The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2019, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Default My experience but no recommendations

I did what you are doing, but started a little under two years ago. I have now bought and sold about 10 guitars. I learned a lot about what I liked and didn't like. Some of the guitars I sold where very good instruments - Taylor 514CE and Taylor Fall Limited. A Martin 000-18 and a 000RS1. Stellar guitars but just not what I wanted. The only thing I have learned is that I should play more types/styles before acquiring a new to me guitar. I have settled on a mahogany and a rosewood adirondack OM - Eastman E10OM-TC and E40OM. The size seems to fit me and the physical similarities help my progress. It is easy for me to switch between the guitars. It also doesn't hurt that they are exceptional sounding guitars with very easy to play necks. I also have a Rainsong OM for when I travel. Unfortunately that one is probably heading down the road as I don't find it overly comfortable. The neck is just a little too thick for me. A case of GAS getting the best of me. Play some. Play a bunch and then play some more. You will find what you like.

PS - I have discovered that having electronics with the guitar isn't that big of a deal. They can be added after the fact for about $100-$200 and they will function quite well. There are a lot of high quality choices.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:18 PM

I'd recommend the D3 Taylor listed right now on our very own AGF classified. I don't believe you'll find one for less if you can overlook the cosmetic issues. Judging from the photo of the bridge crack, I'd have someone inject some glue and clamp it, or just leave it. should be an easy and cheap fix. I don't know the seller and I have no reason to promote Taylor other than my own experience of having owned several myself.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:25 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Welcome to the forum!

A couple of things..

1. Buy an all solid wood guitar. If it doesn't say solid top and solid back and sides, it's not all solid wood. A guitar made of all solid wood will get better sounding as it ages, but buy it based on how it sounds now.

2. Solid wood guitars need to be humidified, research this. Soundhole humidifiers and a "soap dish" humidifier for the head stock area are a good combination.

3. A proper setup might need to be done, this involves setting the nut slot depth, neck relief and saddle height. All three have to be considered.

4. Maybe you should play the fender for a while longer, learn some skills and give yourself time to play a few guitars to see what you like.

Have fun.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-26-2019, 09:45 PM

Perhaps it's been said already but there are lots of mint or close to it used guitars out there and for your budget you could get a great guitar for $1000.00.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:35 PM

Hi Vernon_d,
I like Moustache’s input (#12 above).

I was in your position a bit over 2 months ago, same desire and price range. Researched, online and visiting shops. Compared various models and talked to different people. Realized I liked one model the most, Martin 000-15m. A couple different shops had it. Priced higher than I wanted to spend. Found two used ones within decent driving distance. I didn’t want to buy one without seeing it first.

But ended up buying a new one 6 weeks ago from local shop as owner gave good discount.

I’m really happy!! Glad I didn’t wait. (Realized I didn’t need or really care so much about cut-away or pick-up. The sound and feel was so much better on this guitar, to me.)

It’s subjective, best of luck!
Old 03-27-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon_d View Post
Hi all,

Just joined the forum and hoping to source some ideas! (Edit from OP: First, when I say "investment" below , I don't mean I'll get my money back... I mean more I'm spending decent money up front on something I'll enjoy playing/growing into over many years. Sorry for the confusion)

I'm relatively new to playing (self taught for two months and then started taking lessons a month ago), but I'm really enjoying the process of learning an instrument again and the peace I find with a guitar in my hand!

I'm currently playing a Fender FA-100 that I found on craigslist for $50, but I hope to fast outgrow what this guitar will offer me. My longer term goal is to develop a hybrid fingerstyle/strumming style of player and I'm starting to look into a first "investment" guitar that will provide me with room to grow into as I progress as a player over the next few years. Here's what I think I have narrowed in on after driving around to local guitar shops to play different guitars:

Budget: $1,000
Guitar Shape: Within the range of a grand concert or grand auditorium (or whatever the equivalent is, I'm trying to learn all the different sizes/how guitar makers label all of them).
Guitar features: I definitely want a cutaway and a guitar with electric pickup.
Guitar Tone: Still figuring this part out, but I tend to enjoy a more balanced sound when playing chords. I really like feeling like I can hear the mids blend well with the treble and bass.

A few of the guitars I've tried/liked so far:
Taylor 214ce (played the 114ce as well and felt the 114ce was way too bright relative to the 214)
Yamaha AC3R
Martin GPCRSG (this one was on sale)

Looking for feedback on the guitars listed above as well as other recommendations for what I should look at.

Thanks!
As you say, you’ve only played for a few months.
But for your desires, let me add the Alvarez Masterworks.
It’s all solid wood. Available as a folk shape, auditorium shape and a Dreadnought. They have a MAP of about $600, and they sound as good as any $1000 guitar.
I’d also steer you towards a Takamine.
The G Series is much maligned, but they are on the edge of being stellar.
Also the Pro Series can be had at the top of your budget, and they excel at plugged in work or unplugged work.
All the guitars you mentioned are good solid choices as well.
In the $1000 and down category there are a plethora of fine choices that will take you a LONG way in the journey you’ve embarked on.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 03-27-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanora View Post
I don't really agree with the waiting advice. Buy a used guitar that sounds and plays good and play it for a while. Figure out what about the guitar you like and what you don't, but keep playing. Sell it and get something more along the lines of what you like, but keep playing. And play some more. You'll end up happier with your choice over the long run.
I generally agree with this advice. Back in the day, in your shoes or maybe another year in, I picked up a used Alvarez, a decent guitar that lasted me for better than a decade before trading up to a Martin D-18. That said, the last time I went shopping I learned a lot about guitar shapes, sizes, woods (and carbon, my current favorite) and more that I had simply never considered. Spend time here, learning and browsing, and spend time in a couple shops if they are close enough and talk to knowledgeable sales people and try out different options. There is a lot to learn, and it can be pretty fun, too! And budget for a setup. May not need it it, but chances are you will. It is not a lot or cash but can be money really well spent.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:24 AM

You won't regret spending the $1000 if the guitar inspires you to pick it up each and every day. So, find something you like the look of, feels great to play, and sounds terrific to your ears.

Enjoy the hunt!
scott
Old 03-27-2019, 08:00 AM

1. Buy used - you'll get a better guitar for the money and you can likely sell it for about the same money later if you decide to move on to something else (as long as you pay a reasonable price to begin with). Or, if you keep it you'll appreciate the value of what you have for years to come. If you buy new you will most likely take a bigger hit on resale.

2. What everybody else says - welcome and have fun!
Old 03-27-2019, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Something to consider...

If you buy new from an Internet retailer, your typical discount will be 25% off list.

If you buy from one of our forum sponsors, you may be able to get a discount approaching 40% off list.

If you buy a used guitar that's in good shape and that has been taken care of, you will typically pay about 50% of new guitar list price.

Many local shops sell at 25% discount of list price but provide you significant service of stocking guitars, allowing you to play first, and giving you somewhere to go if you have warranty issues. Sometimes a local shop will provide you better than a 25% discount under unusual conditions.

One conclusion you might draw is that with a 40% discount on a new instrument plus a new-guitar warranty that buying used may not always be the best direction to go, particularly for a new player who may not yet be an expert on how to judge the condition of a used guitar. Also, with a new guitar, you have more choices. With used guitars, you have to wait for the guitar you want to show up on the AGF, Reverb, Ebay or wherever.

- Glenn
Old 03-27-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
1. Buy used - you'll get a better guitar for the money and you can likely sell it for about the same money later if you decide to move on to something else (as long as you pay a reasonable price to begin with). Or, if you keep it you'll appreciate the value of what you have for years to come. If you buy new you will most likely take a bigger hit on resale.

2. What everybody else says - welcome and have fun!
The OP is relatively new to guitar (a couple of months), and buying used is fraught with potential pitfalls for the inexperienced-especially if buying privately. I would not suggest anything but buying new until he has gained sufficient experience to evaluate a guitar properly. At two months my sum total of experience was, 'that looks nicer than that one'!
Old 03-27-2019, 09:07 AM

Default learning process

I think OP will be well served by first getting his present guitar into the best playable condition possible. That is done without regard to the instrument's cost. Fret leveling, nut and saddle height adjustment, string selection are always profitably done on any instrument. And getting that Fender dialed-in will be a great help in shopping for the next one.

And what to buy? Wait a while and find what the Fender does that isn't right and don't buy one that does the same thing.

If OP hasn't had a good long talk with a teaching professional, now's the time before spending money going up a blind musical alley.

Everybody's advice here is heartfelt and good, but nothing fished off a forum trumps a one-on-one conversation. Maybe more than one conversation.

Guitar playing is a very large collection of skills, learning, and values.

Enjoy!
Old 03-27-2019, 08:23 PM

vernon_d,

I was in your shoes a year or so back. I had a Washburn D10CE (that I still have) but it was not what I would call 'inspirational'.

Against the advice of guitar playing friends, I upgraded to a very lightly used Yamaha LL16D. In contrast to my Washburn (which I had through a few attempts to learn guitar), The Yamaha literally and figuratively "sings to me". Every time I pull it out of the case, tune it up, and start any type of practice or video lesson I am smitten again.

Luckily I found a guy on Craigslist that let this go for much less than a "new" one would have cost.

When I started my research for my "real" guitar, I had a few "must wants" but I made a pact with myself to not get locked into anything or any feature. Having said that, I wanted an all solid wood instrument with above average build quality at the best price point I could find.

After digesting review after review and clicking on what seemd like every affiliate marketing "10 Best" review sites, I kept seeing a pattern of praise for a few lines of all solid wood guitars: Yamaha L-Series, Seagulll Maritime series, Blueridge BR-140, Yamaha A3M, Guild 'Westerly' D-150, and a couple of others.

I was patient and kept my eyes peeled for something in my general list to manifest itself. If I were to do it again today and was buying a new guitar with a $1,000 overall budget, I'd probably look for something in the middle of my budget range and spend the difference on a good sarcophagus (case) that will keep a controllable humidity level sealed in.

However - as others have suggested - go play as many as you can and keep an open ear. Immerse all of your senses in your search and don't let a brand's reputation convince you to overlook any individuasal guitar's lack of a "wow" factor.

You'll know it when you find it (or it finds you).
Fender Baja Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion