The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Almost ... the second is actually a full A shape that he bars with index finger (e.g. at 1:23). I tend to play this with an ukulele which makes it much easier, and I can still sing it well at 1.5 notes higher.
Thanks for pointing that out, you are right.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:18 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Almost ... the second is actually a full A shape that he bars with index finger
Yes - that's what I was getting at earlier. Makes it very simple

Old 12-05-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
Glenn, how awesome! How apropos! Isn't it amazing that I started this thread and you had already figured out the very thing! LOL!
Not to mention his awesome singing voice. I have a Gibson Advanced Jumbo like he's playing the lead on but mine is the maple version.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarbarian View Post
I don't have a trained musician's ear, but it seems to me that in that YouTube video, they're playing the song at a faster tempo than the version I'm more familiar with.
Yes, that's common in live versions. Sometimes it would be deliberate - they want to apply a different feel - other times it's because musicians are naturally less relaxed when playing live, and when one is nervous or tense one naturally plays faster without realising it. Even professionals can suffer from this, but they wouldn't necessarily consider it a bad thing - adrenalin is in the nature of live performance, and tempo is not always critical, a song can work at various different speeds. Provide you don't stumble over the words or the guitar part, the speed is a matter of taste or preference.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Provide you don't stumble over the words or the guitar part, the speed is a matter of taste or preference.
Indeed, this is one of the few songs where I really have to watch my breathing so I don't fizzle out at the end of the line.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write