The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2019, 11:55 PM

Default Is C4 middle C or... what?

I was looking at a chart of alternate tunings at HERE. However, the site's note numbering system confuses me. I always thought C4 meant middle C on a piano. Thus, I thought "standard tuning" for a guitar would be E2 A2 D3 G3 B3 E4. However, the site shows it as E1 A1 D2 G2 B2 E3. Is middle C notated as C3 or C4 or what? And why?

Can someone provide a simple explanation of the numbering system, please?
Old 03-26-2019, 12:25 AM

Your link incorrectly states the notes of standard guitar tuning are E1 A1 D2 G2 B2 E3.

Not so according to the universal convention used by professional piano tuners/technicians.
Using their designations for piano notes, the standard guitar tuning notes are E2 A2 D3 G3 B3 E4.

Last edited by Tico; 03-26-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:52 AM

** We were answering at the same time but I'm the slower typist haha.

That webpage is incorrect about guitar standard tuning which is E2 A3 D3 G3 B4 E4 (bass guitar tuning is E1 A2 D4 G4).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/guitar

Yes, middle C is in the 4th octave thus C4 of the eight octave piano scale. The middle note of the piano is A5 (440hertz symphony standard) which is the first note of the 5th octave).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/piano_tuning

Middle C is the approx "middle" of human singing voices, and is within the ranges of bass, baritone, tenor, alto, soprano etc voices.

Voice (and percussion) are the earliest and best understood instruments and it's characteristics were used to anchor music theory as other instruments evolved.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/vocal_range.

Cheers.

Last edited by casualmusic; 03-26-2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
That webpage is wrong about guitar standard tuning which is E2 A3 D3 G3 B4 E4
Sorry, but while you are right that the link is incorrect, what you wrote is also incorrect.
Per the standard note designation used by every piano technician, guitars are tuned to E2 A2 D3 G3 B3 E4.
BTW your wiki source, which includes this chart, does label them correctly.

Attachment 20798

FWIW people using incorrect note names is very common.
It happens when someone starts counting note names from the left of a standard 88-note keyboard without being aware of the history of how and why note designations that don't make sense today got set in stone long before our great grandparents were born.

If a person counts notes on today's pianos (starting at the left bass side) they will understandably make the mistake of calling the A that is 440 Hz A5.
After all, it is the fifth A on today's pianos.
But its proper name is A4 because the first A is called A0, not A1.

Here are the names of the lowest notes on today's standard 88 note piano:
A0
A#0
B0
C1
C#1
D1
D#1
and so on

But why? What's up with those 3 zeros?
The first piano in 1720 had only 54 keys.
Higher and lower notes were gradually added over time.

I suspect the reason today's lowest 3 notes have that confusing zero designation is: on pianos long ago, the lowest note was a C.
For whatever reason the zero-designations of those lowest 3 notes just stuck, even to this day.
Perhaps for many generations the lowest note on those pianos was a C.

To keep the previous and familiar note designations, when those 3 lowest notes were added, they had to designate them with some number lower than 1, hence the zero.
At least that's my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
The middle note of the piano is A5 (440hertz symphony standard) which is the first note of the 5th octave).

en.wikipaedia.org/wiki/piano_tuning

As already explained the proper designation for the A that vibrates at 440 Hz is A4, not A5.
Ask any real piano tuner.

Last edited by Tico; 05-27-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:47 AM

I agree with the web-page. That is the best way to describe the tunings. The web-page author is adhering to the communications rule of K.I.S.S (Keep it simple stupid!)
Writing the tunings in the correct form will only confuse people...the majority of people, who will start asking additional and obvious questions, e.g why is the lowest string an E2 and not an E1? Then you'll have go into explanations involving 88 key pianos, music theory and physics...

In short, the author has given you the template for the standard tuning...which we all know and love. So now you can figure out the other tunings using that template.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 03-26-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
Writing the tunings in the correct form will only confuse people...the majority of people, who will start asking additional and obvious questions, e.g why is the lowest string an E2 and not an E1? Then you'll have go into explanations involving 88 key pianos, music theory and physics...
Uh ... so if the right thing is too difficult for some to understand we should teach the wrong thing? Glad my doctor didn't go to that school.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:41 AM

I'd be less surprised if they had gone the other direction - and erroneously identified the low E as E3 instead of E2, since the lowest open string in standard tuning is notated for guitar the same way an E3 is notated for piano.

It kind of seems to me that maybe the author of that site wasn't familiar with scientific pitch notation at all and just decided to use "1" as shorthand for the lowest octave on a guitar.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:56 AM

"As already explained the A that vibrates at 440 Hz is properly designated A4, not A5.
Ask any real piano tuner."
Real piano tuner here! Yes, A440 is A4 and all above about lowest A on piano being A0 is correct.
However........there may be some confusion because if a keyboard person who reads the musical staves sees guitar music written as the dots on treble/bass clef, it is shown an octave adrift.......

By the way, if you are tuning to a piano, best not to try tuning the six strings to the six notes of the piano. Just pick one note (for instance the g) tune that to the piano then tune the guitar separately. This is because the piano strings are at vastly higher tension than guitar strings so the octave stretch required over the three octaves covered by the six open strings of the guitar, is very different.
Nick
Old 03-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
... ...By the way, if you are tuning to a piano, best not to try tuning the six strings to the six notes of the piano. Just pick one note (for instance the g) tune that to the piano then tune the guitar separately. ... ...
But seriously... I have learned a lot from this thread. This forum is the greatest!! Thanks to all.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-23-2020 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Edited.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion