The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2018, 07:41 AM

Default Guitars with a beveled edge = AWESOME!

Got to try an Alvarez AR610CEAR last night with a beveled edge on the top where your arm sits and was amazed at the difference in comfort. I don't know why this isn't just the standard now? I for one, always feel that yop edge digging into my forearm and it may be just the way my arm hangs over a Grand Auditorium body, but with the beveled edge, there was no discomfort at all and I am now contemplating trading in my Taylor for an Alvarez just for the comfort factor alone. Am I crazy???
Old 05-31-2018, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Got to try an Alvarez AR610CEAR last night with a beveled edge on the top where your arm sits and was amazed at the difference in comfort. I don't know why this isn't just the standard now? I for one, always feel that yop edge digging into my forearm and it may be just the way my arm hangs over a Grand Auditorium body, but with the beveled edge, there was no discomfort at all and I am now contemplating trading in my Taylor for an Alvarez just for the comfort factor alone. Am I crazy???
I do not think that you are crazy as long as the Alvarez hits your sweet spot for tone. Comfort is an important factor is playing the guitar but the tone has to be there as well IMHO. If there are compromises to be made only you can decide if it is worth it. Both Taylor and Alvarez make nice instruments.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-31-2018, 08:01 AM
Guest 2434

shoulder discomfort, not necessarily while playing but immediately after I put down the guitar is a constant concern for me. it has led me away from 'large' guitars towards parlor and classical sizes.
if my shoulder issues can be resolved or at least ameliorated with a beveled edge then I am all for it. until recently bevel edged guitars were out of my price range. certainly some respectable 'value' manufacturers have introduced them into their ranges now. I am hoping some mid range examples appear soon although 'value' is good enough for me. I am keeping an eye on what's available this year and what people say about them.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:25 AM

This last year has been my worst for right shoulder pain and I'm getting physiotherapy after X-rays and ultrasounds verified mine (and the chiropractor's, massage therapist's, and GP's) suspicions.

I accomplished more comfort by switching to a classical guitar posture with all guitars than I got when I test played armrest bevels. Admittedly, I haven't actually lived with an armrest, just played a bunch. I also traded some acoustic guitar playing time for time on banjo, ukulele, mandolin, electric guitar, etc., anything smaller to relieve some of the rotator cuff discomfort. The physio is going well, I'm doing the exercises and modifying my behaviour.

I'm considering ordering another guitar and a bevel will be among the options offered by the builder.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:57 AM

I dont think the bevelled armrest will help shoulder issues - what it does is to relieve the pain of fhe arm resting on the edge of the guitar body over a longer period. The best thing that i have found that helps with rhe shoulder issues when playig the guitar is to play in the classical position. In that position, i can play even a 17 inch wide lower bout guitar without discomfort.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

There are multiple ways for us to help deal with bad shoulders:

I have shoulder and back issues at present and my bevelled guitar is getting all my playing time as a result. It is less painful than my other guitars, which effectively have larger dimensions for the lower bout and place my shoulder in a more painful position as a result. Individual responses to bevels may vary but for me they are a lifesaver.

For the same reason I am thinking of moving from OM size to 00 size.

And Gitarro’s comments are just as relevant. I have tried playing classical style and it feels strange but I’m sure with time I’d get used to it.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:29 PM

What's better....an Alvarez or a Washburn. They both make nice bevelled edge guitars for around 500-600
Old 06-01-2018, 04:33 PM

My McPherson sable has a sort of routed or sanded down edge. Really makes a difference even though it's not a dedicated arm rest.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:52 PM

I used to have a guitar with a beveled edge but found it no more comfortable than those without it.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

I agree with you very comfortable.

I will commission one someday I get the courage. Greenfield has 3 bevels available. That's a lot of extra construction steps, I reckon?
Old 06-01-2018, 08:08 PM

'I liked it so much I bought the company.' Oh wait, wrong commercial. Well same idea. I almost finished building a guitar and realized that I was going to have a problem with the edge so I started another one. Need to start on the neck but so far...

Old 06-02-2018, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

Hey, I want to see more pics of that guitar you're building!
Old 06-02-2018, 08:08 AM

I went to a Taylor GC body after pulverizing a collarbone and love it. Smaller bodies are the answer to physical discomfort, but a bevel sure couldn't hurt.

Taylor is including an arm bevel on their new low end Academy series and I test drove one the last time I was in Elderly Instruments. I like the bevel and I wouldn't mind if my Taylor 322 had a bevel as it would make the small comfortable body even more so.

The bevel really just eases the sharp edge of the upper bout, but it does solve the problem of discomfort associated with the edge.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:42 AM

Yes they are awesome
Old 06-02-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKT View Post
Hey, I want to see more pics of that guitar you're building!
It is an all spruce guitar, a size 5 Martin shape. A little shorter scale length though, 24". I have made a few softwood guitars and am making some interesting ones at the moment. This one has a torrified top which makes it look more like cedar. No binding, not a necessity for me as this guitar is for myself and I don't bang them around much. I have a condition where things that normal people would not find painful is to me and my arm rubbing up against the edge of the guitar hurts. That is why the arm bevel on such a small guitar.

I don't want to siderail the OP's thread pasting a bunch of pictures into but then I checked and found I stuck the building of this guitar in with an unusual build I did. So a picture or the link? Aw heck, the OP can throw me out if he wants.

Last page for this guitar.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=496685

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion