The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Most of the major airlines (SW, United, and Delta) have been guitar friendly with me, and early boarding groups definitely help. I've traveled many times with my guitars (always in a hard case), and only had to gate check them when the overhead bins were too small --- i.e. smaller planes for short commutes, and one Delta flight, whose bins were just a tad too small... it was a little late to gate check it, so they allowed me to keep it in the "coat closet" at the very front of the plane.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:11 PM

Goin' to Newark and Nazareth on Southwest from San Diego
Thanks for the tips on going' with guitar.
Going to see something new there.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:05 AM

We'll be flying Southwest from Pittsburgh to Reno with a layover in Phoenix in the middle of summer. We're visiting my elderly aunt who was recently widowed and is miserable and I wanted to play for her to see if it would help. I'm wondering if things have changed?

I was hoping to take my Martin D-16GT but borrow a hardshell Epiphone case that I formerly kept my "beater" Takamine dread in. The Martin is far from in pristine shape but the Tak is dead and I don't want to travel with any of my other guitars. Though it's been getting played the most, it's the one (playable) guitar that I'd be least heartbroken over if it were damaged because I bought it solely to perform with under less than ideal circumstance.

What can I expect in this era of excessive heat, rainstorms and earthquakes - not to mention stressed flight attendants and "chuckers?"
Old 07-09-2019, 10:14 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
We'll be flying Southwest from Pittsburgh to Reno with a layover in Phoenix in the middle of summer. We're visiting my elderly aunt who was recently widowed and is miserable and I wanted to play for her to see if it would help. I'm wondering if things have changed?

I was hoping to take my Martin D-16GT but borrow a hardshell Epiphone case that I formerly kept my "beater" Takamine dread in. The Martin is far from in pristine shape but the Tak is dead and I don't want to travel with any of my other guitars. Though it's been getting played the most, it's the one (playable) guitar that I'd be least heartbroken over if it were damaged because I bought it solely to perform with under less than ideal circumstance.

What can I expect in this era of excessive heat, rainstorms and earthquakes - not to mention stressed flight attendants and "chuckers?"
Wow...this is a blast from the past. I started this thread four years ago. Have traveled SW many times since then and happily nothing has changed. Still a VERY guitar friendly airline. I typically fly with a full-size dread in a Hiscox Pro II case. I’ve always been able to bring it as carry on...though with the Hiscox case I’d be okay with gate checking.

As always, the key is to pay the little extra fee for early boarding. That assures there will be room in the overhead bins when you board. Do that and you should have no problem at all...

Old 07-11-2019, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Another thumbs up for SWA. I've had zero issues with carrying on a guitar. I always pay extra for an earlier boarding position if I'm carrying a guitar because it is subject to space availability in the overheads. Also, someone earlier asked if other passengers had an attitude about our guitars taking up overhead space; but if you're part of the early boarding groups, overhead space isn't an issue at that time and stewardesses start closing the bins as they fill up.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:37 PM

Default Beater? Check. Case? Check. Then check it.

I just finished my annual compulsory in-laws' beach vacation, involving two SW flights each way. Although I might have fit my guitar into an overhead bin, it just wasn't worth the trouble. I'd feel like a pig doing that. A cased acoustic guitar is so much larger than a traditional carry-on suitcase. Walking one down a crowded airplane aisle isn't fun, either.

Since I was checking one bag, it was no more cost to check another that happened to be the guitar. I've done this a half-dozen times, with no damage or loss. My Seagull's TRIC case is as sturdy as several inches of stiff crash helmet foam can make it. I sit on it when I play on the beach. And since it's a beach, I'm not bringing my best. If my S6 Cedar Folk was crushed, I'd just spend the settlement money on something better.

Those of you who travel and play for money and fame might have an entirely different take on this, though.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 07-13-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I paid the small extra fee to make sure I was among the first folks boarding the flights...
I recently did the same on Delta, which, of course, meant that I was one of the first after: people needing extra time, active military, first class, Mileage club members with enough miles, people with Delta credit cards, and a another group or two. So, I was at least among the first of the last half. Two planes, no problem stowing my guitar. On the second leg there was another guy with a guitar, and the flight attendant asked him to put it on top of mine.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-13-2019, 08:23 PM

I should mention that I was a bit nervous about taking my HD-28V, but I had recently purchased a Gator travel case with TSA locks. I did have to gate check it a few months ago because the bins in coach on the Alaska commuter plane I was on were too small. I did notice that the bin on one side in first class was larger. They gave the guitar back to me when I exited the plane so it didn't go through baggage handling.

On the return flight I was going to do the same thing. As I was checking in online I was about to pay a $30 baggage fee for my suitcase, and something flashed across the screen asking if I wanted to upgrade to first class for $53. Of course I did, because that included my checked baggage fee and let me board first so I was able to put my guitar in the large first-class overhead bin!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-13-2019, 08:25 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
I just finished my annual compulsory in-laws' beach vacation, involving two SW flights each way. Although I might have fit my guitar into an overhead bin, it just wasn't worth the trouble. I'd feel like a pig doing that. A cased acoustic guitar is so much larger than a traditional carry-on suitcase. Walking one down a crowded airplane aisle isn't fun, either.

Since I was checking one bag, it was no more cost to check another that happened to be the guitar. I've done this a half-dozen times, with no damage or loss. My Seagull's TRIC case is as sturdy as several inches of stiff crash helmet foam can make it. I sit on it when I play on the beach. And since it's a beach, I'm not bringing my best. If my S6 Cedar Folk was crushed, I'd just spend the settlement money on something better.

Those of you who travel and play for money and fame might have an entirely different take on this, though.

I don’t feel like a pig at all. I get nothing but smiles and friendly comments from the flight crew and fellow passengers. Usually asking for a quick performance. As a courtesy my wife and I take no other carry-on luggage. So my one guitar takes up no more room than two carry-ons would.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion