The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-07-2020, 02:36 PM

One of my favorite GC's is in the buffalo area - the last time i was their
they had guitars in boxs they would not pull out and let anybody play -
becasue they were pretty exspensive - i remember a gorgeous PRS
that the manager told me -they dont pull it out unless they feel comfortable with the guitarist -
and he also stayed with me for the ten or fifteen minutes i played it -it was imaculate -
So their not all beaters -personally if i cant inspect a guitar from most GC center
Id pass on it
Old 04-07-2020, 03:00 PM

I like GC and Sam Ash. They were challenged by on line competition before this crisis, man I hope they survive. I want a world where brick and mortar exists, where I can touch and feel (in this case listen to) things before purchase.

We'll miss them if they don't survive.....
Old 04-07-2020, 03:48 PM

It's obviously a joke, hyperbole. They could've said Sam Ash or any brick and mortar store. If they meant to single out GC, that's silly.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
This isn't directed at anyone here, okay? Have you ever spent any time on an elementary school playground? Kids are like little defensive sponges. An "influencer" starts talking down one of the kids on the playground and everyone looks around, sighs a sigh of relief, and says inside his head, "It is safe to bash that kid. At least it isn't me who is being bashed." And then they join in and begin to enjoy it. It is all fine and dandy until they tire of picking on that person and the "influencers" need a victim to bash. Then everyone on the playground is susceptible again.

Think about that when you get in the circle and start pounding the easy target.

Speaking of which, do you remember the football toughening exercise called "bull in the ring"? You put the team in a circle, pick a guy to put in the middle, and then get everyone churning their feet. The coach calls a number and the player with that number charges in and hits the guy in the middle. It is the guy in the middle's job to rotate around to the incoming guy's direction, get prepared, and take the hit head-on. That exercise could quickly degenerate into the same phenomenon. One season I had an assistant coach who hated me. My head coach called me in and volunteered that info to me after the season. That assistant coach used bull in the ring as his opportunity to inflict pain on anyone he was mad at. One time he put me in the ring and ran me for about three times the number of hits normally doled out. As I fatigued, he sped up his calls until I was unable to recover quickly enough from one to face the next one from the side or the back. Eventually the hits from the back started knocking me down. After one of the times i went down, as I was trying to drag myself back up, the coach called on the team captain to hit me. The team captain said, "Coach, he's had enough. I'm not going to hit him."

That young man had the guts to defy this coach, who was built like a gorilla. He is now a four star general in the Air Force in charge of our country's combat aircraft. When I heard of it, I wasn't all that surprised. He showed leadership back then and I'd trust hm now.

Bob
Jeeze, Bob we were just talking about the guitars at Guitar Center.
scott
Old 04-07-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
scott
Yeah, a bit intense...lol
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-08-2020, 01:54 PM

I was recently in the acoustic room at Sam Ash in NYC where a 8yr old was thrashing every guitar while his father stared at his phone.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:08 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
scott
It's actually kind of hilarious. Kind of like the "Blucher" trigger from Young Frankenstein:

Stick your head in the room here and yell "Guitar Center!" and the horses automatically whinny. Only, after a while it is clearly the very same thing as the kids on the playground who piled on. For that matter, the psychology of forums can be really quite similar to the playground. There are places and people who are a safe dis.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-08-2020, 06:39 PM

Lol. This thread is getting bizarre.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-08-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
... I live a few blocks from a fine small guitar-oriented music store....
Hoffman Handmade Guitars ?
I was going to visit them before things got away from us.
Really, really hope to get there when we get back to normal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion