The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Are we supposed to be uplifting discussing a pandemic?
I really can't think of a positive way to discuss a pandemic , so I am not going to do that .
Of course , there are exceptions . According to what I have heard and seen Dr Fauci is of the opinion that every survivor will be immune going forward . And a whole lot more are surviving than succumbing .

Last edited by Acousticado; 03-29-2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: ‘Nuff said, got it?
Old 03-29-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
According to what I have heard and seen Dr Fauci is of the opinion that every survivor will be immune
Well there's some hope there IMHO that those ones who are out of work could be in the first tier of unquarantined back to work citizens before a vaccine is developed...
Old 03-29-2020, 11:01 AM

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/29/morta...571/?ITO=squid

The UK is finding alarming stats in terms of mortality rates of covid19 patients who are in intensive care.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandardTuning View Post
Hi all,

In case you are interested, I found a Nat Geo article about analyses performed to estimate the effect of social distancing on the 1918 flu. The data comes from a JAMA and two PNAS paper, all published in 2007. Nat Geo regraphed the data to make it more digestible.

https://apple.news/AVcfT9tVgRhGzBWifOL4PJg

Different US cities implemented social distancing regulations at different times and duration. The figures give a few examples of how these policy decisions impacted fatalities and “rebound” effects.

Keep well.
Some more history on the 1918 pandemic. Unfortunately the warning at the end of this 2004 article wasnt heeded.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC340389/
Old 03-29-2020, 12:32 PM

IMHO needs to be included as mandatory educational curriculums moving forward, both history and transmission routes. We don't remember and we aren't emergency prepared in this area.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:36 PM

Unfortunately we have had responses in the past decades and not replenished the supplies used for the last response. After this is over, I would like to know why.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:39 PM

Cases are increasing because more people are being tested.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:42 PM

Today's numbers are starting to come in. I'm guessing we'll be over 1,000,000 cases by Tuesday night. Italy, Spain and France as well as the Netherlands are still having massive issues. The U.S.'s most effected states won't be reporting until later.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide496 View Post
IMHO needs to be included as mandatory educational curriculums moving forward, both history and transmission routes. We don't remember and we aren't emergency prepared in this area.
Become prepared . There lies the answer . You can't control nature or places controlled by others . That answer lies in an area out of bounds here .
A lack of preparation by others does not make an emergency for me . Once again , fill your own glass , but don't demand that others fill your glass for you . This is up to you and there will never be a better time than now to make it happen . You can do this .
Old 03-29-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Cases are increasing because more people are being tested.
Cases are increasing because people continue to be infected. Identification of cases occurs partially due to testing and because of people seeking help. We still are testing at a deplorable rate and the U.S. is up 10% - so far- today. Infection spread won't stop until people, ALL PEOPLE, get on board with zero spread which means stay at home for 2-3 weeks. Until that happens the ignorant will continue to infect the unsuspecting.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Cases are increasing because people continue to be infected. Identification of cases occurs partially due to testing and because of people seeking help. We still are testing at a deplorable rate and the U.S. is up 10% - so far- today. Infection spread won't stop until people, ALL PEOPLE, get on board with zero spread which means stay at home for 2-3 weeks. Until that happens the ignorant will continue to infect the unsuspecting.
Clearly, testing is increasing. If daily case count increases stay steady WHILE testing is simultaneously increasing - we are making an improvement.

Regardless what sort of theoretical hardcore containment/quarantine/lockdown scheme is imagined - the reality is is just ain't gonna happen. It is what it is.

Last, I don't think you can call anybody "unsuspecting" at this point. We've all heard and read about the boogieman, and we all know it's out there.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
....I don't think you can call anybody "unsuspecting" at this point. We've all heard and read about the boogieman, and we all know it's out there.
As long as states, affected cities and counties and people that haven't made containment efforts are a great part of the expanding problem. As are people not taking this seriously.

States like VA and MD who have done little to curb their thousands of commuting residents are beginning to increase at rates higher than the national average. VA is today reporting an increase of 17% cases and MD is at 20% increase. Clearly their lack of concern is going to effect the entire east coase as people pass through there. Then there are states like Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Arizona, Nevada, Arkansas, Nebraska - that have done next to (or actually) nothing. Those and the ignorant filling streets in some cities as if nothing is going on are the problem.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Clearly, testing is increasing. If daily case count increases stay steady WHILE testing is simultaneously increasing - we are making an improvement..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Cases are increasing because people continue to be infected. Identification of cases occurs partially due to testing and because of people seeking help...
I've read both of your posts and think you both are seeing similar things from two different points. Let's agree it's getting worse and there's more that can be done to slow the spread, and ultimate fatal results. Let's fight the enemy - ignorance and apathy.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 03-29-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Become prepared . There lies the answer . You can't control nature or places controlled by others . That answer lies in an area out of bounds here .
A lack of preparation by others does not make an emergency for me . Once again , fill your own glass , but don't demand that others fill your glass for you . This is up to you and there will never be a better time than now to make it happen . You can do this .
NYC
3/28

Yes absolutely "fill my own glass" I have been since about Feb 28 or so and continually update my protocols. It's not an early recognition and response though.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide496 View Post
NYC
3/28

Yes absolutely "fill my own glass" I have been since about Feb 28 or so and continually update my protocols. It's not an early recognition and response though.
Yep. Personal protection requires personal responsibility. In the absence of the latter from others, the former becomes more important.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic