The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-08-2018, 10:49 AM

Default Andrew Mowry archtops?

Hi. I know Andrew's work as a mandolin builder, and I profiled him for Mandolin Magazine. But I've never seen or heard one of his archtop guitars. Anyone out there own one, or have played one enough to form an opinion?

TIA,

David McCarty
Old 06-08-2018, 03:16 PM

Hi, I’ve always wanted to try out Andrew’s work—the aesthetic fidelity to vintage Gibsons is striking and the craftsmanship is incredibly clean. I think the fellow who runs Carmel Music has had one or two of Andrew’s 16” archtops and would be a good contact. He’s also carried Steve Gilchrist’s similar instruments. Good luck and let us know what you find! —Richard
Old 06-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

I was hoping there would be some response. I've been a little surprised there hasn't been much mention of archtops by mandolin makers since I started looking at this forum. Seems like a natural since the first archtops were built by a mandolin maker (right?) Besides Mowry' Bill Bussman of Old Wave comes to mind & I have an archtop from Bruce Weber, a recent acquisition that I'm loving playing but the only other archtop I've played was a 30's L50 at a music store so it's hard for me to draw much of a comparison there. Those Mowry's do look fine!
Old 06-13-2018, 07:04 PM

You should post a pic and tell us a little more about the Weber archtop. I wrote a very longwinded piece on an archtop by mandolin-maker Steve Gilchrist. I agree the overlaps are considerable.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
You should post a pic and tell us a little more about the Weber archtop. I wrote a very longwinded piece on an archtop by mandolin-maker Steve Gilchrist. I agree the overlaps are considerable.
I posted a thread a little while back https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=508832

* Found your Gilchrist thread, she's a beaut! I've never played a Gilchrist guitar or mando but I know the name is one of the most respected in the business. Way out of my league but then so is the Weber. Inspiring to attempt to play though. I'm at the point in life where I appreciate having nice instruments to play on and anyway, when the time comes they'll still be worth a bit so why not? I'd love to try one of those Mowry's too. I saw one of the GBOM's in the classifieds once & was sorely tempted. I bet the guitars would be wonderful.

Last edited by THart; 06-14-2018 at 01:32 PM. Reason: found the Gilchrist thread
Old 06-25-2018, 09:59 AM

Just another builder who knocks off pre war L5`s..
Old 06-25-2018, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Wow, that's pretty dismissive of a well respected builder. You've played both the L-5 & a Mowry? I don't see anything wrong with a good builder borrowing from the classics, that's how instruments progress. I imagine Andrew Mowry adds his own ideas & on building but like the OP, it would be nice to hear from someone who's played one. It seems like there's no one on this forum who has though. Probably not many of them around.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:36 AM

I have played 2 non cut,there ok by like my pre war L5 much better..PS they are wonderful guitars, just not for me..
Old 06-26-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THart View Post
Wow, that's pretty dismissive of a well respected builder. You've played both the L-5 & a Mowry? I don't see anything wrong with a good builder borrowing from the classics, that's how instruments progress. I imagine Andrew Mowry adds his own ideas & on building but like the OP, it would be nice to hear from someone who's played one. It seems like there's no one on this forum who has though. Probably not many of them around.

I agree. Nothing shameful or untoward about having an exterior shape modeled after a classic. In flattops, Collings became an established "A" brand by doing just that with guitars that look like Martins, although they have their own sound. Guitars, even electric solid bodies, tend to gravitate toward classic design paradigms.

While I do admire more the builders who introduce originality in their designs - exemplified in the extreme by Ken Parker - it's perfectly understandable why many, perhaps most, small builders choose to mimic the L-5 shape, since the classic look is what most archtop players are looking for when they purchase.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:59 PM

I'm more of a mandolin player than a guitar player. The Wintergrass Festival in Bellevue, WA is always a highlight of my year, and meeting up with Andrew Mowry and Austin Clark in the builder's room is always highlight of Wintergrass. Both those guys build exquisite mandolins and archtop guitar bodied octave mandolins. I've never played a guitar built by either but I know it would be great.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Mowry L-5

Andrew is shipping an L-5 style guitar to me today. If anyone would like photos, shoot me an email at: [email protected]
Old 04-30-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefoolonhill View Post
Andrew is shipping an L-5 style guitar to me today. If anyone would like photos, shoot me an email at: [email protected]
How's the Mowry?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops