The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Got to try an Alvarez AR610CEAR last night with a beveled edge on the top where your arm sits and was amazed at the difference in comfort. I don't know why this isn't just the standard now? I for one, always feel that yop edge digging into my forearm and it may be just the way my arm hangs over a Grand Auditorium body, but with the beveled edge, there was no discomfort at all and I am now contemplating trading in my Taylor for an Alvarez just for the comfort factor alone. Am I crazy???
No. You're not crazy. I love the comfort of a bevel and I would enjoy having a guitar with it.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:04 PM

I agree, Taylor should be making more guitars with this option. They finally made the 324 Builders Edition, but I want a 322 or 522 with the bevel and scoop on the cutaway, instead of having to pay over $2000.00 additional for a Custom. Patiently waiting...
Waiting to see if Breedlove will follow suit? I wish Santa cruz offered this on their Mahogs too. The comfort factor is amazing. No more cutting into the brachial nerve.
Breedlove C25/Sme
Blueridge BR-163ce
Recording King RP2-626
Taylor GS Mini
Old 04-06-2020, 04:14 PM

My thoughts.
I like the feel of a bevel but I also like the feel of an arm rest.

Which brand do I like more? Washburn or Alvarez?
Not sure as I own one of each.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

A bevel and a wedge..seems like that woud be arm and shoulder heaven.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-06-2020, 10:44 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Got to try an Alvarez AR610CEAR last night with a beveled edge on the top where your arm sits and was amazed at the difference in comfort. I don't know why this isn't just the standard now? I for one, always feel that yop edge digging into my forearm and it may be just the way my arm hangs over a Grand Auditorium body, but with the beveled edge, there was no discomfort at all and I am now contemplating trading in my Taylor for an Alvarez just for the comfort factor alone. Am I crazy???
No you're not crazy -- the bevel on the Taylor 814ce DLX I picked up a month ago increases playing comfort substantially. I was actually very surprised at the level of comfort.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 04-07-2020, 03:28 AM

Old thread.

How about Furch’ s new “Bevel Duo”...

https://furchguitars.com/us/news/max...ure-bevel-duo/
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-07-2020, 06:55 AM

My Lowden has a beveled edge, which I find delightful.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-07-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Old thread.

How about Furch’ s new “Bevel Duo”...

https://furchguitars.com/us/news/max...ure-bevel-duo/
Bevels are becoming more popular and for good reason, they're quite comfortable. I have 2 Emerald carbon fiber guitars with bevels and curves everywhere and I can add that the rib bevel adds an additional level of comfort. I'm generally a dreadnought guy. I have 3 wooden dreads and if I grab either of them first I have no issues with comfort. However, I find if I play one of my Emeralds first and than grab a dread I certainly notice the difference in comfort. Furch's new bevel duo is certainly a nice looking design. To my knowledge, they're only the second maker of wooden guitars that now incorporate a rib bevel as well. Really looking forward to trying one some day. I was actually looking to get a custom Furch built with the bevel duo but due to the current chaos I deemed it too high of a risk so that'll have to wait.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:33 AM

Sometimes I wonder how I made it this long playing a guitar without an armrest...
Old 04-07-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Bevels are becoming more popular and for good reason, they're quite comfortable. I have 2 Emerald carbon fiber guitars with bevels and curves everywhere and I can add that the rib bevel adds an additional level of comfort. I'm generally a dreadnought guy. I have 3 wooden dreads and if I grab either of them first I have no issues with comfort. However, I find if I play one of my Emeralds first and than grab a dread I certainly notice the difference in comfort. Furch's new bevel duo is certainly a nice looking design. To my knowledge, they're only the second maker of wooden guitars that now incorporate a rib bevel as well. Really looking forward to trying one some day. I was actually looking to get a custom Furch built with the bevel duo but due to the current chaos I deemed it too high of a risk so that'll have to wait.
Yeah, the Emeralds look absolutely amazing in this regard...super comfortable jumbo option in that x30 as a result!

Just be warned that Furch's custom shop built guitars get crazy expensive. I just purchased a stock unit that has the bevel duo incorporated (see signature). I should have it in a few weeks. Before deciding on that direction I ran a few builds through their builder on their website and could not believe the ridiculous money that is charged. It made no sense to me compared to a stock build. The same guitar as a stock build with a small tweak in the custom shop was like 1500 to 2000 dollars more or something silly.

The place I bought the guitar from generally seems to NOT recommend the custom build direction unless you are super particular and have some money growing on a tree...lol...I would have to agree. Disappointing that they do that. Maybe other custom shops are similar. I have no idea.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-07-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Yeah, the Emeralds look absolutely amazing in this regard...super comfortable jumbo option in that x30 as a result!

Just be warned that Furch's custom shop built guitars get crazy expensive. I just purchased a stock unit that has the bevel duo incorporated (see signature). I should have it in a few weeks. Before deciding on that direction I ran a few builds through their builder on their website and could not believe the ridiculous money that is charged. It made no sense to me compared to a stock build. The same guitar as a stock build with a small tweak in the custom shop was like 1500 to 2000 dollars more or something silly.

The place I bought the guitar from generally seems to NOT recommend the custom build direction unless you are super particular and have some money growing on a tree...lol...I would have to agree. Disappointing that they do that. Maybe other custom shops are similar. I have no idea.
Yes I hear ya. I didn't go too crazy with the build and I did get a quote which I thought was certainly reasonable. That model in your signature I believe was the cheapest option with the bevel duo (not that that's a bad thing). I think it's roughly $1000 extra for cocobolo B/S vs rosewood. Just curious where did you order from? Brickhouse guitars?
Old 04-07-2020, 11:27 AM

My Taylor 914ce has the beveled "arm rest" and I love it. I also have a couple Martin dreads and they're not so comfortable - of course they are a bigger body style. My problem is a bad habit of exerting pressure at my right elbow while I'm playing which sometimes makes my hand start to go "to sleep". You know - it starts to tingle in the fingertips. That, from my experience, is bad, bad, bad, for a guitar player; especially a fingerpicker like me. So I'm breaking myself of the bad habit just so ya'll know and it's something I just started doing recently (within the last few years anyway).
2017 D'angelico ES1 Archtop
2018 Taylor 914ce
2019 Martin HD-28e
Old 04-07-2020, 11:57 AM

Beveled edges on an acoustic is a deal breaker for me, I’m too traditional I guess
Old 04-07-2020, 12:12 PM

My Avian has a beveled edge and it's very comfortable.

It's especially nice during long evening practice/play sessions at home.

On my other guitars I'd often throw a bandanna over the lower bout after a while to take the edge off the edge, so to speak.

I don't need to do that with my beveled edge guitar.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Yes I hear ya. I didn't go too crazy with the build and I did get a quote which I thought was certainly reasonable. That model in your signature I believe was the cheapest option with the bevel duo (not that that's a bad thing). I think it's roughly $1000 extra for cocobolo B/S vs rosewood. Just curious where did you order from? Brickhouse guitars?
That's exactly it. Brickhouse. I have the choice between the 2 rosewood red deluxe models they have coming in a few weeks from now. I was just informed that they are both spoken for already. There are apparently a lot of inquiries and interest in Furch's new line.

I do know that they also have 2 of the cocobolo version of that guitar coming in the same shipment (not sure what the sale status of those are though). I considered one but it was pushing too high in price. In Canadian dollars, by memory, it was pushing close to 7k for the cocobolo (high 6k mark). That made me check out of the idea. I'm a rosewood kind of guy anyway, so it was a pretty easy decision for me in the end. I also don't really like the fact that cocobolo often is not quarter sawn. All the images of the cocobolo Furch Red deluxes I've seen were not. You really pay a massive premium for cocobolo. I personally do not see much gain, if any...Certainly not sounds wise, but that is just me. They can look pretty darn flashy though. Beautiful looking for sure, especially when they lay in the sap wood. A lot of visual interest to say the least.
2019 PRS Silver Sky

Last edited by Dbone; 04-07-2020 at 12:28 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion