The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
I disagree. It doesn't look bad on Martin. It looks bad on the shop owner and the airport. You can't hold Martin responsible (for a non-manufacturer defect condition) once their product leaves the shop...and nobody reasonably would.
I'd agree with you if only well-informed guitar owners saw it.
But it is the general public who sees this one.

Unfortunately, and in this case unfairly, some potential customers will question the quality of an expensive guitar with an obvious crack.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:06 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
I disagree. It doesn't look bad on Martin. It looks bad on the shop owner and the airport. You can't hold Martin responsible (for a non-manufacturer defect condition) once their product leaves the shop...and nobody reasonably would.
You are assuming that everyone shares your knowledge of the humidity requirements of a solid wood acoustic. Nearly all of the earth's population does not. All they see is a cracked guitar with Martin on the headstock.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 03-26-2019 at 04:19 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-26-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
You are assuming that everyone shares your knowledge of the humidity requirements of a solid wood acoustic.
Nearly all of the earth's population do not. All they see a cracked guitar with Martin on the headstock.
.....this^
Old 03-27-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
You are assuming that everyone shares your knowledge of the humidity requirements of a solid wood acoustic. Nearly all of the earth's population does not. All they see is a cracked guitar with Martin on the headstock.

You nailed it, most of them won't notice the crack or the brand name.

Besides, I have an old Martin with lots of cracks, still plays and sounds great. They get that way...
Old 03-27-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
I have to agree. No different than a Ford driving around Detroit covered in rust. Slothead isn't blaming Martin and we all know it's how it has been cared for and .......a) Most people don't care and b) no one is going to think it's a reflection on the manufacturer just because it's on display. If Slothead takes the time to contact Martin it's a tribute to him/her for doing so but Martin isn't likely to do anything more than they would for a Martin hanging in a Hard Rock restaurant or anywhere else. No one blames Martin for Willie's beater.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
And "nearly all of the world's population" wouldn't even probably realize that's a bad thing. Nor could they possibly blame the manufacturer or see it as a reflection of quality. If it was being sold in a store that way then yes but this is a free guitar handed out to anyone at an airport. I doubt "the world's population" would expect it to be in great shape or well cared for by the people that handle it. But that's all POST manufacturer issues.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:16 AM
Guest 33123

Whatever. Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Whatever. Not my circus, not my monkeys.
LoL...mine either.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:29 AM

No Photo ?
Ed
Old 03-27-2019, 10:34 AM

I agree with everyone who said, "A Martin guitar, with an obvious crack, is not a very good advertisement for Martin guitars". Not many people, except some acoustic guitar owners, are going to think that the shop owner should have humidified it better.

I'm sure Martin would like to know about the cracked guitar and they would fix or replace it.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:11 PM

If you manufacture a product that you want people to buy, any samples of that product that you put on public display should look absolutely flawlessly perfect.

That's not even Advertising 101, that's something you have to know to be admitted to 101.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
If you manufacture a product that you want people to buy, any samples of that product that you put on public display should look absolutely flawlessly perfect.

That's not even Advertising 101, that's something you have to know to be admitted to 101.
Understanding that for a "public display" is certainly key BUT once it's passed from the manufacturer's hands they have ZERO control over it. ESPECIALLY when it's not used simply as a "display item" (not to be touched or used). That's just "Real Life 101".
Old 03-27-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

One of the lessons of 50 GAS induced acoustics coming into my life was a 20 year display case instrument. It was an unplayed, 20 plus year old, Buddy Holly J 45 signature model. The nice seller was upfront about the guitars history. Apparently his dad passed away. He was selling his guitars on display at their Oklahoma restaurant. It came damaged. He didn't use a guitar box just sandwiched cardboard. The in transit, inside the case, Gibson cracked headstock / neck joint.

I think the dryness of the wood could have entered into the injury because he said they were not humidified while on display. Just another question to ask of potential deals out there. That J 45 had a lot of tone and gorgeous tonewoods. The seller was apologetic and immediately refunded my money. He had the neck fixed and I bet someone is enjoying that "dry" Gibson tone.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Understanding that for a "public display" is certainly key BUT once it's passed from the manufacturer's hands they have ZERO control over it. ESPECIALLY when it's not used simply as a "display item" (not to be touched or used). That's just "Real Life 101".
Absolutely, Martin has no role in, nor responsibility for, the condition of this guitar. Any poor treatment by the owner, should make it obvious to anyone that the owner has performed poorly, not the maker of the instrument.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-27-2019, 08:32 PM

It's nothing to do with "responsibility".

It's a matter of image, of how Martin wants to be perceived.

If they're OK with being represented by a neglected, broken product, then hey. Their call.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion