The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2019, 08:28 AM

Default Nice of Martin, but what a shame

I often fly out of Harrisburg International Airport in Central Pennsylvania. They have a Pennsylvania shop selling all manner of local items...clothing, food products, books, souvenirs.

For years they’ve had a very nice Martin guitar on display noting it a non sale item donated by CF Martin. Not sure of the model-it appears to be an OM or OOO, 12 fret with slothead, no pickguard and looks to be rosewood.

Noticed this morning a healthy crack in the top. Not along the seam but running from the bridge to the binding. Not surprising given that the instrument has been on display for 10 or 15 years in an airport gift shop

Nice that Martin would donate it as an example of Pennsylvania manufacturing but a shame that a nice guitar like that is developing some serious serious issues.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:50 AM

It couldn't hurt contacting Martin and tell them what you saw. A letter would probably be best. They may want to donate another guitar temporarily while the original is being repaired.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:51 AM
Guest 728

Maybe the crack is why they donated it?
Old 03-26-2019, 08:58 AM

I'll take it and get it fixed. Then I'll display it in my guitar room.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-26-2019, 09:24 AM
Guest 33123

I'm sure they received a Martin Care and Feeding guide when they got the guitar and the humidity maintenance instructions were forgotten over time or completely ignored in the first place. It's not up to Martin to maintain it.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I'm sure they received a Martin Care and Feeding guide when they got the guitar and the humidity maintenance instructions were forgotten over time or completely ignored in the first place. It's not up to Martin to maintain it.
This guitar has been sitting in a high shelf in a gift shop for years. I would have no expectation that anyone in the shop would read nor adhere to any Care and Feeding guide. Not suggesting that Martin should maintain it, merely that it’s a shame to see a fine quality instrument develop issues.

Hooray for Martin for being proud of their Pennsylvania heritage...as am I!
Old 03-26-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtopGT View Post
It couldn't hurt contacting Martin and tell them what you saw. A letter would probably be best. They may want to donate another guitar temporarily while the original is being repaired.
This is a very good idea. I’ll let them know!
Old 03-26-2019, 10:12 AM

There is a cheap acoustic hanging on the wall
in a local pub. Hanging right over the pellet stove
I havnt noticed any changes in the top in the 3-4 years
ive been playing there. amazing actually...as i would
expect it to be in peices by now.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:18 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
This guitar has been sitting in a high shelf in a gift shop for years. I would have no expectation that anyone in the shop would read nor adhere to any Care and Feeding guide. Not suggesting that Martin should maintain it, merely that it’s a shame to see a fine quality instrument develop issues.
What I'm saying is that as long as no one is maintaining the humidity in there any solid wood Martin they have on display will have issues.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
It's not up to Martin to maintain it.
I agree, but a cracked guitar (no doubt due to neglect), built by the local maker of one of the world's finest guitars, is still bad optics.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:48 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtopGT View Post
I agree, but a cracked guitar (no doubt due to neglect), built by the local maker of one of the world's finest guitars, is still bad optics.
That's for sure.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:10 AM

I noticed the same at the Lehigh Valley Int. airport. Their display guitar is cracked. They also have guitars displayed at the pizza place across from the factory that have major humidity issues, so I'm thinking they don't mind, but they should....
Breedlove D20 SM
Recording King RP2-626
Ibanez AV4CE
Gretsch Tenor Uke
Martin C1K Uke
Old 03-26-2019, 12:08 PM

Maybe they should swap them out for some HPL models with artwork on the top. And a stratobond neck!
Old 03-26-2019, 12:19 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Maybe they should swap them out for some HPL models with artwork on the top. And a stratobond neck!
That's pretty much what I was thinking. No point displaying solid wood guitars in a neglectful environment. It just looks bad on Martin even though it's not 100% their fault IMHO.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
That's pretty much what I was thinking. No point displaying solid wood guitars in a neglectful environment. It just looks bad on Martin even though it's not 100% their fault IMHO.
I disagree. It doesn't look bad on Martin. It looks bad on the shop owner and the airport. You can't hold Martin responsible (for a non-manufacturer defect condition) once their product leaves the shop...and nobody reasonably would.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion