The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 AM

Default Greven 000hb Sunken Treasure Braz! SOLD

SOLD shipped CONUS.

Reduced to SOLD shipped CONUS (economy shipping or $75 credit towards whatever).

EDIT—the neck is more of a traditional soft V

After acquiring my grail I have been selling several exceptional instruments.
Have reluctantly decided to let this one go. I cannot justify keeping it with my current collection. I think the listing below will provide all the information I could possibly provide.

Happy to answer any questions and provide photos, in hand description, etc. Just pm me or text my cell 910-620-4883.

The guitar is in excellent condition with no damage whatsoever (just as I bought it). It has been housed in a smoke-free, pet free home in a humidified case. It is currently set up for fingerstyle with low action. Plenty of meat on the saddle. The neck is a very comfortable slight V. Responsive, light and amazing tone. Thanks for looking!

https://www.guitargal.com/products/g...7-000hb-guitar

Last edited by ALBD; 06-25-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Smile Wow!

What a guitar!!!

Best on this.

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-18-2018, 04:08 PM

What is the grail guitar if you don't mind sharing?

a few too many
Old 06-18-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWF View Post
What is the grail guitar if you don't mind sharing?
Don’t mind at all. It’s a late 90s Kim Walker 000. Mahogany and Sitka. The Greven is in the same class tonally, but the Walker is my perfect guitar for the alt country finger picking and hand strumming I primarily do. Thanks for the interest!
Old 06-18-2018, 06:16 PM

With John Greven being one of my very best friends...so no bias here {;-)...

I had the pleasure of watching this guitar being made, and being the first to try it out right off the bench...so let me offer a couple thoughts

John and Lutz spruce are a match made in heaven...the tone/timbre he gets from his guitars and the tonal envelope of Lutz are just absolutely right on the same page. There is this almost 3D reverby/subswoofery ambience that all his lutz guitars have...I know...I have two. It is this very full and rich timbre that just sort of rides beneath the primary tonal color...like Bill Evan's comp work on Kind Of Blue...if ya get my drift.

The guitar is also extremely broken in and open sounding, not "boxy" in any way...no one would ever guess you were playing an OM size guitar. This guitar was like that from the moment John first strung it up...again...some of that is John and Lutz working together.

As is completely typical of all John's guitars...it is a very warm, sweet, lyrical, musical...very musical instrument...be sure and click the Guitar Gallery link and listen to the clips.

Just for fun...John made this with the very vintage Martin "Birds Beak" 2 piece neck/headstock joint, and the neck is made out of Spanish Cedar.

And of course...the Brazilian...very old school, TRULY old growth Brazilian, which has/had a tap tone like bronze...literally. John has only 1 set left of this particular group of brazilian, and he is saving it for something special to come...in a year or two...we'll see...

I am NOT affiliated with the seller in any way...just the builder...and this is a really and truly majestic but down to earth, approachable/playable, and friendly guitar.

And musical...so very musical.

Oh...and John's warranty...lifetime...follows the guitar not the buyers...so your under warranty when you own this no matter how many owned it before you.

Go ahead...take a chance...find out why so few Greven guitars come up for sale, and don't last long when they do...in spite of the fact that John has made 2,354 to date.

There's a reason {;-)

duff...a Grevenista
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 06-18-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
With John Greven being one of my very best friends...so no bias here {;-)...

I had the pleasure of watching this guitar being made, and being the first to try it out right off the bench...so let me offer a couple thoughts

John and Lutz spruce are a match made in heaven...the tone/timbre he gets from his guitars and the tonal envelope of Lutz are just absolutely right on the same page. There is this almost 3D reverby/subswoofery ambience that all his lutz guitars have...I know...I have two. It is this very full and rich timbre that just sort of rides beneath the primary tonal color...like Bill Evan's comp work on Kind Of Blue...if ya get my drift.

The guitar is also extremely broken in and open sounding, not "boxy" in any way...no one would ever guess you were playing an OM size guitar. This guitar was like that from the moment John first strung it up...again...some of that is John and Lutz working together.

As is completely typical of all John's guitars...it is a very warm, sweet, lyrical, musical...very musical instrument...be sure and click the Guitar Gallery link and listen to the clips.

Just for fun...John made this with the very vintage Martin "Birds Beak" 2 piece neck/headstock joint, and the neck is made out of Spanish Cedar.

And of course...the Brazilian...very old school, TRULY old growth Brazilian, which has/had a tap tone like bronze...literally. John has only 1 set left of this particular group of brazilian, and he is saving it for something special to come...in a year or two...we'll see...

I am NOT affiliated with the seller in any way...just the builder...and this is a really and truly majestic but down to earth, approachable/playable, and friendly guitar.

And musical...so very musical.

Oh...and John's warranty...lifetime...follows the guitar not the buyers...so your under warranty when you own this no matter how many owned it before you.

Go ahead...take a chance...find out why so few Greven guitars come up for sale, and don't last long when they do...in spite of the fact that John has made 2,354 to date.

There's a reason {;-)

duff...a Grevenista
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Thank you, sir. That is an exceptional and well said endorsement of Mr. Greven. He is indeed a talented and friendly man.

P.s. I’m working hard on being player
Old 06-18-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
Don’t mind at all. It’s a late 90s Kim Walker 000. Mahogany and Sitka. The Greven is in the same class tonally, but the Walker is my perfect guitar for the alt country finger picking and hand strumming I primarily do. Thanks for the interest!
Seeing you're from Carolina and you're throwing around "Alt Country"... Any chance you're a Ryan Adams fan?

Also just curious, what makes this guitar not as suited for the style you play now versus the Kin Walker?
Old 06-18-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunfoti View Post
Seeing you're from Carolina and you're throwing around "Alt Country"... Any chance you're a Ryan Adams fan?

Also just curious, what makes this guitar not as suited for the style you play now versus the Kin Walker?
Gotta love Ryan Adams! I wouldn’t say it’s not suited for anything you could throw at it acoustically, because it is. But to my ear, the Walker has that thump and note separation mahogany will give you. It’s dirtier in a wonderful way if that makes sense. The Greven is haunting, sweet and full. I’m not going to lose any sleep if I can’t sell it.

But if you ask my wife, they sound exactly alike. And I owe her a nice gift! Sacrifices.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
Gotta love Ryan Adams! I wouldn’t say it’s not suited for anything you could throw at it acoustically, because it is. But to my ear, the Walker has that thump and note separation mahogany will give you. It’s dirtier in a wonderful way if that makes sense. The Greven is haunting, sweet and full. I’m not going to lose any sleep if I can’t sell it.

But if you ask my wife, they sound exactly alike. And I owe her a nice gift! Sacrifices.
I hear that. I always catch myself ogling BRAZ and then I remember I prefer Hog tonally. This is one of those guitars I put on my gotta have it list. One day.

I do love my Collings D1AV. It has some beautiful sounds for my ear. It's well on its way to breaking in (heard a D1T that was even more articulate so I can only imagine in 10 years what this will sound like). I always wonder whether I'd bond with rosewood. Anyway, glws. Hopefully for my sake I stop hanging around this thread bc I'm afraid I'll mortgage my house for this little beauty.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:32 PM

Default Reduced

Somebody needs this!
Old 06-22-2018, 05:21 PM

Default Some images added

Apologies for the size, quality, etc. Text me if you want more!

Note I added bone pins. I still have the originals that will be included in the case. Thx for looking.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:03 AM

Default Still available

I thought she was sold but the buyer went completely dark on me. Hope he is just a flake and is OK (If your reading this).

Either way, his loss, someone else’s gain! Reasonable offers welcome.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2018, 08:43 AM

Default SOLD

SOLD to a wise and serious buyer! Enjoy your new "lifetime guitar," sir!

THX AGF
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars