The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-21-2018, 04:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Bob,
Here's segment from a TV show I did a very long time ago. This is my 1930 TG-L5 played in open D.

You'll have to fast forward to the 22 minute mark. I did try to mark it to start there, but it refuses to carry over into the 'paste'.

Try to ignore the buzzing/distortion in one of the channels. I have no idea why it wasn't addressed when they put it up on youtube.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 10-21-2018, 10:12 AM

By referring to hollowbody archtop guitars as "jazz boxes" you're already unintentionally eliminating hollowbody guitars not really aimed at jazz players - ones with hotter pickups, faster necks, etc, probably much better for blues or rockabilly, and even plain old rock.

Really, any type of music can be played on any type of guitar (Strats and Teles and LPs sound fantastic playing jazz, for eg - I mean, Les Paul designed his guitar(s) for jazz, not rock), but hollow body models and/or brands definitely aim more for players of certain genres and not others. Suit to taste.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldRocker View Post
... LPs sound fantastic playing jazz...Les Paul designed his guitar(s) for jazz, not rock....
Several years ago I had the opportunity to set up a gennie '58 PAF goldtop/darkback for a since-passed local WW II vet, who bought it new back in the day (forget it - his grandkids got it, they know exactly what it is and what it's worth, and it's not going anywhere)...

I did it as it would have come from the factory six decades ago - flatwound 12's, ultra-low action (this was the last year for the first-run "fretless wonder" low/narrow frets)...

Plugged it into both his early-60's Sano 1x12" combo and my Bugera V22 - ran through the gamut of chord-melody, single-string, comp chops, country, rockabilly, blues, vintage R&B, as well as some classic-rock crunch and overdriven leads...

If you've been removing the pickup covers, stringing up with 8s/9s/10s, and using your vintage-style LP strictly as a hard-rock machine, you're sacrificing a world of tone color and tone in the process - and if you're a speed player/shredder FYI those fat post-'59 frets aren't the be-all-end-all...
Old 10-22-2018, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hi Bob,
Here's segment from a TV show I did a very long time ago. This is my 1930 TG-L5 played in open D.

You'll have to fast forward to the 22 minute mark. I did try to mark it to start there, but it refuses to carry over into the 'paste'.

Try to ignore the buzzing/distortion in one of the channels. I have no idea why it wasn't addressed when they put it up on youtube.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Howard,

Thanks for sharing that. I enjoyed the entire program!

Cheers,

Bob
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-24-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hi Bob,

Regards,
Howard Emerson
awww man that slide was tasty! I've got a reso for slide but I'm going to give it a go on the archtop now.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops