The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-02-2020, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

I'm an electric bassist. Pocono resorts, weddings, corporate events etc.

Sadowsky metro Will Lee
Sadowsky metro mv4 (5 string)
1974 Ric
2006 Thunderbird
2004 EBMM Sterling.

The Sadowsky 4 gets the call way more then all the others combined. I do about 10 bass gigs a month, and it can cover anything I need.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 03-02-2020, 11:15 AM

Never had the privilege of playing a Sadowsky, but they're beautiful instruments.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
I am not a bass player. When I play bass it sounds like a guitar player playing the bass.
Bless you for acknowledging there's a difference. I almost wish that God had invented the bass with a different tuning so guitar players didn't automatically think they could play it.

Couch Standards
Old 03-02-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Epiphone Jack Casady with flats. Large thin hollowbody with a unique pickup.
The Casady fits really well with acoustic guitars.

Ditto the old Danelectro/Silvertone "lipstick" basses, as well as the reissues. Long scale and short scale are both good, and while they were never sold in a fretless version, they convert very nicely.

Couch Standards
Old 03-02-2020, 01:05 PM

I have an electric and an 'acoustic' bass that get played once in a great while. I do enjoy playing it. Like anything in music it helps open your mind up for ideas when you play around on different instruments. A little bass is good for ya.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Bless you for acknowledging there's a difference. I almost wish that God had invented the bass with a different tuning so guitar players didn't automatically think they could play it.
I know what you're saying, and I agree with the observation that many guitar players play bass differently than those that specialized in the bass from the get-go, and some of those "guitar players who bought a bass" approaches aren't what some/many bands are looking for. Like obnoxious lead singers and turned up too loud guitarists there's a reason for the stereotype to be recognizable.

Groove and timing are obviously important in most contexts for bassists. As I told my son when he started taking electric bass as his primary instrument lessons: the wrong note played at the right time will sound better than the right note played at the wrong time on bass.

But additional melodic and harmonic information can be played by the bass player and still make a composition sound great. And we're not just talking about avant garde stuff here. I give you a testimonial: Paul McCartney.

Those of you that record, don't let the "guitarist who bought a bass" stereotype stop you from considering the electric bass. Yes, you should think differently when playing it, and the simplest of bass lines can still enhance a song. Sonically, I've tried a number of the MIDI ways to make an electric bass track, and while such things have got their uses, even a guitarist hacking out a simple bass line can add a lot of flavor that's hard to obtain otherwise.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-02-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
I've often wondered as a season guitar player how easy or difficult it would be to learn/play electric bass. (Not that I had or have any real desire to pick it up).

If I did play bass and given my taste in guitars, I'd probably be playing a Fender Precision or Jazz bass.

On a side note, I love the upright bass also but again, no real desire to play myself.
If you can read music and can read the bass notation ( and not get them confused all the time like me), it should be no problem. I picked up an inexpensive Squier Jaguar modified bass ( hass P bass and jazz bass pickups ..think I got that right?) about two years ago. I use it when I make backing tracks or to put a bass line on the Boss pedal when playing songs. Really fills out your sound..best move I ever made outside of other six string guitars.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I recently took a bunch of lessons on Bass technique because I have a similar affliction.
my basses are both Carvin LB-40s, but one of them is frettless!
So fun!
Old 03-02-2020, 07:22 PM

i have an Ibanez bass now, thats all, sadly when i was younger i sold my 65 Jazz and 68 EBO for $125 and $60 respectively not knowing what the future beholds
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 03-03-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
i have an Ibanez bass now, thats all, sadly when i was younger i sold my 65 Jazz and 68 EBO for $125 and $60 respectively not knowing what the future beholds

I’ve also learned the hard way... see above regarding my lovely Aria Black n Gold II...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-26-2020, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

I'm a fair-to-middlin' couch guitar player and using isolation/quarantine time as an opportunity to fulfill a longtime ambition of learning to play bass. Where do I start? I've been listening to favorite classic rock music with an aim to filtering out the vocals and guitar and just focus on what bass players do. That's harder than it sounds when one has been listening to music for over six decades without hearing the bass. I sorted through my computer music library and pulled out songs with a real prominent bass. A good example would be...

Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-26-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'm a fair-to-middlin' couch guitar player and using isolation/quarantine time as an opportunity to fulfill a longtime ambition of learning to play bass. Where do I start?
I'd start you out simple. Actually, simple but hard. The notes are simple, but playing them in the pocket is the hard part.

Couch Standards
Old 03-26-2020, 02:19 PM

Default Context is everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'm a fair-to-middlin' couch guitar player and using isolation/quarantine time as an opportunity to fulfill a longtime ambition of learning to play bass. Where do I start? I've been listening to favorite classic rock music with an aim to filtering out the vocals and guitar and just focus on what bass players do. That's harder than it sounds when one has been listening to music for over six decades without hearing the bass. I sorted through my computer music library and pulled out songs with a real prominent bass.
There are lots of recordings with prominent bass. The loosely titled 'Pop and Dance music' would be my first points of departure. However you're talking about classic rock, and unlike guitar you have to play along with the recordings for it all to make sense. Otherwise it will sound (...to the unaccustomed ear) like a bunch of semi-random notes...

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 03-26-2020, 04:31 PM

I've played bass in bands since the mid 70's. Started out with a black body/white p/g, Fender Telecaster bass, 1968 model.

2019 Yamaha 4 string bass
2019 PRS Grainger 4 string bass, passive/active p/u's

I miss playing Motown covers in my 1st few bands, at college. Now I'm about 80% guitar 20% bass.

The Grainger bass, (gift from my wife) is an amazing bass, really easy to play, doesn't sound as good as the Telecaster (vintage) bass. Seeing Stu Hamm the first time, 1986, re-ignited my bass jets. Favorite bass-line: Bill Wyman- 2000 Light Years from Home.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Clearly I'm going into waters that are uncharted by me as I start to learn bass, but at the age of 70 sounding like a guitar player playing the bass isn't even on the list of my concerns...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 03-28-2020 at 06:33 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars