The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

Hey you two, we are already preparing Saturday dinner in Australia. Get some sleep!

BTW - The headstock and rosette look great
Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Smile Dinner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Hey you two, we are already preparing Saturday dinner in Australia. Get some sleep!

BTW - The headstock and rosette look great
What's on the dinner menu, shrimp on the barbie and a vegemite sandwich.

You know I love you Colin! Thanks for the nice comments.

John
Old 07-06-2013, 01:15 AM

It's looking great John.

(We are preparing breakfast here in South Africa)
Old 07-06-2013, 01:19 AM
Charter Member

Smile Thanks Roy

I hope my Meridian comes out as nice as yours Roy, and that you've been able to play yours even with the family visiting.

It's nice that Baranik owners and admirers from all over the world can come together on this forum.

John
Old 07-06-2013, 01:42 AM

I am sure it will be spectacular - Mike doesn't seem to make any mediocre looking or sounding guitars!

I have had a chance to play mine and have sent Mike my impressions. I am waiting a while to post on my thread until I get a few images. However, I don't think any waiting or further playing will make my review seem any less than an absolute "fan boy" !
Old 07-06-2013, 02:32 AM
Charter Member

Hey you guys, I have not had a build since my CX in 2008 and you two are giving me "build thread envy"!

Oh, and dinner is spaghetti bolognese and a gutsy red wine...winter down here and too cold for barbies.

Cheers, Col
Old 07-06-2013, 02:54 AM

Col, you are way overdue for another Baranik I think

Mmm, breakfast was not as impressive as I hoped - just coffee and a rusk

Apologies for the "hijack" John but technically it really isn't as I mentioned "Baranik"
Old 07-06-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
Thanks Jenn. I guess I'm not the only one who's a night-owl.

John
Late gig!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Smile Next Batch of Photos

The rosette being completed (in African blackwood, Cocobolo and purple heart with Koa binding):

That's it for now,
John

Last edited by Cocobolo Kid; 10-01-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Very nice John!
Steve
Old 07-09-2013, 03:18 PM

I'm a brand new guitar player (<3 weeks) so it's really a stretch to call my self a "player"...more like a "learner" as I learn to play my lowly Yamaha F325.

But I've discovered the sublime beauty of the guitar - both in sound and in pure asthetics. And I've further discovered these outrageous custom build threads. This guitar in particular is not only gorgeous already, but inspirational - unlike anything I've ever seen before. Who knew that the state of the ART in luthiery was at this level? I can't wait to see the finished work.

Simply incredible!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmire View Post
But I've discovered the sublime beauty of the guitar - both in sound and in pure asthetics. Who knew that the state of the ART in luthiery was at this level? I can't wait to see the finished work.

Simply incredible!
Dadmire,
Your post made me smile. I remember when I decided it was time for a new guitar after playing my faithful Guild D50 for 35 years. I went to every guitar store and played every Martin, Taylor, Gibson, etc. I saw, but, never found anything that was really that much better than what I already had. Then someone put an Acoustic Guitar Magazine in my hand where I found an ad for The Healdsburg Guitar Festival and I decided attend. It was there that I discovered just how amazing guitars that are not built on an assemble line can be. It was such an eye opener.

Good luck, and, if you can, try one of the national handbuilt shows. You will be a kid in a candy store.

Steve
P.S. I came home from the HGF with a Baranik JX.

Last edited by El Conquistador; 07-09-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Smile Learning Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmire View Post
I'm a brand new guitar player (<3 weeks) so it's really a stretch to call my self a "player"...more like a "learner" as I learn to play my lowly Yamaha F325.

But I've discovered the sublime beauty of the guitar - both in sound and in pure asthetics. And I've further discovered these outrageous custom build threads. This guitar in particular is not only gorgeous already, but inspirational - unlike anything I've ever seen before. Who knew that the state of the ART in luthiery was at this level? I can't wait to see the finished work.

Simply incredible!
Dadmire,

Like Steve, your touching post really made me smile. The sound, sight, smell and feel of a great guitar really does make you want to play more. I feel very fortunate to have more than one nice acoustic guitar to choose from now. Every time I go to play, I look forward to opening up the case and smelling that nice cedar smell, and then admiring the gorgeous wood and craftsmanship. As I play the first notes, I listen to the full, resonant sound and enjoy the feeling of the steel strings under my fingers.

Like probably most everyone else, I started learning guitar on a beater guitar; mine was a nylon stringed no-name classical guitar. I got frustrated with that and moved on to a cheap electric guitar. After that, I saved up to buy my first Gibson electric, an SG. After going to a Les Paul, trying a Strat, and then settling on an ES-175D, I changed my focus to acoustic playing. My first "nice" acoustic was a Taylor 314K. After playing that for a couple years, I stumbled upon a Marc Beneteau guitar at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo, Alto, where I used to live. That guitar made it sound like I was playing my Taylor inside a burlap bag. I bought the Beneteau on the spot, sold my Taylor, and never looked back.

Now I'm hooked on luthier built guitars, and I have a suspicion that in the not to distant future, if you keep playing, that you will be too.

I hope you have fun learning to play the acoustic guitar. There is so much more sheet music available now then when I started learning. A quality guitar really will make you want to play more. It will play easier and the sound will be more enjoyable. If you decide to take the plunge later, a pre-owned Baranik or Beneteau would be an excellent value for the money.

John
Old 07-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Smile Next batch of photos

Next batch of photos...

It's starting to take shape!
John

Last edited by Cocobolo Kid; 10-01-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:44 PM

Thanks John.

The back of your future guitar is AMAZING!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop