The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-25-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Nice sunburst - is that burst hand rubbed?

Hats off to Frans and it’s not hand rubbed
Old 03-25-2020, 07:45 AM

Wonderful sounding instrument! Terrific note separation, much clearer and more controlled to my ears than many. I have always attributed the immediacy and lack of cross-string vibration in an archtop to the bridge design (i.e., anchored at the end of the guitar and pressing down rather than pulling up) plus of course the usual notions of f-holes projecting better, etc. But this Elferink has many of those response characteristics with a round-hole flattop and only an arched back. Amazing to see that impact from the back—it’s enough to make a person re-think some of the usual archtop assumptions! Anyway, great and original instrument!
Old 03-25-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
Wonderful sounding instrument! Terrific note separation, much clearer and more controlled to my ears than many. I have always attributed the immediacy and lack of cross-string vibration in an archtop to the bridge design (i.e., anchored at the end of the guitar and pressing down rather than pulling up) plus of course the usual notions of f-holes projecting better, etc. But this Elferink has many of those response characteristics with a round-hole flattop and only an arched back. Amazing to see that impact from the back—it’s enough to make a person re-think some of the usual archtop assumptions! Anyway, great and original instrument!

From what little I know about building guitars which is virtually nothing I was expecting a lot more tone akin to a standard OM given the bracing of the top which is standard X config and OM width (Frans thought initially standard Archtop 3’ but I asked for OM size to maybe beef up the Bass) but the results have blew me away, it feels like a full archtop when chunking on chords etc but very sweet with bags of sustain when picked a tad lighter
Old 03-25-2020, 02:28 PM

A number of years ago (2001 at Villa Chanticleer!) I played a new guitar by Mark Blanchard with a spruce flattop and a maple arched back—with quite similar tonal qualities. Great note separation and perhaps a little drier than a regular flattop but with ample sustain. A great instrument which I hadn’t any real idea at the time how to play. Definitely a middle ground between a flattop and an archtop, maybe a little closer to an arch.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Owning a number of luthier made carved back / flat top guitars as well as archtop guitars I have found the following to be true:
  • Like any luthier made flattop, the basic timbre of the guitar reflects the style of the builder, size/volume of the instrument and the characteristics of their braced top (e.g. scalloped bracing favors bass or tapered bracing favors sustain etc.).
  • Like traditional ladder braced flat backed guitars, interaction with the carved back can vary based on the material (dense, glassy rosewoods are different than lighter, higher damping maples etc.).
  • In general, I have found them to have a fast attack, excellent string-to-string clarity, articulate bass response, focus and project very well. Aspects regarding amount of sustain, overtones, responsiveness all will differ by builder and their approach (point number 1).
Enjoy your new guitar....
Old 03-26-2020, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Owning a number of luthier made carved back / flat top guitars as well as archtop guitars I have found the following to be true:
  • Like any luthier made flattop, the basic timbre of the guitar reflects the style of the builder, size/volume of the instrument and the characteristics of their braced top (e.g. scalloped bracing favors bass or tapered bracing favors sustain etc.).
  • Like traditional ladder braced flat backed guitars, interaction with the carved back can vary based on the material (dense, glassy rosewoods are different than lighter, higher damping maples etc.).
  • In general, I have found them to have a fast attack, excellent string-to-string clarity, articulate bass response, focus and project very well. Aspects regarding amount of sustain, overtones, responsiveness all will differ by builder and their approach (point number 1).
Enjoy your new guitar....

Your general assumption is spot on with this one and can’t put it down thanks all

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop