The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 03-05-2019, 06:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Alvarez 5055 Bluesman

I am searching for one of these. Kind of a radical design (f-holes without an arch top) as I played one recently and really liked the sound and looks. They only made this guitar for a few years in the late 1990s or so. I would have bought the one I saw but there were some issues with the electronics and also the neck. I know there's one for sale on one of the big auction sites but I'd feel more comfortable dealing with a member here. thanks! Gene
Old 03-26-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Hi Gene,

Just stumbled across this and remembered your post.

http://rudysmusic.com/used-vintage-s...varez-bluesman

No price is posted - they want folks to call for prices on their used gear. Looks nice, though...
Old 03-27-2019, 08:38 AM

That’s basically the same guitar as my Alvarez AD65 except mine has the more modern head stock that they still use. According to Alvarez (I emailed them) they made the AD65 from 98-99. The guy said the F holes were something “they tried but didn’t catch on”.
My Alvarez is a sexy sunburst (and they say only Gibson can do it lol) that plays really smooth but it’s sound is more inline with a Taylor in my option but I still enjoy it. It’s all ply construction..... They said the MSRP back then was $600. I found mine at a pawn shop in dirty, but otherwise mint condition for $250 out the door
Old 04-18-2019, 08:06 PM

Check eBay, this one was previously listed at $699 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alvarez-505...MAAOSwgotcM7Os

It is worth its new price of $499. I have one and it is from 1998 and still looks mint. It hangs in my living room 24/7. I put Elixr strings on it to get as much tone as possible. I love those strings. Doesn’t have the Martin low end but it is an amazing guitar. Plays fantastic and looks beautiful. I have had a few Alvarez guitars over the years I consider them 3rd place to Martin and Guild. Anyways that’s another thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars