The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-23-2018, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Comparing three archtops.

... and partly because I've recently got myself another Eastman which I love.

A pressed top Harmony Monterey, a '34 Gibson L-4 and my 2007 Eastman AR805.

I'd be really inters ted in reading any comments corrections (on the guitars and the history rather than my inadequate playing that is).

Thanks,

Old 08-24-2018, 08:15 AM

Thanks for this great comparison of three unique archtops. The L-5 has such a great history to it, but I have to say the Eastman really shows the most warmth and depth. There’s almost nothing you couldn’t do on that guitar!
Old 08-24-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
Thanks for this great comparison of three unique archtops. The L-5 has such a great history to it, but I have to say the Eastman really shows the most warmth and depth. There’s almost nothing you couldn’t do on that guitar!
Silly,
I agree with Richard. The Eastman is awesome! Not that the others are bad. Thanks for the video. Very enjoyable as are your posts.
Terry
Old 08-24-2018, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing your guitars and stories...:-)

Archtops, like flat tops represent a fairly broad spectrum of instruments producing a diverse set of timbres. They excel at different things than flat tops do. Most posess superb string-to-string balance, some have the ability to cut and project and some maintain their tonal character in the upper registers.

They are typically, 16”, 17” or 18” (some will differ), either parallel braced or x-braced, f-holed or oval holed, use differing spruces, top carve and recurve release, differing maples (or other woods like mahogany as well), metal or wooden tailpieces and bridges all combine to produce a spectrum of results.

Acoustically, I like to play them with either 80/20 or Monel strings.

I don’t talk much about my archtops on this site because it is so flat top focused. I have two and enjoy them very much. In fact, I actually have 2 flat top instruments with carved backs which makes them operate a bit differently than an arched, ladder braced flat top.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:46 AM

Great video! Thanks for sharing the various tones of your lovely instruments.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Very enjoyable video, Andy! It's great to see you enjoying your guitars and fun to hear your voice again! I hope you are doing well!

- Glenn
Old 10-05-2018, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Hi Glenn, and everyone else who responded.

Thanks for the kind thought and the comments about these guitars.

Yes they are a different "animal" to our beloved flat-tops but they have still earned their place in te history of the acoustic guitar, and yes, like flat tops they kept getting bigger and bigger ti follow the perceived need for ever more volume.

Apart from the wonderful L-3 that I had in the '70s which had to go to pay the mortgage paynent, (and I still miss) I think that the 1" bodies are the optimum size for the sound.

Anyway, if you have been, thanks for watching the video.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops