The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2019, 08:45 AM

I went to a vintage Martin seminar given by Jim Bagget at Mass Street Music in Lawrence, Kansas a few years ago. Jim is a Martin expert and has had a lot of input into Collings designs. He also has a fantastic collection of vintage Martin guitars dating back to pre-war. Amazingly, he allowed all who came to play any of his Martins he had there. Very brave thing to do. I played most of them and for some reason in the middle of all these old Martins there was a new D-18. I picked it up, strummed a few chords and fell in love. All the other guitars in the room faded quickly once I played the new D-18. Two years ago I managed to go back to Mass Street and find a 2016 D-18 of the same quality and tone and took it home with me. It was meant to be for me. It can be for you, too.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 03-26-2019, 10:30 AM

D18's are great guitars....and great guitarists play them.

Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 03-26-2019, 12:08 PM

Ok. Lots of suggestions. Thanks all for your input, a lot to take in! So here's where i'm at. I have ordered a D-18e with the LR Baggs. It should be here in a few days. I had a 717e on pre-order and had to cancel that, so i'm waiting on those funds to return before I seal the deal.

I thought long and hard about getting the D-18 I played and I know it's a gamble to buy without a test drive. I've both won and come up short doing so in the past. I envision (dream) of someday trying my hand at an open mic and wanted the plug and play option already installed.

I thought a lot about an adi topped model, but decided the sitka mahogany sound is what I want.

I am super pumped. I really loved the look of the 717e but honestly I haven't heard one live yet, much less played one. I concluded it just wasn't gonna make me forget the sound of the D-18. The looks of the 717e brought me around to considering a dread so maybe someday if I expand my collection I'll revisit it.

In the meantime, I have questions. I was offered a set up (added $40) which I declined. I've owned several Taylors and a Martin OM-21, and never felt they needed anything else in terms of playability, except for tweaking the truss rod at some point. Is that all a set up is about? Does it even make sense to "set up" a guitar before you've even played it? Don't they already come that way generally speaking? If the seller inspects for playability before shipping, isn't that the same thing?

As the D-18 ships with light strings, are mediums ok on it? I've heard conflicting info on this.

Thanks again for all the input.

Last edited by FOG01; 03-26-2019 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Grammer...
Old 03-26-2019, 12:55 PM

First of all congratulations on your soon to be NGD!
You can use Mediums on your D18.
Play it with the lights for a while, see what you think.
As far as a set up goes, you are wise to play it first and I would recommend you play it for at least a week.
It may not need anything drastic, even nothing at all.
If it does, you can decide based on your own personal preference.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 03-26-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG01 View Post
As the D-18 ships with light strings, are mediums ok on it? I've heard conflicting info on this.
First I’ve never heard of a Martin D coming with lights. The Martin website says mediums but it’s been wrong before. I play mediums on all mine, it’s the way to go AFAIC.

Anyway, congrats on your decision. I can’t imagine that you will be disappointed.

Last edited by IndyHD28; 03-26-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG01 View Post
Ok. Lots of suggestions. Thanks all for your input, a lot to take in! So here's where i'm at. I have ordered a D-18e with the LR Baggs. It should be here in a few days. I had a 717e on pre-order and had to cancel that, so i'm waiting on those funds to return before I seal the deal.

I thought long and hard about getting the D-18 I played and I know it's a gamble to buy without a test drive. I've both won and come up short doing so in the past. I envision (dream) of someday trying my hand at an open mic and wanted the plug and play option already installed.

I thought a lot about an adi topped model, but decided the sitka mahogany sound is what I want.

I am super pumped. I really loved the look of the 717e but honestly I haven't heard one live yet, much less played one. I concluded it just wasn't gonna make me forget the sound of the D-18. The looks of the 717e brought me around to considering a dread so maybe someday if I expand my collection I'll revisit it.

In the meantime, I have questions. I was offered a set up (added $40) which I declined. I've owned several Taylors and a Martin OM-21, and never felt they needed anything else in terms of playability, except for tweaking the truss rod at some point. Is that all a set up is about? Does it even make sense to "set up" a guitar before you've even played it? Don't they already come that way generally speaking? If the seller inspects for playability before shipping, isn't that the same thing?

Thanks again for all the input.
Congratulations on ordering a D18. I happened to be in a couple music stores today and did some back to back to back playing. The Taylor 717 was there and my first time playing it, I've played the 517. So I played the 717 against a Martin D28 and D35, the 717 held its own, different for sure but I liked it fine. Much better then a 517 that I played about one week ago.

There was a D18 so I played that and naturally it was WAY different sounding them any of the others and especially the Taylor 717. Good thing you changed your order from 717 to D18 after playing the Martin and falling in love with the sound. The D18 has a very very different sound then the 717. But that 717 pleasantly suprised me and anyone in the market for a big bodied rosewood guitar should put it on their list to play.

Last edited by DownUpDave; 03-26-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgtr View Post

Agree with this 100%. She really knows how to play that thing!
Old 03-26-2019, 06:24 PM

I played my D-18 for a month before I got the free setup that came with my purchase. I didn't think it could play any better but after the setup, Wow! It plays much better now. I would recommend the setup. Forty bucks is a good price and well worth it.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 03-26-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
First I’ve never heard of a Martin D coming with lights. The Martin website says mediums but it’s been wrong before. I play mediums on all mine, it’s the way to go AFAIC.

Anyway, congrats on your decision. I can’t imagine that you will be disappointed.

Appreciate it! I was surprised to see lights on the list of features. So I watched a GC video where the guy said it was done to reduce tension on the forward shifted bracing. Then I called Martin and the rep said he didn't think they shipped with lights but mediums were fine. He said if it
comes with lights it's for playability, not structural issues.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanleyJ View Post
I played my D-18 for a month before I got the free setup that came with my purchase. I didn't think it could play any better but after the setup, Wow! It plays much better now. I would recommend the setup. Forty bucks is a good price and well worth it.
I think it’s worth waiting until you play it a bit, get a feel for it, and choose your favorite strings. This can take me months while I figure out a new guitar.

I like a little higher action than some. Not bluegrass high, but higher than many bare-finger pickers. The point is, the ideal measurements at the nut and saddle differ for everybody and their various playing styles.

When I get a set-up, I take along a guitar that is set up just the way I like for reference. My tech has me play the new one, then he plays, we talk, then he measures one against the other, makes any adjustments while I wait, then he plays, I play, and we talk again. If need be, he repeats parts of the process. He makes it very personal. He’s proud of his work. I’m completely satisfied.

I would never have mine set up at a distance. Find someone you trust nearby.

opencee

Old 03-26-2019, 09:07 PM

Great news. I think going with the standard Sitka-topped model is a wise choice since you raved about the warm tone.

Excited to hear about the D-18 when you get it!

Last edited by ataylor; 03-26-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgtr View Post

My gosh, could a guitar sound any better?

I just imagine that guitar, on a front porch, somewhere in country USA being played. The guy or gal has no money to speak of but the sun is setting and they are playing this guitar and they realize that they have something special and they are the richest person on earth.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:44 PM

I bought one from MFG 4 years ago, sight un seen. First strum........my whole body quivered....and to top it off it was damaged in shipping....still sounded like angels coming out of the sound hole. Came with mediums. I switched to my Elixir PM lights. OMG....heaven.

You will love it. I have played numerous high end guitars and I am letting you know......you will love it.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:43 PM

Wow. Just. Wow. Acoustic goodness in all it's glory.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:50 PM

Huge shout out to the LR Baggs Anthem in this beast as well. Wow.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion