The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-30-2014, 09:41 AM

Default Day 3

Quote:
The Reverend Gary Davis used the same technique when playing many of his single note runs.
It really is amazing how much guitarists can accomplish with the right hand thumb/index alternation.

The piece I'm working on for this challenge (Mañha de Carnaval) is in [AB][AB]form. The reiteration of each section brings an ever increasing range of variation in the rhythms and melodic embellishments presented. (Whew, that's a mouthful). In running the tune yesterday I was dissatisfied with a -7 descent in the first B section so spent some time 'writing" a new part, and then much more time burning it in at a very deliberate speed. All that said I've spent an hour this morning practicing the change and running the whole piece at MM eighth note = 144. At this tempo both the melody and underlying rate of harmonic change are coming together. I'll probably stick to this tempo for a couple of days to get really secure with it.
One last thought for the day. Just as Frank Lloyd Wright believed that in architecture, "less is more" so I believe that in practicing a musical instrument, "slower is quicker'. I always master new techniques and overcome problems quicker by practising as slowly as possible in the earliest stages and then gradually upping the tempo. For me this is also a great way to avoid practicing mistakes.
Anyway, Bon Voyage!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I don't play a lot of barre chords anymore but what works for me is to rotate the index finger a bit so that I'm barring more with the left edge of the finger. Hope that makes sense. I also tuck my elbow in a bit toward my side.

It does, and I'm trying. I think it's just going to take a lot of practice. They don't sound good against the open chords that I'm playing, so it's causing a bit of frustration.

On the other hand, I love the lightbulb moments. I pulled out my Beatles chord book and found Norwegian Wood. Slapped on the capo and off I went. The book has you going from D to Cadd9 (leaving the e string open) to G/B. I rolled through it a few times slowly, and then realized that I just leave my ring finger planted and move my index/middle to form the chords. Then got to a Dm-Em7-A progression, and realized the same thing. I've noticed that I'm getting better in thinking about finger placement. Makes things much easier (and smoother) than picking up and changing all of them.

It's the little things.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:28 AM

It doesn't count as practice but the girlfriend and I went to watch an open mic night last night. What a great time! All the performers were very supportive of each other and seemed to be regulars. Lot of songs with 'guest performers' all night long. My girlfriend said I need to get up there and I pointed out that she's a far better singer than I. That got her thinking...

Tonight I'm going to weld up an exhaust header for a mid-engine car I'm building but you can bet I'll get a couple hours of guitar practice in.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Guest 33123

BTW thanks for posting so far guys. It's been great to read about your experiences. Keep up the great work!
Old 01-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Jumped into transcribing Wes' solo on Yesterdays a few "yesterdays ago - 1:15 down about two more to go.

Decided that this isnt the best time for the Gary Burton improv class. Too many other personal objectives I'd have to put on the back burner to make it work.

Plan for tonight is to keep going on the transcription and practice my Too Late arrangement a bit more
Old 01-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Trevor... always a good idea to use that metronome. I use one daily... wouldn’t practice without it.

Scotch... I’m looking forward to that video

Doug-J... sounds like you can add more to that schedule. Did you ever think of doing a ‘2nd set’ like a gym workout? Sometimes I’ll re-visit songs or licks that I started out with earlier in the day.

Ax... don’t know if you find this helpful but I’ve been using an Audio-Technia AT2020 USB for recording. I plug it into my iPad and record into Garage Band.

Staredge... How’s the action and what gauge strings are you using? That could make all the difference in mastering those barre chords.

RedJoker... you can learn a LOT by watching an open mike. Watch what works and what doesn’t and try to figure out why.

Keep up the good work gang!

Old 01-30-2014, 03:18 PM

I was feeling a bit worried following my first classical lesson yesterday because I'm now "reduced" to practicing ascending slurs (AKA hammer ons) and arpeggios (where my thumb currently gets mixed up as to which string it is supposed to be resting on …) as you can imagine not exactly prime recording material even supposing my thumb finally gets its kinks worked out. So being an inveterate rule-follower I emailed the teacher to ask if working on stuff NOT consisting of finger twisting exercises played with less than perfect technique would negate the effects of the practice material. Happy news - he said "go for it!" So I may yet eventually have something to post… In the meantime I get to mess around with Beatles and Eric Satie.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:42 PM

Day 3. Practice as planned, and making progress. "Leaving Liverpool" segued into "John Peel"and a couple of other things occasionally.

Someone mentioned thumb/index picking of single line melodies. The past year or so I have found this to be the single most important factor in whatever progress I'm making, for things like ragtime and elecric-style leads. The thumb-fingerbrush style I'm currently working on is, in fact. a close relative of this.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post

Staredge... How’s the action and what gauge strings are you using? That could make all the difference in mastering those barre chords.

Doesn't matter. I do it on both electric and acoustic. I think it's just going to take lots of practice.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:50 PM

Practiced a little tonight but its pretty cold in my basement. Worked on one minute chord changes, scales and trying to piece together the phrases of "Colder Weather". Maybe I'll do a little more this evening by the fire.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:15 PM

Day 3 – I’ve got to say this about recording – it’s a colossal pain in the arse, but it sure helps me practice more carefully. It took multiple takes to get the simplest thing down, because I was made painfully aware of all my mistakes. Some of it I can contribute to red light paralysis, but the rest of it is just plain sloppiness. Beyond just forgetting whole sections and having to start over, there are tempo errors and missed notes all over the place. Man, I stink. I’ve been powering thru new tunes at high speed, but I’ve got to stop, go back and polish. Forget the fancy stuff; I’ve got some serious technique work to do.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 PM

I have been workin on Surfin with Alien (Joe Satriani) for acoustic, got it down picking now.

My goal...14 days...is Surfin with the Alien fingerstyle, started last night. And not make it sound as horrid as it could sound with fingerstyle.

Will report back. Not easy. But its a challenge!
Old 01-30-2014, 09:37 PM

Just discovered this thread, I reckon I'll take a crack at it. So, Sweet Jivin' Mama in 2 weeks.

Erik
Old 01-30-2014, 10:08 PM

I'm plugging away. At least I can now dependably remember the order of all the variations in Skip to my Lou. I find a speed limitation on the part where I have to play two quick notes both with my right ring finger--it's kind of slow to double up. (I am using thumb plus 3.)
Old 01-31-2014, 03:16 AM

I have chosen Got the Blues Can't be satisfied which I got from Toby Walker fairly recently.
I have the basic tune down pretty much and the variations ok. I want to add a section with some of the extra variations and then end with a bluegrass run.
the challenge for me here is to put the whole lot together into one piece and also top get used to doing the recording part.
I have tried a bit of recording and it is sounding ok but the parts are disjointed. I just need to pull it together and get manage to get through from beginning to end.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write