The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-07-2020, 03:21 PM

Default 1907 Martin 0-21 x brace pattern VS Golden Era 0-21, same?

Hi guys could you please enlighten me if they are the same? Thanks

Old 04-07-2020, 04:51 PM

Nope. Pretty different. The 1907 guitar was not built for steel strings. It might handle light silk and steel but you absolutely don't want to put steel strings on it. It's not a modern guitar. Will sound excellent with nylon strings.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:57 PM

Or Thomastik John Pearce Folk strings, which are a little odd as all six are wound, but they sound great on old Martins. I’ve got one from 1895 strung with them and it’s wonderful.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
Or Thomastik John Pearce Folk strings, which are a little odd as all six are wound, but they sound great on old Martins. I’ve got one from 1895 strung with them and it’s wonderful.

Ooohh i would love to hear those! Thanks both of you.. i after the pattern or placement or scalloping if there are slight similarities.. probably in a diagram way better because i could not find a diagram to compare both.. what size did you go for?
Old 04-08-2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Nope. Pretty different. The 1907 guitar was not built for steel strings. It might handle light silk and steel but you absolutely don't want to put steel strings on it. It's not a modern guitar. Will sound excellent with nylon strings.

As long as you loosen the tension after play and not play on it a very long time i think its ok that is if you use a low tension string as well.. Newtone strings which is made here in the UK makes great ones...plus a very low action i might say. Ive been doing that for a long time and never had problems. Yes silk strings are ok too.. thank you!
Old 04-08-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pc4 View Post
As long as you loosen the tension after play and not play on it a very long time i think its ok that is if you use a low tension string as well.. Newtone strings which is made here in the UK makes great ones...plus a very low action i might say. Ive been doing that for a long time and never had problems. Yes silk strings are ok too.. thank you!
You might get away with it and you might not. Ask any repairman and they'll all have stories of someone finding a beautiful old guitar that wasn't designed or built for steel strings and stringing it up only to have it get seriously damaged right away. I've seen my fair share. The top will be thin, the bridge plate will be paper thin and the braces will look small compared to the lightest of modern builds. You very well might get away with it for a while but you might not. I personally wouldn't risk it with anything heavier than light silk and steel strings. Find one from the late 20's, which will still be light as a feather but was designed and built for steel strings.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
You might get away with it and you might not. Ask any repairman and they'll all have stories of someone finding a beautiful old guitar that wasn't designed or built for steel strings and stringing it up only to have it get seriously damaged right away. I've seen my fair share. The top will be thin, the bridge plate will be paper thin and the braces will look small compared to the lightest of modern builds. You very well might get away with it for a while but you might not. I personally wouldn't risk it with anything heavier than light silk and steel strings. Find one from the late 20's, which will still be light as a feather but was designed and built for steel strings.

Thats a great advise , it is on my mind always! I only play the guitar once a month though as it is just on display all the time.. thanks!!
Old 04-08-2020, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

What Osage and M Hayden said. I used to own a 1907 Martin 0-18, which, at the time, was also made with Brazilian back and sides. When mine was being repaired by a well regarded luthier here in the States, he mentioned that not only were these not braced for steel, but the tops were thinner as well than Martin's steel-specific successors.

Like M Hayden, I also found the Thomastik-Pearse strings to be a terrific compromise that allowed me to get more of a steel-string experience without threatening the integrity of the light build. While pricey, I did find that they lasted quite a while and are as light a string tension you'll find without going to nylon.

Lovely instrument you have there. Definitely continue to take care of it so it'll be around in 2107!

Austin
Old 04-08-2020, 01:31 PM

Hi austin 0-18 was not brazilian back and sides though. But appreciate your comments. Will try TI John Pearse Folk then.. great..
Old 04-08-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pc4 View Post
Hi austin 0-18 was not brazilian back and sides though. But appreciate your comments. Will try TI John Pearse Folk then.. great..

The 0-18 absolutely was made from Brazilian Rosewood in 1907. They switched to Mahogany in 1917.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:44 PM

I stand corrected thank you very good advise again..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion