The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2024, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Gibson guitars tend to be much less responsive than Martins. If you are used to hitting the strings fairly hard on your J-45, then you are probably hitting the strings on your D-35 too hard.

Maybe the Hummingbird is the better choice for you. For me, I would take a D-35 over a Hummingbird any day of the week, but we each have our own playing style. You have to do what works for you.

- Glenn
Old 04-13-2024, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

I am not sure what your price range is, but there are some Custom Shop Hummingbird Koas out there right now that are spectacular. The inlay work on these is incredible. I played all the ones Fullers had in stock a while back for a buddy in Arkansas who picked the best of the litter and bought it.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-13-2024, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I own a D35 and I like it a lot. I don't own a Gibson hummingbird but I own the Epiphone IBG variation, which I like a lot too. I have played a few Gibson Hummingbirds and they are nice too, but I doubt I'll ever own one. In my opinion, find some strings that work well for the sound you want on the D35. Maybe play around with pick thickness too. A Hummingbird will cost well north of what the D35 will bring if you sell it. Unless you really want to spend that money, stick with the D35.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:06 PM

I have to confess I don't know what people mean when they say they want a "complimentary" guitar, and they say that a lot here.

I can only play one guitar at a time, and I don't do any recording where I might mix two or more guitars.

How does one guitar "compliment" another? By sounding the same? By sounding different?

I've always sought variety - I've got a great HD-28, an Eastman carved archtop, a round neck spider bridge resonator, a gypsy jazz Sel-Mac copy, an old Ovation 12 string, a cedar topped OM and an all mahogany 000-15SM. I don't see how any of these "compliment" any of the others. They each contrast with the others, allowing a lot of different sounds. What concept does everyone mean that I'm missing?

And the whole thing about needing a guitar that matches/compliments my voice is an often stated concept I don't get either. Using lead and harmony while playing fiddle, mandolin, mandola, octave mandolin, mandocello, any/all of my guitars and upright bass. These instruments are all widely different, yet my voice is the same in each case. Another concept I haven't yet grasped - getting an instrument that matches my voice.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 04-13-2024, 12:27 PM

Thank you for all the thoughtful replies. I have come to the conclusion that I will keep my D35. The rabbit hole never ends unless you say to yourself that what you have is good enough. For most people it would be a dream to own both a D35 and J45. What a time to be alive.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I have to confess I don't know what people mean when they say they want a "complimentary" guitar, and they say that a lot here.

I can only play one guitar at a time, and I don't do any recording where I might mix two or more guitars.

How does one guitar "compliment" another? By sounding the same? By sounding different?

I've always sought variety - I've got a great HD-28, an Eastman carved archtop, a round neck spider bridge resonator, a gypsy jazz Sel-Mac copy, an old Ovation 12 string, a cedar topped OM and an all mahogany 000-15SM. I don't see how any of these "compliment" any of the others. They each contrast with the others, allowing a lot of different sounds. What concept does everyone mean that I'm missing?

And the whole thing about needing a guitar that matches/compliments my voice is an often stated concept I don't get either. Using lead and harmony while playing fiddle, mandolin, mandola, octave mandolin, mandocello, any/all of my guitars and upright bass. These instruments are all widely different, yet my voice is the same in each case. Another concept I haven't yet grasped - getting an instrument that matches my voice.
It's an interesting set of questions, and most likely would be best as a separate thread. I think the OP has made his decision, and I think he made the right one.

To briefly answer your questions. As for guitars complimenting each other? I have guitars that I consider to be best for strumming. I have guitars that sound better flat picking individual notes, and I have guitars that sound better finger picked, but break up or sound boxy when strummed hard. In my mind, these guitars compliment each other. They don't try to steal each other's thunder. I'm not buying multiple guitars that excel in the same way. I might have one guitar that's a bit more generic (Eastman E1D). It sounds okay in all applications but was cheaper. That's my jam guitar. I don't care if it gets scratches or dings.

For your other question, some guitars have a scooped mid, some accentuate the mids. Some accentuate the bass or treble. The perfect guitar for your singing has to be auditioned. Figure out where your vocals sit then find a guitar that doesn't try to occupy that same sonic space. To compliment means they work well together. You shouldn't have to fight a guitar to get your vocals to blend in.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfullanytime View Post
Thank you for all the thoughtful replies. I have come to the conclusion that I will keep my D35. The rabbit hole never ends unless you say to yourself that what you have is good enough. For most people it would be a dream to own both a D35 and J45. What a time to be alive.
Great choice. As a fellow D35 owner, I bet you can make it work with a bit of experimenting.
Old 04-13-2024, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good choice. I have a J45 and a D41 so pretty close….
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-13-2024, 03:49 PM

I'd just stick with the J-45. You're happy with it.

Hummingbirds are wonderful instruments, but two expensive spruce/mahogany dreads doesn't make much sense to me.

On the other hand, some people just like having a lot of guitars. If that's you, go for it.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
With practice, you could even sing over 2 D-35s :

Old 04-13-2024, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

My D35 and J45 were my two main guitars for nearly twenty years. Vastly different instruments.

I still have one of each along with the hummingbird Murphy lab. All with unique attributes, none of which are better or worse than another. The bird and the 45 are similar but not enough to be redundant.

Enjoy playing both!
Old 04-13-2024, 11:26 PM

For the music you’re playing I’d go with the Hummingbird, such a warm, syrupy percussive tone that suits the genres you mentioned so well.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 04-14-2024, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

Since you have decided to keep your D35, you may want to enjoy exploring different picks, strings, and pins. A thicker pick, ebony pins, and a set of Martin Monel Retro or D’Addario Nickel Bronze strings may cut down on the D35’s overtones.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:37 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
I just bought a Gibson J45 1942 banner Murphy Lab, and it finally felt like coming home.

I also have a Martin D35 (reimagined), but so far I feel the J45 is much easier to handle. The D35’s overtones can sometimes overflow my voice, but it has also not been played in. It «rings» alot, which is both beautiful, and fatiguing over time. The treble response is nearly too much (using Martin PB 0.12).

I have bought and sold many guitars over the years, but have become tired of never being satisfied. I have become somewhat of a minimalist the later years, and want to be happy with what I got. I want to learn to use it, and grow old with it (my inner Buddhist speaking).

I sometimes think about a Hummingbird, and if it either would bring something my D35 would not, or if the D35 would grow into something more in a few years. Or maybe the J45 is even more than good enough as my only guitar, and so close to a Hummingbird that they’re nearly the same guitar.

I mostly play by myself, and play standard pop, rock, country, inspired by everything from Beatles to 90's grunge. Mostly strumming and fingerpick, and some flatpick if the licks require it.
In your position, I would add something lighter and more emo - like a Taylor 14 series (814? perhaps) or a Martin 00 or 000. Something you can fingerstyle and play with sensitivity, for quiet moments —
Former AGF Moderator

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion