The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-26-2019, 08:25 AM

After this thread popped up I thought I'd pay attention to the weight of the resonator and acoustic when I played both sitting down. Most of the pressure I felt on my leg came from my arm draped on top of the guitars.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:10 PM

One problem that I've had with metal-bodied resos is that they tend to be heavy in the butt. That is, the metal lower bouts tend to make the guitar a bit unbalanced sitting on my right leg, and the bottom of the guitar tends to dive, pulling the neck up. A corresponding problem is that many do not have a very tight waist, and so when playing classical position (guitar on the left leg, body between the legs) the guitar wants to slip between the legs. Which is not a problem that I seem to have with my Rayco, which is a wood-bodied 00 size.

OMMV
Old 03-26-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
After this thread popped up I thought I'd pay attention to the weight of the resonator and acoustic when I played both sitting down. Most of the pressure I felt on my leg came from my arm draped on top of the guitars.
Oh right, I forgot about that, but that's always going to be there. I wonder if anyone has ever put an arm rest on a metal resonator... although I guess the amount of pressure transferred through the guitar body onto the thigh would be the same any way, with only the player's arm and shoulder benefiting from the armrest.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
One problem that I've had with metal-bodied resos is that they tend to be heavy in the butt. That is, the metal lower bouts tend to make the guitar a bit unbalanced sitting on my right leg, and the bottom of the guitar tends to dive, pulling the neck up. A corresponding problem is that many do not have a very tight waist, and so when playing classical position (guitar on the left leg, body between the legs) the guitar wants to slip between the legs. Which is not a problem that I seem to have with my Rayco, which is a wood-bodied 00 size.

OMMV
Yeah, that's what roylor4 was saying. I guess if the left leg is elevated on a stool, then the right thigh / knee can get underneath the guitar a bit, so that the butt is pushed up?

They should make a metal reso with a helium chamber in it. Or hydrogen!
Old 03-26-2019, 11:03 PM

While I prefer to play sitting down, I can and do play standing, with the strap attached to the headstock. I have a NRP 12, steel. Its heavy, not as heavy as a german steel or brass (I think)
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 03-27-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Yeah, that's what roylor4 was saying. I guess if the left leg is elevated on a stool, then the right thigh / knee can get underneath the guitar a bit, so that the butt is pushed up?

They should make a metal reso with a helium chamber in it. Or hydrogen!
And you'd get all those chipmunk-y high notes too!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments