The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2019, 04:15 PM

Default For Australian Members: Best Shops

Calling any Australian who would like to offer their opinion for the best shops in Oz to buy an acoustic (or electric) acoustic being my main focus.

I have heard good things about "Big Music" in North Sydney.

I live in a rural area but I'm prepared to travel.

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:34 PM

I had some fantastic work done by Phil Haworth at Haworth Guitars in Shellharbour. I think they might have a shop in Woolongong too?

My experiences with 'Better Music' in Canberra and 'The Acoustic Centre' in Melbourne have not been positive.

Poor set up job in one and massive overpricing in the other.

I bought my Huss & Dalton last year (through Reverb) from the private collection of the manager of DW Music in Canberra. Very nice guy, good communication and a great transaction. I'd certainly check out the store based on my experience with him too.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 03-26-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:35 PM

Same with Brucebubs, I find Acoustic Centre to be massively overpriced and the manager (I think he was the manager) was dismissive and to a point of being a bit rude to customers. However, I think they might carry the best selection in terms of acoustic guitar here in Melbourne.

I find Terry from Terry Dean's guitar to be a great shop owner, I came with my friend, and he ended up buying a J45 from him. However, I just learned that they are not in the business anymore.

I have a great response via email from DW Music and Gladesville Guitar Factory, I enquire about H&D from DW and Collings from GGF. In the end I ended up buying the Collings online (without trying it first).

I vouch for Gladesville because I was saving up to buy that Collings when AUD to USD increased from approx 1:1 to 1:1.2, and to my surprise they honored the same price in AUD even though the conversion rate of the $ have gone up.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:14 AM
Charter Member

Hi Pete,

I don't have any experience with Aussie shops as I am lucky to buy my guitars when I travel overseas for work. But I get my set ups done locally by Jim Cargill, in Melbourne's southern suburbs. He does a great setup, he builds acoustics with stellar tone and playability and....he often has guitars that customers want to sell. I would trust his judgement on a good used acoustic guitar every time. He sold a Goodall for me some years ago.

Or go to Acoustic Music Centre and buy used - can't speak about their service but they do have a good range.

Col
Old 03-27-2019, 05:59 AM

The acoustic centre in Melbourne definitely has the best selection of guitars. I've not bought one through them, however I have been in there numerous times and they've always been cool with me playing $10-12k guitars. I've always asked and am respectful of guitars and I don't play them too long etc... but if you're after selection/range then they're hard to beat.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:40 PM

G day mate, If your in Sydney check Guitar Factory Gladesville, they have a good selection of Aussie and american made guitars.
I have bought both second hand and new guitars from Acoustic Centre, I never had an issue with them, but my purchases have been online.
One place I highly recomend for online purchases is Great Guitars north of Brisbane.
He has a easy going nature, will take returns if your not happy, you pay for return transport.
His set up service is excellent also.
I have bought and sold guitars through him.
1995 Gibson J 35 Ltd No 7 of 250
1958 Gibson L48
1955 Gibson ES125
Old 03-27-2019, 05:38 PM

For me Guitarfactory in Gladesville is hands down the best shop, I have bought a few guitars and mandolins from them over the years and I love playing the high end stuff they keep upstairs.
Occasionally Global Vintage or Wild Horse Guitars in Sydney will have something interesting in stock.

I use to live by Big Music when it first opened and went to a Taylor roadshow there.

I've moved north now and in Brisvegas I've only been to Guitar Brothers here.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:44 PM

Here are the 2 most dangerous men in Australia

From Acoustic Centre's Facebook page.....
Left: Jim Cargill (Cargill Custom Guitars)
Right: Mick Richarsdon (Acoustic Centre).

Between them, they could get you anything you want, if you have the cash!

BluesKing777.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:17 PM

Just through google searching, I've found Port Mac Guitars to have a decent reputation - https://www.portmacguitars.com.au/
I haven't purchased from them though.
I do enjoy visiting The Acoustic Centre in Melbourne, but have only bought some accessories from them.
If you're looking for a cheap string supplier, check out Artist Guitars, also in Melbourne, picked up a 3pk of D'Addario EXP16's for just $62 delivered. Would have cost me $90 going through my small local shop - https://www.artistguitars.com.au/
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
australian shops