The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-15-2020, 09:19 PM

Default Got a new guitar.

Hello I just won an auction for a 64 National Bluegrass 35 Resoglass. What strings do I use? It had flat wound strings on it. The neck has no truss rod, and I'm a little concerned that using heavy gauge strings will make the neck bow. I know nothing about these guitars. It is a beaut. Any info would be helpful.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:19 AM

My guess is that the previous owner must have used it for playing slide guitar and chose flatwounds to minimize any clatter.

It’s really up to you in terms of what strings to use. I do own several resonator instruments, and have found that the string alloy used has noticeably less impact on the tone than on regular acoustic instruments.

So I’d suggest that you start with a set of Ernie Ball Slinkies and then proceed to experiment from there.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-17-2020, 10:33 AM

First off, congrats and mucho envy on a way cool guitar! I didn't know those existed! I am assuming it's a round neck, people rarely worry overly much about string tension on a square neck. String choice will depend on what you plan to do with it - I have one Dobro for bottleneck exclusively and one resonator guitar for normal tuning and playing. I'd be very comfortable putting regular light gauge strings on it, .012 - .054 ish, for normal guitar tuning, and .013 - .056 for slide work tuned in DGDGBD (low G tuning) or my personal tuning, EGDGBD - the low E gives you m7 chords all up the neck. I would not use high G Dobro tuning - GBDGBD - way too much tension for my comfort level, and that is the normal tuning for a square-neck lap style instrument.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:53 AM

Thanks for your reply.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments