The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlander View Post
Thanks for the info, from what i managed to read, the small diaphragm mics are better for the acoustics and the large are more for vocals. But i just dont have enough knowledge to decide between a condenser and a dynamic for vocals. Maybe a good dynamic could give me a nice warm tone while getting less bleed from the guitar comparing to a condenser?

About the interface, its seems like it "jumpes" from 2 mic inputs ones to 6+ inputs, and nothing in between. and it also effects the price..
It's a myth that dynamics pick up less bleed than condensers as a class. Mic sensitivity + preamp gain = system sensitivity, so if you turn up the gain on the dynamic to match the signal level of the condenser the bleed will be the same. Bleed is affected by polar pattern, not transducer type.

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...er-microphone/

If you seriously want to record vocals and guitar at the same time with minimum bleed between them you'll need a pair of bidirectional mics. The bidirectional (figure 8) pattern has the deepest null or minimum sensitivity. By aiming the null of the vocal mic at the guitar and the null of the guitar mic at the vocal you can achieve pretty remarkable separation. If you choose another type of directional mic, you will have less effective separation, but you can still maximize it by aiming the null first then adjusting for picking up the source.

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...figure-8-mics/

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

Last edited by Fran Guidry; 05-22-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:57 PM

...which reminds me I forgot to mention the CAD M179. It's another inexpensive-but-good mic which gets recommended a lot. The really interesting thing about it is the variable pattern. It can do omni, cardioid, hypercardioid and figure eight.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
My own feeling is if you can't get a very good sounding, one-microphone, mono recording of either your voice or your guitar in your room then you have no prayer of recording four channels at once. Adding up a bunch of simultaneous microphones will sound better than a single mic if your knowledge and your room are sufficient but will sound much, much worse than a single mic if one or both of those elements are missing.

Just my two cents worth. But do decide before spending any significant money whether you're going to bother investing in substantial room-acoustic improvements and investing a couple hundred hours learning how to record. If not, more gear is just more money wasted IMHO.
Brent,

You're right, the space is very important. As I mentioned in another thread, I do two mic (voice and guitar) recording here all the time.

Go here: http://web.mac.com/tyreeford/Site/Ty...roduction.html

Listen to Neil Harpe, Chris Bailey, and J. P. Reali (he got a Wammie nomination for the CD for the recording). All recored this way.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 05-23-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Brent,

You're right, the space is very important. As I mentioned in another thread, I do two mic (voice and guitar) recording here all the time.

Go here: http://web.mac.com/tyreeford/Site/Ty...roduction.html

Listen to Neil Harpe, Chris Bailey, and J. P. Reali (he got a Wammie nomination for the CD for the recording). All recored this way.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Sounds great! sounds like what i'm looking for. Do you have a more detailed gear recommendation?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD