The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-04-2018, 01:17 PM

Default U2 wireless guitar system

I just received the U2 wireless guitar system by xvive (here it is on Amazon if you want to take a quick look http://https://www.amazon.com/Xvive-rechargeable-2-4GHZ-Wireless-Guitar/dp/B01N4DSQBR/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1517771331&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=xvive+u2+wireless+guitar+system&psc =1) and I’m having an odd problem: when used on one of my Gibson acoustics, the system emits a high pitched whistle, even at fairly low volumes. But when I tried it on a Martin, a Takemine, and a telecaster, the whistle was either gone or so low that it didn’t pose a problem. The Gibsons have factory installed Fishman pickups, the Martin has a K and K mini (not sure what’s in the Tak).

Any ideas about why this would be happening? (I realize that this is red meat for any Gibson trolls out there, but bear with me please.) I like the system, particularly its small form and ease of use, and I’d hate to send it back without seeing if there’s a way to make it work. Any ideas?
Old 02-04-2018, 03:34 PM

It could be a similar issue that people found with the Line 6 G10 system. With some active electronics, the G10 created interference issues. Maybe search that as there was a remedy for it.

On a more personal note, I owned the U2 and had so many issues with it that I finally just returned it. Three of the four channels would not stay connected and the one channel that did work, caused far too much interference through my amp. I tried it live with an acoustic and the interference was so loud that I had to go back to using cables. I got a replacement and it had the exact same issues. People praise it but after owning two, I am pretty confident in saying that it's not as great as people say.

The other downside is the customer service. Xvive are non-existent and when they do reply, it's often difficult to understand what they are trying to suggest. Luckily the store I purchased it from took both back.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:44 PM

Default U2 wireless guitar system

Some guitars have electronics where you simply can’t have the transmitter that close to the guitar. My Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE is like that. It’s fine with a traditional wireless transmitter on the strap, but I can hear electrical interference when I use a transmitter that plugs directly into the guitar. It’s a bummer because I really like that design otherwise.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification