The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-03-2018, 10:00 AM

Default Guild Savoy 150A

My "entry drug" into archtops is the Guild Savoy 150A. (Their Made in Korea line.) Now I'm saving for their Artist Award -- still about $5000 to go for that one!

I was fortunate enough to find this one in the GC "used" section. It was so unused it still had the paper under the floating bridge when I got it!

When I play out, I play in a small church mostly. Here's a picture I took last Christmas there:

Here I am playing it later.

I really love this guitar. It is a lot more versatile that I thought it would be. When I play in any kind of group, this is my go to guitar because it doesn't get lost in the mix. And the big surprise for me was how this sounds capo'd. It is almost like a harp or something when you get above the 5th fret. Totally unique sound. I really love it.

Currently playing it with the Mesa Rosette 300 amp. Pretty nice combination, all in all for what I do. (Tho the Mesa is crazy expensive, IMHO.)
Old 12-04-2018, 12:04 PM

Here's one of me playing my 1937 Gibson L-7 last weekend:
Old 12-04-2018, 02:56 PM

Default Comins 16" Concert

This is a classically elegant Comins arch top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Concert.jpg (25.6 KB, 179 views)
Old 12-04-2018, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

My 1941 Kalamazoo Oriole archtop. Plays a great. Came with a few cracks that were repaired but two of them have opened. I found a great little Lifton HSC that fits it well. I left it closed a little too long and the pick guard blistered. Replaced tuners from the same period. Fine guitar.

In Action... I can't imbed the YouTube into the post so here'e the link
love to play & sing. Still trying to figure out those swing chords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug7WbZrZmU0

bill

Last edited by willysunday; 12-04-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Default 1933 Gretsch Model 65

No longer own this guy

Last edited by whd28; 01-07-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:01 AM

I use my L-5 primarily for jazz gigs, both solo guitar gigs (see video below) and band gigs (see other video below)....

Old 12-07-2018, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I use my L-5 primarily for jazz gigs, both solo guitar gigs (see video below) and band gigs (see other video below)....
Just a little band gig........for POTUS!

I’m impressed, congrats!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-07-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Man...speechless. Awesome playing; love everything about both of those video clips...even the violinist comping four-to-the-bar on I've Got Rhythm!

Good stuff...no, great stuff! Thanks for posting!
Old 12-08-2018, 02:16 AM

My beautiful Stephen Holst K200 archtop...poorly played by me. Don't be fooled by my lousy playing...Steve makes awesome guitars.

Wave by Antonio Carlos Jobim

Darryl Noda (Livingston) - guitar
Shane Cantanho - piano
Ichiro Bakoshi - bass
Todd Soo-Hoo - drums

Last edited by Livingston; 12-08-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Hi,

Back in the '70s I acquired a beautiful Gibson L-3 which I was told was a 1915 model. It was in almost museum condition, but my first mortgage forced me to sell every thing I had in order to eat.

After that I pretty much forgot about them but probably because David Rawlings made me aware of them again, I decided i "needed" one in 2006.

I found a Harmony Monterrey on ebay, but it was about the same time I was waiting to go into hospital for a heart operation.
I contacted the seller and asked him if he'd reserve it for me until after my operation - assuming i survived. To my surprise he agreed and arranged to contact me a suitable time after my op to see if I was still alive still wanted it.

After that call, he also offered to bring it over to me - a journey of a couple of hundred miles! What a gent!

In 2007, I retired and decided to see if I could learn some jazz rhythm / western swing styles, and got an Eastman.

Then as my teacher, had a 1934 L5, I desired "the real thing" and got a '34 L-4.

They are compared here :

Old 12-09-2018, 03:01 PM

Me and my Ibanez 2471nt.
Bought it new in 78' and added the Johnny Smith pickup. Carved spruce top with laminate maple back and sides. Very solidly built with a great acoustic and incredible electric voice. I run D'Addario Chrome flatwounds, 12-52. Lovely to play, and solid as a rock. Pretty light too!

It's my main working(solo and band) and home playing guitar.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:17 PM

Sweet guitar...^^^^^

As I'm sure you're aware, Ibanez also made an electrified "Johnny Smith lawsuit" version of your guitar - two suspended mini-buckers, oversized pickguard with individual volume/tone and rotary 3-way PU selector - that sold for $475 w/HSC at the time. Saw/played it at the Brooklyn Sam Ash, should have grabbed it then - next one I saw was in the capable hands of George Benson at the Metropolitan Museum Guitar Summit (George, Gabor Szabo, Bucky Pizzarelli, and a just-out-of-retirement Les Paul), and it turned out to be the guitar that started his now 40+ year relationship with Ibanez...
Old 12-09-2018, 08:27 PM

Here a video someone shot from a gig last this weekend at Rudy's Jazz Room in Nashville (which BTW is a pretty cool venue - small and classy) where I was playing my Gibson L5. This tune, LET'S FALL IN LOVE, has some fairly involved chord changes. In the photo below the video you can see some of them...

Old 12-09-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
...This tune, LET'S FALL IN LOVE, has some fairly involved chord changes. In the photo below the video you can see some of them...

Just give me a nice old all-acoustic Emperor or Super 400, I could play that stuff all night; love that four-to-the-bar Big Band comping - shame most of the younger guys don't really know how to do it right...
Old 12-10-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Sweet guitar...^^^^^

As I'm sure you're aware, Ibanez also made an electrified "Johnny Smith lawsuit" version of your guitar - two suspended mini-buckers, oversized pickguard with individual volume/tone and rotary 3-way PU selector - that sold for $475 w/HSC at the time. Saw/played it at the Brooklyn Sam Ash, should have grabbed it then - next one I saw was in the capable hands of George Benson at the Metropolitan Museum Guitar Summit (George, Gabor Szabo, Bucky Pizzarelli, and a just-out-of-retirement Les Paul), and it turned out to be the guitar that started his now 40+ year relationship with Ibanez...

Thanks Steve. Mine was Ibanez's take on an L5 Premier, and like Gibson they were made without pickups, but could be added later. I was lucky to find a used Johnny Smith neck pickup in Seattle, and made a road trip from Vancouver to buy it.

Great guitar that works well for any kind of music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops