and materials for your interest.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:16 PM

My recommendation: don't waste your time with the online stuff. Get a good book and work through it, setting your own pace. Practicing scales in isolation is boring and off-putting. Make music from day one.

Steve Kaufman has gotten me hooked on bluegrass - his books can be had new or second hand. Each one is months and months of good times and you'll be pretty good by the time you're done with them.

http://www.flatpik.com/instructional...-know-volume-1
Old 03-29-2020, 02:39 PM

I would strongly disagree that online tutorials are a waste of time.

I've learned stuff in a matter of hours that took me months to learn before the internets.

Of course, it depends on the tutorial and tutor, but overall, I've seen some really excellent tutorials on the internet.

For the amazingly low price of free.
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write