The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-27-2020, 01:45 PM

Regarding Gibson scraping finish off binding. The paint/finish was a later part of the tour at the Memphis factory as the tour progressed through the building process. I had built/assembled an electric guitar myself in 1996 (bought a fretted bolt on neck and shaped body, but cut the headstock shape, routed out for pick ups, and had to purchase a very long drill bit for the wiring channels, hand rubbed finish and multiple coats of lacquer on the body, and assembled it) so had some idea how at least one amateur put together an electric guitar.

Watched a guy spray a sunburst on one guitar while we were at that station. Near the paint area was a room, with glass windows across the front and rows of (mostly at least) women sitting at tables, each with a guitar. The tour guide said they were cleaning the binding. I asked, why they didn't just mask off the binding before spraying color and the tour guide answered that it didn't work. I don't remember the exact explanation other than apparently they had tried doing that and it didn't produce the results they were looking for.

I believe it was the summer of 2015 that we toured the Memphis factory so things may be different now. The bindings were being scraped by hand in what seemed like a tedious and time consuming process because each person was only working on one guitar during the several minutes we were at that station. It was my reasoning that this time consuming process was one factor as to why a Gibson with binding cost more than one without. There are other factors that contribute to the price of a particular model, but not having to route binding channels and the aforementioned scraping also contribute.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:56 PM

Now I can't say how good the quality of the work was on cleaning the binding because we were watching through windows and the front row was at least 10 feet away from where we were. I'm very happy with the two Les Pauls I have owned for the past 5+ years, both the Studio in Honeyburst and the Traditional in Heritage Cherry Sunburst (pretty typical I'm afraid). I imagine that both of my guitars were made in Nashville, not Memphis, but tours weren't available at the Nashville factory at that time. I have read too many stories over the past several years about Gibson letting guitars out the door that have sub-par quality and it makes me sad. I feel fortunate that I haven't found or noticed some of these issues on mine, at least not yet.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post

Just like Stratocasters, Les Pauls come in a multitude of pickup combinations, woods, neck sizes, finishes and so on.
This is my Studio. It’s a 2001 tripleA flame top. I installed the Bigsby and roller bridge. I couldn’t ask for more from a Les Paul. Studios are excellent guitars.
That is the sexiest Studio I ever saw, what a beautiful top and the Bigsby n roller bridge look great on it !
20 Epiphone EJ-200SE-12-VS
20 PRS P20E
16 Breedlove D25/SRH Pro Series
17 Guild D-140
? Cort Luce L300V-F SB
17 Gibson SG Standard T
14 Ibanez AM93-TKS
04 Fender Stratocaster
21 Epiphone IBG ES335 Figured.
23 PRS SE McCarty 594
89 Marc Beneteau Dreadnaught
Old 04-05-2020, 01:18 PM

That is a beautiful top! and the gold does go well with it.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:18 PM

I went out to buy one a few years ago and the shop had 5 in stock. Only one of them felt good the others were ok.

Then the guy handed me a PRS S2 which had just come in and I was blown away at the difference.

Since then, PRS have released some nice S2 Singlecuts. Definitely worth checking out if you’re shopping in that price range.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean65 View Post
I went out to buy one a few years ago and the shop had 5 in stock. Only one of them felt good the others were ok.

Then the guy handed me a PRS S2 which had just come in and I was blown away at the difference.

I had a similar experience. I bought my 2013 Alpine White LP Studio new at Sam Ash. They had 4 of these exact same models in stock at the time, but this particular one definitely stood head and shoulders above the rest. I wasn't impressed with the other ones at all - despite all of them looking exactly alike. This one walked right out with me, and I still really like it - a lot.

I also have a 2014 Antique White PRS S2 and really like it a lot as well.

But I couldn't say I like one (the LP Studio vs the PRS S2) more than the other - Two very different guitars, and I really like them both!

Old 04-05-2020, 04:36 PM

What a couple of fantastic guitars! And yes, both different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
I had a similar experience. I bought my 2013 Alpine White LP Studio new at Sam Ash. They had 4 of these exact same models in stock at the time, but this particular one definitely stood head and shoulders above the rest. I wasn't impressed with the other ones at all - despite all of them looking exactly alike. This one walked right out with me, and I still really like it - a lot.

I also have a 2014 Antique White PRS S2 and really like it a lot as well.

But I couldn't say I like one (the LP Studio vs the PRS S2) more than the other - Two very different guitars, and I really like them both!

Old 04-05-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What a couple of fantastic guitars! And yes, both different.
Thanks, Dru. Yep, definitely very different guitars, but I really dig both!
Old 04-05-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
That is the sexiest Studio I ever saw, what a beautiful top and the Bigsby n roller bridge look great on it !
That’s very nice of you to say. The color that year was called “desert burst”. I’ve never seen another like it. Thank you very much for the nod. It now resides in St. Louis with my son and his family. It gets put thru a hot rodded ‘63 Ampeg Jet with Holy Grail and PlimSoul pedals up front. No school like the old school.
frank

Last edited by Chickee; 04-07-2020 at 12:02 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars