The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-25-2003, 07:41 PM

Default Scales

You think someone can give me the basics of scales and what are some scales to learn. Bands like Phish, I love, but their jams are so hard to play and I think that a lot of it is just the fact of experimenting with scales.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:10 PM

scales

you can apply that top scale all over the fret board that is the first scale i learnt,and is the easiest it is known as 6\2 scale
Old 06-25-2003, 08:57 PM

Lightbulb Very good! Always start from a point of understanding....

fish are indeed the ones with scales....

bonobos are the fuzzy ones...

a pumpkin sticker for you...

howzaboutzinz the big modal jam thingee involving alternating between the IV and V chords??? sort of like in Steely Dan's Reelin' in the Years (key of D but during the soloing they pretty much just bop back and forth from G to A....D Major scale against the G chord is called G Lydian and against the A chord it's called A Mixolydian).....what happens in that Steely Dan tune when the actual guitar solo (the long one) starts? Well, he does SIMPLE (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!S*I*M*P*L*E!!!!!!!!!!) half-step bends that emphasize two of the defining notes of G Lydian - the note F# and the note C#...sprinkle in some nasty Amin pentatonic licks to contrast the majorish sound of the Lydian and Mixolydian and you are in business.....

many fish have been reeled-in in mapleville since that tune came out all those years ago....

those simple little opening bends still sound good......

I think you've got mercury poisoning from all those fish, Daddy....

I do not and would you please open the window?????!?!?!?!?! It's 78.543654 degrees in here and that's way too warm for sleeping...

I can't get out of Level 4
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 06-25-2003, 09:00 PM

**** then what level am I stuck in?
Old 06-25-2003, 09:03 PM

Smile it's those factories in Ohio I tell ya...

that's a j joke....

j,

I can't find the tilda...

there...~j~

you're always coming on when I'm going off!?!

edit
edit
edit

no, no, no...Level 4 of Bugdom...
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 06-27-2003, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Very good! Always start from a point of understanding....

Quote:
Originally posted by mapletrees
.....what happens in that Steely Dan tune when the actual guitar solo (the long one) starts?
a Little Miss Tree has informed me that "the long one" is misleading...

I'm talking about the 'regular' solo that starts after a couple verses...not all the intro soloing...not all the outro soloing...

anyways, against the G chord...the soloing starts with

xxxxx 14 bent to xxxxx 15 (F# bent to G)

you'll also find right at the beginning of the solo

xxxxx9 bent to xxxxx 10 (C# bent to D)

heck, you'll even find

xxxxx7 bent to xxxxx9 (B to C#)

D major scale = D E F# G A B C# D and when played from G to G it is called G Lydian...

G A B C# D E F# G

the 'defining' notes of that scale are B, C#, F# (ask if you don't know what I mean....

the guitarist does some simple little bends to capture all those notes....

modes got a bum rap when metal turned into hair-speed-image-technique-MTV metal...

all good players know how to target notes and say a lot with a little....EVEN if they don't know the 'correct' theoretical terms for what they are playing

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell