The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-10-2018, 08:57 AM

Default Binding problems

Hey guys, I’ve got a 43 or 44 Gibson l-50, and it’s binding is seperating/ pulling out from the side of the guitar. I took it to a local repair shop and they said they wouldn’t suggest doing anything to it until there’s some give/movement in the area. I really don’t want it to get worse, and have to have a more extensive repair. Any thoughts?
Old 12-10-2018, 11:50 AM

That celluloid binding is well known for shrinking, getting brittle, discolouring, cracking, and all sorts. There is about nothing that can be done to revitalize it. If it can be pressed back into place, you can use CA (Krazy) glue to tack it back in place, but it won't stretch back into a curve. It was originally held in place with acetone, or an acetone based glue, and acetone will dissolve the binding. It can cost a lot to have binding replaced or repaired, and doing so is about guaranteed to damage the finish at least a little.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the insight. I’ll just keep doing what I’ve been doing, keeping it at a good humidity level and in the case when not being played.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops