The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I like Martin moulded cases but like most molded cases: Beware The Ring Of Death!
Ok, what's the ring of death?
Old 03-26-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
Ok, what's the ring of death?
The metal lip/edge around the lid and the latches (or better yet, TEETH). These cases are notorious for what we call "Case Bite." The lids don't open far enough and don't stay open very well, so the lid can slam shut without warning and ding your guitar, even while putting it away.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:40 AM

Got it! I mentioned something like that in Post #23, my old Taylor case did that, but wasn't sure you all called it the ring of death. Makes sense. I am VERY careful about placing and taking the guitar out of the case, as soon as it's halfway out, one bump and Ka-pow! I have to hold my arm in the way for just such an event. The case lid is almost like a shark ready to chomp and eat some spruce wood!! Maybe i'll cut that strap too so it opens flat.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
Fortunately for me my Martin is either in my house or at church, never anywhere else. No theft problems.
My Father-in-law used to play the organ at a church and had some of his equipment stolen. Unfortunately, it is hard to trust people in any location these days, including a church.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
My Father-in-law used to play the organ at a church and had some of his equipment stolen. Unfortunately, it is hard to trust people in any location these days, including a church.
My guitars are never out of my sight. Just how I am. I'm sure the church crowd used to think I was a little odd...
Old 03-26-2019, 12:12 PM

Stiff is how I would describe mine. The lining strikes me as unforgiving in terms of shock if the case is dropped.
I have a black one from the late 80's. I don't think it came with a lid strap, seems like it has always opened up flat. I even have one of those space age Climatecase covers for it!
Old 03-26-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
My guitars are never out of my sight. Just how I am. I'm sure the church crowd used to think I was a little odd...

Same here, never out of sight. Plus its a small local independent bible church, everybody knows everybody, like family.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Some Martin guitar owners consider having the Martin name on the cases to be big "STEAL ME" signs. So not everyone is a fan of that....

whm
Years ago when I bought my HD28 it came standard with the molded case. I did not like it at all- the metal on the edges and the big "Steal Me" CF Martin designed into the case. I asked the store owner for a decent used case instead. The used case protected the 28, a better Canadian made hardshell, and was very generic looking. It could have been any brand of guitar housed in that case.

More recently, I was able to purchase the Martin Geib style top of the line case. I got a second. It had a bubble in the tolex which took me 5 minutes to correct. Saved $200.00

Now this is a very heavy case, very protective and has the Martin medallion. A TKL product. But more conservative. No steal me.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Like others here, I must admit I was initially put off by the case that came with my 2011 HD-35. What, is Martin starting to cheap out? Particularly compared to the case that came with my 1999 Taylor 714ce, which was heavy enough to withstand a hit by an RPG,

But the Martin case has grown on me over the years, particularly in that it is light and relatively unobtrusive. Given the type of use it gets, ie, it is always carried only by me to and from gigs, I actually now prefer it to the case I got with my 1988 HD-28 and the Taylor case. I don't presently need anything more robust, so it suits my needs perfectly.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Better safe than sorry.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I heard about a local guy who would put his guitar into its case and lock it while he went to the bathroom . . . . at band rehearsal when there was no one else there!

Yeah, they thought him a little odd.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:10 PM

Locking guitar cases is pointless - anyone who wants to steal the instrument is going to grab the case by the handle, take off with it and bust the lock later at their leisure.

But putting the guitar away and locking the case does keep one's friends, acquaintances and bandmates from playing and possibly boogering up your guitar when you're not in the room. Maybe he just didn't trust your friends, Muso!

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion