The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2019, 02:08 AM

Default Lowden f23c vs s23c

I mainly play fingerstyle and look at getting a lowden.

Which one suits better?

The local distributor only has f23c but i havent got a chance to try on it yet.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:30 AM
Charter Member

The problem with your question is that people who don't know you and have never heard you play will either tell you which guitar they like, or which size they think you should like.

The only real answer is that you should watch and listen to as many demos on YT as possible, including GLG Co's own high quality videos here... https://www.youtube.com/user/georgelowdenguitars ..., and make the effort to get out and play as many examples as possible yourself. Nobody can tell you what you should prefer - it's all down to you.

And, directly contrary to the advice I've just given above, I'll say that I've played Lowdens in every body-size, and my personal favourite in terms of size, comfort and, most importantly, sound, is the F. But that's me - you might prefer something else. Neck-wise, they are all the same profile and nut-width, unless you hit upon one of the occasional 'specials' they make - usually on a custom-order, so not at all common.

I finger-pick all my guitars, and I don't find any difference, apart from the actual sound of the guitar itself, between my 'F' and my 'O'. The F is a more 'focussed' sound than the O (as you would expect). The smaller sizes - S and Wee - are too 'small-body-sounding' for my ears, but there are a lot of Lowdeneers who love them.

So....your money, your choice. If you have to travel to try, I'd say it will be worth the effort. Whatever you choose to do, good luck and best wishes for a happy outcome!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-26-2019, 05:07 PM

Assuming you mean a new S model, rather than an old S, which was actually a jumbo? I think some, if not all, S models are short scale, which also has to be borne in mind too. Most comfortable Lowden I ever played was an S23, but the sound just didn't do it for me.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Based on very limited experience with the 32 (sitka/rosewood) combo, I found the S to be a little boxy (less projection). This was from a very brief comparison at Fretted Frog several years ago. I also had a Wee 23 that suffered the same issue IMO. Not that it didn't sound good, especially strummed, but it just didn't compare at all to the the F (or McIlroy A) body size.

I've owned an O32 and F32c and the F did not lose much in volume from the O. I currently own a McIlroay A30c (F32c equivalent).
Old 03-26-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

F will be louder and project the sound forward much better. Thats not an opinion, that a fact. Same goes for bass response.

Modern F models are 4 3/4" deep so can give you a bit of back ache, but their tone is wonderful. Never played a bad one.

I think the S is comfy and a great couch guitar, but none of my tunes would ever work on it because of the inherent midrange-heavy tone you get in small guitars.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 03-26-2019, 09:36 PM

Default As others have said...

The F models have a much bigger chamber volume than the S models. Not only is the soundboard area larger, but the body depth on the lower bout is 120mm vs 105mm. This makes for a much bigger and more open sounding instrument. Whilst the S models are lovely they do sound small and a little boxy compared with the F and O models.

I have all three Lowden sizes and find the F the best compromise. You get the lovely Lowden overtone-laden, complex sound but with a little more focus than the O series. The O models are the most immediately impressive but there’s so much going on that I feel they’re best suited to fingerstyle playing with lots of space round the notes. The S model I have is a nylon string; I’ve never played a steel-string S model that really grabbed me.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpearson View Post
Whilst the S models are lovely they do sound small and a little boxy compared with the F and O models.

I have all three Lowden sizes and find the F the best compromise.
I have also owned all three and believe the F model gives you a perfect compromise between BIG, overtone rich sound and SMALL delicacy / articulation.

Cincy
Old 03-27-2019, 06:06 AM

Thx a lot. Seems like f series is a better bet. Anyway. Will go and try the f23c. Thx

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion