The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Default Recommendations for Near Field Monitors?

I'm looking for a pair of near field monitors. This will be pretty much exclusively for acoustic guitar recordings, sometimes with vocals. This would be for a home setup. I don't really do much with the raw recordings, mainly just want a reasonably balanced, EQ'd, and pleasant stereo mix. I don't want, and don't think I need anything too big (5-6" woofer?). Headphones don't work well for me (having hearing aids is the issue).

I have a single Event TR5 monitor, and I'd be happy finding another one (or pair) of them, but I keep missing out on eBay.

I picked up a pair of Alesis M1 Active MkII. Using the single Event TR5 I did a comparison, and I'm not happy with the Alesis monitors; they will probably be going back. Anybody using Equator D5's?

Ideally I'd like to get something used $300 or less.

Any ideas or leads?

Thanks,
Chuck

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Monitors are certainly a good Idea. I use both Headphones for when the family is downstairs and for occasionally checking some little detail. Monitors for mixing when not disturbing the family and always for final checking for overall mix.

Interestingly I do wear hearing aids also, these have two programs one for open air and one for headphones.

Suggestion wise here is a used TR5 for $80 at some Guitar Center Store you could call and see if they still have it and could ship it
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...28-i3562910.gc

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-09-2014, 09:54 AM

I'd shop around used first, but for new @ $300/pair, JBL LSR305, KRK Rokit 5, Presonus Eris 5. As you found out, not every monitor works for everyone (and how your room is acoustically treated makes a difference, too).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 PM

I just down-sized my Event 20/20s for a pair of Presonus Eris E5 monitors.

I think they sound VERY similar to Rockit 5s, they were considerably less and have the automatic 2 year warranty from Sweetwater. I'm quite happy with them.

There's a real world example photo of them on my desk here:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageRecording1.html
Old 01-09-2014, 09:32 PM

I picked up the JBL LSR305 and I like them very much. I found this link to be very handy for comparisons of many monitors and I selected the JBL LSR305 based upon this. I too thought of the Equators D5( good reviews) but I couldn't find any soundfiles for those and they we almost twice as expensive as the JBL's.

https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-p...tudio-monitors

Last edited by mutantrock; 01-11-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

It'a a little over your budget, but check out the Equator D5's. I think they're $379.00 a pair. Lots of reviews online.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I've been checking out reviews and posts for various monitors.

At this point I'm very interested in the Equator D5's. They are going for $300+ on eBay, so I'm not sure I want used if I have to pay that price. New would probably be the best value for me; getting the warranty and the 60 day return option has some worth.

I'm also still looking for a used Event TR5 (sent Guitar Center an email to get some info on their used one). Also interested in the Event ASP6 or Event TR6 if a good used set appears.

Last edited by ChuckS; 01-11-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

I have Rokit 6s. Generally I like them, though I tend to use my headphones more often.

Tofd
Old 01-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. As is usual for me, once I get something in mind it's hard to change course. Equator D5's incoming; hope they are what I'm expecting.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Good choice on the Equators - that's what I'm currently using as my home studio monitors and I think they're great!

My "day job" is as a recording engineer so I've mixed on a bunch of great monitors and the Equators can definitely hold their own; I have no trouble mixing on them.

-Mike
Old 01-17-2014, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

I think you'll find the Equators to your liking. Mine seemed to really open up after about 10 or 12 hours of use. Nice out of the box, but even better after a little breaking in.

Let us know what you think.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:53 AM

Did you order your D5s direct? They are $389 on the website now with free shipping. Did you find them cheaper? I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of these as well.
kwh
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. As is usual for me, once I get something in mind it's hard to change course. Equator D5's incoming; hope they are what I'm expecting.
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 01-17-2014, 09:57 AM

Try the Emotiva's AirMotiv4 they sound super nice and have a 5yr return policy. I think you can catch them on sell for $325?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallhadden View Post
Did you order your D5s direct? They are $389 on the website now with free shipping. Did you find them cheaper? I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of these as well.
kwh
I ended up ordering new direct from Equator. I got the pair with the accessory package.

I was considering used, and there were a few on eBay, but they were selling $300+ so I thought it wasn't worth the risk.

Last edited by ChuckS; 01-22-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStotes View Post
I think you'll find the Equators to your liking. Mine seemed to really open up after about 10 or 12 hours of use. Nice out of the box, but even better after a little breaking in.

Let us know what you think.
I received the Equator D5's and got a bit of time with them the last couple evenings. I played them in for several hours, so hopefully what I'm hearing now is a reasonable representation of their performance. This is just my initial reaction; so far I've listened to acoustic material (solo guitar, acoustic groups, etc) from a number of artists and listened to a bit of solo acoustic guitar I recently recorded. Also, I don't have that much experience in home recording or with various gear, so take what I say with that in mind.

I really liked the imaging. I found the best listening distance for me (so far) seems very close. I tried the triangular placement (my head and each monitor at each corner of the triangle) 3' between monitors and me, and with 4' between monitors and me. Where I found the best imaging (width, depth, placement of vocal/instruments) was with 32" between the monitors, and 24" from left ear to left monitor and 24" from right ear to right monitor. At this placement, and with my eyes closed, it seemed like I could tell where all the sources were, and for solo guitars that were recorded with multiple mics I seemed to be able to readily hear how the multiple tracks were panned into the stereo field. It just seemed like I was in the midst of the music; really amazing.

With my own recordings, the monitors were 'brutally honest'. I could hear the detail of the instrument, as well as the noise generated from 'sloppy' playing. This detail should be helpful in getting my mics set up better and getting me to play the best I can. I noticed that much of this detail (good and bad) was not nearly as noticeable when I listened on other systems (earbuds, car, home hi-fi).

As far as using the monitors for general listening, I have mixed reactions. I realize these are designed for mixing, and that is the main reason I got them. So, any negatives here are not a big deal; just observations. I really liked the field/imaging when listening to groups of vocals/instruments. I noticed that the vocal on one recording that I am pretty familiar with seemed a bit 'off' from what I hear on my 'hi-fi' speakers. In general, for the stuff I tend to listen to (acoustic guitar, solo and in acoustic groups) I think these monitors will be very enjoyable.

So, overall I am really impressed and pleased with the D5's. Should be a great fit for my home setup and should help me progress in this hobby of mine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD