The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-22-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi TG…
There is a setting in Audio Hijack which will look for dead spaces and automatically split and start a new track.

On the fly is as simple as listening while you rip them to the computer and hitting the ''Split'' button (top right). It merely starts a new file and files the previous one into the location you told it to...it names consecutive tracks differently so you can tell them apart.

If you have the deck wired to record into the computer you are good to go. You will want a program like GarageBand to act as the interface to play it into (and it needs to be playing on the computer speakers as well). Audio Hijack monitors the audio being played by the computer.

You just ''hijack'' the program that is acting as the player, and then turn it loose.

Of course you could record the tracks directly into GarageBand, or Audacity, CubaseLE etc. You'd have to split them manually and then export them to iTunes...not a big deal either way (Hijack or a Recording program).

Hope this isn't too confusing. I use Hijack Pro and have been using this program for many years because it gives me more control over recording things playing on my browser or in programs than any other (even my sophisticated recording programs).

I like to record old time radio shows for time-shifted listening...and have done many a cassette to computer rip.
Hi Larry. Do you know of alternatives to this approach using a PC as opposed to a Mac?
I have loads of recordings on tape I would like to digitize and have an Zoom H2 recorder also, but am a bit lost with all this tech stuff.

Thanks.

Jack
Old 01-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for your detailed help. I am going to try several of the options suggested here and see which pans out the best for my purposes. I may repost with questions later, especially with regards to sweetening and EQ'ing of 20 year old cassette material.

Jack, I'd suggest beginning a new thread with your specific PC-related question rather than hijack the thread.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Musical minimalist

just noticed there were some questions directed at me here.

I use a Sony dual well CD recorder......it's about 5 years old or so. Deck A is 5 disc changer for playback (not cartridge - 5 separate drawers) and Deck B is the recorder (also playback) You can set it to record from one side to the other, or use it for a digital or analog outside source.

When I record into my Tascam DP-01FX I simply connect the RCA outputs from the Tascam to the Sony, set the levels and push record.

To "index" specific tracks from a cassette, all you would have to do would be to stop the recording between each track if you so chose to do that.
I've recorded a few CD's from cassette and did it without any indexing....I figure if I took the time to record it in the first place, I probably like most of the material anyway!!

Old 01-26-2011, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgyrl View Post

Jack, I'd suggest beginning a new thread with your specific PC-related question rather than hijack the thread.
Maybe you should have entitled the thread "What is the best way to digitize a cassette tape on a Mac"

I was interested in this thread title too, but I guess us mere PC users will have to make a "whats the second best way to digitize a cassette tape?" thread
Old 01-26-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgyrl View Post

Ouch.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:20 AM

Must have been an audio-hijack

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD