The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-05-2020, 02:56 PM

Default T C Electronic Plethora X5

I'm a huge fan of TC effects and their Toneprint technology. This new item allows up to 5 (of 12) effects at once to be used. Looks like a game changer. The price is about what 3 or maybe 4 used TC pedals would cost, let alone the patch cables and power supply daisy chain. If I didn't already have a $2500 pedalboard I love, and was looking to get into effects, this would be at the top of my list.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:50 PM

I still want to know how this pedal went from $399 street to $499 street.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Maybe the same reason eggs at my local grocer went from $0.99/dozen to $3.99/dozen...
I never really understood price changes in gear related items. Once I paid $199 for a Tascam DR-40 (full retail) and 45 days later, GC had it listed at $125 regular price. Since, it has been $149, $179, $199. So I have no clue.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:21 AM

Yeah, I have been looking at this one too.

I'm kinda torn, because I have been planning on buying the Pod Go upon release. My wife and i play both electric and acoustic music from a variety of genres and styles and our gigging vehicle is a Corolla. I was planning on using the Pod Go straight through the board. The TC board looks to have cab modeling, but not amp modeling. I love the sound of my tube/tube hybrid amps through a cab, but really need to simplify our setup and minimize stuff needed.

I am also afraid that that Pod Go may sound just so-so through our PA, whereas the TC board through my amps would be a definite winner. Uggh. No not for me. No overdrives or distortion.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

Last edited by roylor4; 04-06-2020 at 07:37 AM. Reason: just checked - no OD
Old 04-06-2020, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Most likely the retail price increase reflects an unanticipated supply vs demand increase in the manufacturing costs coming out of China, pre then post Corona

The unit does look interesting especially if one is willing to go all TC

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-06-2020, 02:44 PM

Default T C Electronic Plethora X5

This pedal really intrigues me. I’m not much of an effects guy: just basic stuff, but those few things I do use need to sound really good.

1) Recently for recording, I’ve started using a TC Electronics Sentry for noise reduction. Unlike most noise gates, the Sentry divides the guitar frequency range into three bands, and with the editor, you have complete control over everything you might want to set. It sounds so much better than a regular noise gate! It really is more like iZotope NR than gating.

2) I’ve recently discovered that I like using two reverbs: one set to a room reverb, and the second to a bigger hall setting. To me, the effect of this is that the direct pickup sounds more like a mic in a room (thanks to the room reverb), then run through a little lush artificial reverb (the hall reverb). I am loving this sound, but most effects boxes only let you do one reverb at a time.

3) I would use the amp simulator when I play with an archtop instead of my acoustic.

4) The TonePrint effects are wonderful sounding and highly configurable. I really want the sound of a studio reverb, not a stomp box reverb.

5) The effects loop is highly useful for adding a proper looper. If I am going to do looping, I want something with multiple loops and lots of memory. I don’t want a thrown in basic looper. In order to do this right you really need the effects loop, and this pedal has it.

6) I believe the outputs are TRS balanced.

Last edited by lkingston; 04-06-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:48 PM

Default TC Plethora?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
This pedal really intrigues me. I’m not much of an effects guy: just basic stuff, but those few things I do use need to sound really good.

1) Recently for recording, I’ve started using a TC Electronics Sentry for noise reduction. Unlike most noise gates, the Sentry divides the guitar frequency range into three bands, and with the editor, you have complete control over everything you might want to set. It sounds so much better than a regular noise gate! It really is more like iZotope NR than gating.

2) I’ve recently discovered that I like using two reverbs: one set to a room reverb, and the second to a bigger hall setting. To me, the effect of this is that the direct pickup sounds more like a mic in a room (thanks to the room reverb), then run through a little lush artificial reverb (the hall reverb). I am loving this sound, but most effects boxes only let you do one reverb at a time.

3) I would use the amp simulator when I play with an archtop instead of my acoustic.

4) The TonePrint effects are wonderful sounding and highly configurable. I really want the sound of a studio reverb, not a stomp box reverb.

5) The effects loop is highly useful for adding a proper looper. If I am going to do looping, I want something with multiple loops and lots of memory. I don’t want a thrown in basic looper. In order to do this right you really need the effects loop, and this pedal has it.

6) I believe the outputs are TRS balanced.
Was looking at these. Wonder if any of you purchased for acoustic, and what you thought of it.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
Was looking at these. Wonder if any of you purchased for acoustic, and what you thought of it.
Was wondering the same...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars