The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-08-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorwampus View Post
I have an Eastman E1D, retails under $600 USD, solid sapele back and sides, solid adirondack top. I play the heck out this guitar. I bang on on it. It is sweet and balanced, has bottom end grunt and It sounds better every time I pick it up. If their higher end guitars are proportionally better as the price goes up, I need to mortgage the house and buy another one.
These seem to be getting hard to find at the moment..back ordered...Also
Is the Adirondack top called something different.. It doesn't show the E1D with a Adirondack Top only spruce
Old 04-08-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Chris in Meridian, Idaho wrote:

Chris, what I have found is that Idaho musicians often prefer guitars with a heavily potato-centric tone to them, with underpinnings of deep fryer oil, sea salt and gourmet ketchup in the upper registers....

Okay, let's get serious here! Seriously, the suggestion to look for an Eastman is a good one. They're pretty hard to beat in their price range.

Larrivée also makes excellent all-solid wood guitars that are typically underpriced in the used guitar market, including not only a dreadnought but their own proprietary body shape the L body:

Larrivée L-03R

These guitars have the advantage of seeming smaller than they are: they're really comfortable to play, with their tucked in waists. But they're 16 inches across in the lower bout, which is actually a bit wider than a Martin dreadnought, and have all the power and projection of a full-sized guitar, with the tonal clarity and balance of a smaller one.

Another Larrivée series you might look into are their recent "Simple Six" models:

Larrivée Simple 6

These are very stripped down, no frills instruments, but they come in pretty darned close to your price range new.

So those are what I suggest you look for: a new Eastman dread, a used Larrivée L-03R, and possibly a new Larrivée Simple 6.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Your right! grew up With Potatoes being the main entree' lol

I'm still looking for a Larrivee to play...but most are closed but it's on my list to try
Old 04-08-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
There are some good options at this price and great suggestions so far. I’ll mention some that I haven’t seen mentioned.

Used, you could look at some of these:
Gibson J35, J15, Gospel reissue, J30
Martin Custom D, MMV, D16GT, DSR
Guild D25, D30, D35,G37
Taylor DN3( already mentioned but great value), DN4, 317
I'm looking into a Martin D10E in sapele and Guild D-120
It's a bad time to be trying to try a guitar So the search is on hold until I can do a hands on...
But I'm searching spec's and Video's till then
Old 04-08-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Guild F-150R - the rosewood jumbo made in China.

Here's a really nice early version with the large fret markers and gold tuners with hard case on Reverb.

Less than US$800.00

https://reverb.com/au/item/6569596-g...e?locale=en-AU

The newer models went to simple dot fret markers and nickel tuners - look a little more 'down market' than the earlier version.
I'll check it out.... I like Jumbo's also
Old 04-08-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Guild D-120, or used Martin D-15/J-15 - hog-tops are made for heavy-handed players IME...
Going to try out (after this is over and stores are open) a Martin D10E in sapele and the Guild D-120
Thanks
Old 04-08-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, this is telling me that you have a yen to buy a guitar, but you really don't yet know what you are looking for. That way leads to false moves, and turnig around guitars.

You mention a dreadnought (Martin style - or a jumbo (Gibson style) , and they are very different things.
A dreadnought is a std scale, bass biased rhythm box, and a Jumbo (j45 or similar) is a short scale middle focussed strummer.
A baritone will be pitched lower, (typically B-b), and with a 27" scale requiring somewhat thicker strings, and is a VERY different and rather limited (IMHO) instrument.

All are large guitars and not really designed for being played seated.

Might I suggest that you consider your playing style, and the fretboard width and length and the tonality that you seek, before spending any money.

btw I'm in the UK so prices are very different - obviously the better deals are when buying used, but that necessitate knowing how to assess an instrument as tere would be n warranty options.
Your right,,,,

I'm more of a Dread guy but I like Jumbo's also...I mentioned the Baritone in "E" tuning because of the bottom end and figured it could handle a heavy hand but I might be wrong

I play in more of a Classical setting....bout between my legs... Which makes larger guitars easier to handle and put's the fretboard closer.

Thanks for the input...
Old 04-08-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Chris

I'm guessing a good luthier or tech can set up any guitar you acquire to fit your style. Setup doesn't automatically need to come with off-the-shelf purchases.

The beauty of great luthiers and techs is they can tailor instruments to their player's style.

I might try raising the saddle on the treble side to get me by as I wait for the stores to reopen
Old 04-08-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I might try raising the saddle on the treble side to get me by as I wait for the stores to reopen
Before work I gave the neck a little relief, I'll play it after work.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:48 PM

I would suggest a used Martin D28/18. Many out there for sale. That’ll be at top end of your budget. Otherwise a Takamine Or Yamaha dread of Sitka/redwood would fit your pocket.

Again, I’d stick with the used guitars.
1980 Nakade classical, Spruce/EIR
and... a bunch of ukulele
Old 04-08-2020, 01:25 PM

I agree with the Larrivee recs. A used 03 or 40 series. While I like Guillds a lot, I find Larrivees can take a heavy hand without overdriving the top. In fact I kinda think Larrivee dreads sound best when hammered a bit. My Guild can take a lickin but not like the Larrivee

Last edited by Scotso; 04-08-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:31 PM

Slightly off the wall but I found the difference (for me) between playing my Tak dread and my old cheapo Framus archtop (UST) was the Framus sounded and felt better playing harder and concentrating on melody and triads rather than sweeping chords.

Hofner make some beauties, as well as all the usual suspects, just a thought.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:43 PM

+1 on the Larrivees....there are several nice ones in the sub-$1000 range on Reverb right now...to wit...
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query...rt=price%7Casc
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 04-08-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Davis View Post
Alvarez MD60BG

All solid wood with forward shifted scalloped X bracing.

Brand new they are like 599 and they will hand heavy hands. Definitely one of my nicest cheap guitars.
^^This^^. I'm also heavy handed when I strum and my MD60BG responds very well. Nice low end on it also. One of the more underrated all-solid values out there. I really love this guitar.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 04-08-2020, 05:28 PM

Larrivees are worth checking, have a few myself.

I'd suggest you check the 40 series as they are braced more in line with the bottom end you seem to desire.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion