The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2019, 12:44 PM

Default New Godin Fairmont price....

With all respect for Godin that has am excellent reputation, I find their new line of acoustic guitars very overpriced for instruments that have a laminated back and sides. Example: the.concert size Godin Fairmont is listed at 1799 and its street price is 1499....for this price I can buy an all solid wood Taylor or Martin. Maybe these guitats have something special that I am missing? Is there any forum member who owns one and would like to comment?
Old 03-26-2019, 01:05 PM

It's not just acoustics. They've actually raised their prices quite a bit on their electrics, as well. For example, the A6 Ultra (an A/E instrument somewhat along the lines of a Taylor T5 - with a piezo bridge and HB neck pickup that can be blended or played individually) were a fantastic bargain at their previous price of around $700, IIRC. Now, I see the price tends to hover at about $1K for the non-koa veneered model. It's still a relative bargain, but at that price, people are going to look at used Taylor T5s as a direct competitor.

Frankly, I'm not terribly surprised, because I found it hard to understand how they could continue to offer the sort of quality they had at prices well below those of the 'big' name US builders. However, there are still a lot of bargains out there on used Godin, S&P, Seagull, etc. guitars.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Other than their parlor (Which is priced accordingly), it says their new acoustics are all solid wood.

https://e.issuu.com/anonymous-embed....tics_godinonly
Old 03-26-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Weird when looking at some of the listings for these new guitars, the few that are out there, where most don't explicitly call out "all solid", but their official brochure does and the videos do.

The Godin family of brands, while extremely redundent, make ridiculously good, consistent instruments for the price point. All solid, traditional designs are a good move for them and I think they'll do decent. Without seeing one in person or playing one, on paper, their price is right, maybe even low for some of the aesthetic detail.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:40 PM

First of all I dont own one -but to be fair to Godin
( who has a very good reputation for quality instruments ) you really need to give them a try first .
At 1500 street , it may be a very fair price .
And besides to buy a quality Canadian guitar at that price -
seems like a very fair price .
Old 03-26-2019, 03:49 PM

If the guitar that I mentioned is all solid, then it is a totally different story for sure...
Old 03-26-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Other than their parlor (Which is priced accordingly), it says their new acoustics are all solid wood.

https://e.issuu.com/anonymous-embed....tics_godinonly
Yes, they are. However, so are the Seagull Artist and S & P Showcase models for around $1400.00. I would take the Seagull with the wider nut.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:39 PM

Terrible pickguards.
First thing to go if I ever bought one of these.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:00 PM

at $1400 Ud barrow 200 and get a Martin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion